Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2018, 07:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
Info on Renting my 2015 Interstate

Has anyone considered, looked into renting their Interstate , when not using, to help offset cost? There are sites like RV Share that advertise and connect you with potential renters. Of course they would have to be screened and approved by owners. I know there are risk involved such as additional insurance cost, liability, etc.
RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:35 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Moncks Corner , South Carolina
I have a 2016 Interstate. It has taken me over a year to learn the ins and outs of the house portion of the Interstate. Too much to mess up for a newbie. No way would I consider renting it out nor lending it to anyone to operate. Cost too much to purchase and repairs are costly when you finally figure out what the issue is.
Delores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:50 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
I know, that scares me. It has to be a experienced over before i would do it.
RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:54 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
No way. I wouldn't even let family members use it. Far too much chance of screwing something up.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
No, no, no, no, noooo.

Maggie
Old 09-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #6
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Errhhh... nope... Heck, we have an apartment back home and I don't rent it nor let people borrow it... we have our clothes and personal items there so that we are able to just grab a backpack and go... Same as we do with the AI now...

As long as it is financially feasible... not renting nor letting anyone else borrow my house (mobile or fixed). If it ever comes to that I would just consider selling it...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:35 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
You can add me to the list of those that wouldn’t entertain renting or loaning my rig out. There are just too many things that could go wrong.
Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKBETTY View Post
Has anyone considered, looked into renting their Interstate , when not using, to help offset cost? There are sites like RV Share that advertise and connect you with potential renters. Of course they would have to be screened and approved by owners. I know there are risk involved such as additional insurance cost, liability, etc.
RICKBETTY - I would not rent mine to the Pope or the President. Unless I get a lifetime pass to heaven or lifetime IRS tax waiver. That's why God invented Cruise America
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:12 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
I rented an AI via Outdoorsy and the funny thing was that I knew way more about the rig from my internet research than the owner. We had a great experience and ended up buying one two months later. Part of my justification for purchase (to wife) included the idea of renting

Now after a few months of ownership? Not so sure. I’m still not ruling it out, like others here, but I know I will be need to very selective with potential renters
Schmitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:55 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Thousand Oaks , California
We've been looking into it and rented to a relative for a month as a test. It went well and we're going to use GoCampCampervans as our "agent." They handle the calendar of available dates, collect the money, provide some additional insurance and keep a portion for their trouble. Right now they're only in Oregon and California but I'd suggest you contact them anyway. https://gocampcampervans.com/vans/
Ryoungca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs down

Joining the chorus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
No way. I wouldn't even let family members use it. Far too much chance of screwing something up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
No, no, no, no, noooo.

Maggie
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Errhhh... nope... Heck, we have an apartment back home and I don't rent it nor let people borrow it... we have our clothes and personal items there so that we are able to just grab a backpack and go... Same as we do with the AI now...

As long as it is financially feasible... not renting nor letting anyone else borrow my house (mobile or fixed). If it ever comes to that I would just consider selling it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwils25 View Post
You can add me to the list of those that wouldn’t entertain renting or loaning my rig out. There are just too many things that could go wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
RICKBETTY - I would not rent mine to the Pope or the President. Unless I get a lifetime pass to heaven or lifetime IRS tax waiver. That's why God invented Cruise America
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Well, it goes without saying that I would never do this, but I do have one question:

What is the middle man's take? In every scheme in which there is a middle manager, they are typically the only ones who make money. Land-based property management companies typically demand 40%, and they get it. If your van is renting for $220/night (Gocampervans), that kind of rate would leave the owner with $132/night. Hardly seems worth it.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I’d consider it now that mine has a many miles on it and I’m no longer emotionally attached to it. But would do it through a service to help cover risks. Would also like to know what they charge.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:45 PM   #14
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Put me in the category of not wanting anyone else to use our RV but I can certainly relate to the desire to offset costs. The idea has crossed my mind a time or two.

Renting your RV to another person is probably best handled through an agent - as others have said, they know how to schedule the rental, arrange insurance, etc.

When we had a 1998 B190 Airstream we did "loan" it to a relative for 6 weeks at one point. That particular relative was considering buying the van from us so it made sense for them to get some extended experience to know if they wanted to purchase the RV. During that time we specifically avoided referring to the arrangement as a rental. Instead, the relative agreed to give us some money to help offset our expenses. That was our way of avoiding a business situation that may have required commercial insurance. Was that the best way to handle the situation? Who knows. Fortunately, we did not have any issues during that time.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:57 PM   #15
17 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Langley , British Columbia
We rent our Airstream and without doing this, we would not own one. Let me rephrase this. The company owns the Airstream and we use it whenever we want.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:39 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' International
2010 22' Interstate
Carol Stream , Illinois
Renting AI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKBETTY View Post
I love my AI and take excellent care of it, that said I would never rent it out. I can think of times, that as a careful owner, had made costly mistakes. Even if you rent to someone who tries their best and makes mistakes, maybe not realizing it, then returns if where you may not learn of their mistakes until you take it on your next trip which may be doomed by the damage.
Even simple things like running the house batteries down to zero which basically ruined them. You may not discover that until later. Or flushing something into the toilet that damages the mercerator pump. Running an inner doulie tire so low that the tire had permanent damage, trying to start the generator and forgetting to turn the LP switch on then cooking or damaging the starter etc etc etc.
Good luck on your decision. Not to sound like a downer but there may be other ways to offset the cost of your purchase.
John Millner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:34 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

lancing , Tennessee
My car insurance wanted to know if I participated in uber or anything like uber.

I would expect it to be hard to cover the insurance increase if I had an airstream I rented out.

IT would greatly help offset costs, but I would check the insurance increase first.
biere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:08 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
What is the middle man's take? In every scheme in which there is a middle manager, they are typically the only ones who make money. Land-based property management companies typically demand 40%, and they get it. If your van is renting for $220/night (Gocampervans), that kind of rate would leave the owner with $132/night. Hardly seems worth it.

I haven't actually pulled the trigger on this but when I talked with Gocampervans, their take was 25%. That seemed reasonable to me based on the proportion of the hassle they managed.

I think the primary drawback for a lot of folks is the miles that renters would add to the odometer. My unit already had about 80K when I purchased it last year so the mileage is less an issue for me.
Ryoungca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:41 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Really!!!

What you’re saying is: I shouldn’t have bought the AS, or circumstances have changed in my life. Renting your stuff — ultimately — is a major headache. Especially, something as MOBILE as YOUR Airstream!
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:51 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I would never rent ours out, nor would I even loan it to anybody. There are too many things to teach relative to the electrical and plumbing system, height, clearance (of lack there-of), etc.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote