RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-29-2020, 04:37 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Installing Houghton Quiet AC on an Interstate

If I make a post about putting a Houghton Quiet AC unit on an Interstate will it stay on this page? Hearing from all Airstream owners is great but this will be a specific project to putting it on an Interstate. Looking for the best advice for mounting and wiring it up, especially to keep the furnace running with the Houghton Quiet AC unit installed.

If you make the install, make sure to keep the board and the temp sensor out of the Dometic Penguin II to make it work. Thatís what Iíve found so far. Looking for someone who might have information on the specific wiring that needs to take place to make it work correctly.

For those installing it on a Interstate, there is a adaptor available specific to the Interstate/Sprinter to mount it to the roof from Hein. You need to measure where the hole is (look for specifics from Hein on what measurement they need). I have to take our Dometic unit off first before I can make the measurement. The plates are specifically made to match where the roof ribs lie with where your AC unit hole is cut. This may delay my project until spring because I only have garage access over the weekend through the winter months.

Interested if anyone else has attempted this project install on their Interstate?...
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
Is the furnace part of the Houghton AC (a heat pump)? If not can't you use the existing thermostat to control the existing LPG furnace, and use the Houghton control for the AC? My thermostat has heat pump feature that I don't have/use, and don't know that it would care if you are also not using the AC part of it.

Interesting that the Hein adaptor is unique to the rib location. My AC is approximately centered on the roof, but wouldn't want to bet the Airstream is consistent in their location unit to unit.

Looking forward to reading about your project. We don't use the AC enough to make it worth changing while the current one works. We are seldom in it during the heat of day except when we are driving - and seldom camp in places where shore power is available. We use our furnace on cool nights far more frequently than we'd ever use an AC on hot nights. But would definitely consider one that is more quiet if our current one fails.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
If I make a post about putting a Houghton Quiet AC unit on an Interstate will it stay on this page? ......
I find it helpful to explain at the front of a thread why a certain topic is specific to Interstates and not trailers, and thus needs to remain on the Sprinter and B Van child forum.

The other example that comes to mind is awnings. Mounting an awning on an Interstate has nothing whatsoever to do with trailer awnings. The specs are different, the body configuration is different, the challenges and wiring and failure pathways are all different.

Same thing with a/c. The Interstate is a different application. The Interstate is not a trailer. That is why we have the Sprinter and B Van child forum, so that we can discuss OUR issues in the context of OUR vehicles.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:29 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
I guess I made the mistake of thinking since itís posted in the Sprinter van forum that it relates to a Sprinter Van. My bad... . Foolish thinking on my part. Guess I should have included the picture of my VAN AC unit!
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote