Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Re: the question about window coverings, we use the Heat Shield brand interior covers that are custom fit for the Sprinter.
That's the same brand that I use in my truck, and it's been the best I've had by far. It also has lasted over 10 years, so it was a very good investment. Many "cheapies" that I had previously broke down over time due to UV and heat, but the HeatShield is still going strong.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cape Coral , Florida
I find it utterly amazing that people on this site will spend over 6 figures on an RV and actually sound satisfied as they say the A/C cannot do the job. I am willing to bet this rediculous noise machine is working to spec, based on everything said here. I think I will follow up on this and see if there are any options to remedy this. As a consumer I bet I have the right to expect an RV to maintain temperature up to a 90 degree summer day of 70 degrees if I want!. No where in any brochure does it say don't expect the A/C to work on certain days!
sdemino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
It'll never happen, seventy is an unrealistic number, I don't keep my house thst cool, I keep mine st 79 to 80. These are rvs, not homes. Face the facts. If I can get my trailer to 80 I'm happy, after all, I am camping. Some people develope a case of buyers remorse, because they made a mistake, and won't accept any of the responsibility. These rvs are what they are, they're all pretty much the same when it comes to cooling. Good luck
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:18 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdemino View Post
I find it utterly amazing that people on this site will spend over 6 figures on an RV and actually sound satisfied as they say the A/C cannot do the job. I am willing to bet this rediculous noise machine is working to spec, based on everything said here. I think I will follow up on this and see if there are any options to remedy this. As a consumer I bet I have the right to expect an RV to maintain temperature up to a 90 degree summer day of 70 degrees if I want!. No where in any brochure does it say don't expect the A/C to work on certain days!

Several folks have made a reasonable suggestion to get your coach checked by a dealer, in order to rule out a technical fault.

Why are you continuing to ignore this advice?

I'm genuinely curious.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:22 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
I find it utterly amazing that people on this site will spend over 6 figures on an RV and actually sound satisfied as they say the A/C cannot do the job.
It does the job it was expected to do based on experience and a hell of a lot of research prior to purchasing (about 2 years worth).

It sounds like you may have bought the wrong rig for what you want to do. You can either modify it to work how you want (several of us have suggested how), or sell it and buy something more appropriate for your needs.

Best luck.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:36 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Part of the issue may be expectation management. IB and I love to hike and camp and don't own fancy cars so when we got our van we weren't expecting a mobile house or to be pampered by a luxury car. We purchased a pimped out tent on wheels and couldn't be happier. We used to backpack into the desert for days at a time and once considered a cold drink waiting at the end of the trail to be an unimaginable luxury. IB views the Interstate as the VW bus she daydreamed about in her youth.

If you want to improve cooling performance your best bet may be to add a second A/C compressor to the engine and a separate evaporator to the rear of the van. To support long idle times you would also likely need to add a high idle kit to the vehicle. Once the vehicle is cooled down, you may find that the rooftop A/C can maintain temps a little better.

We really didn't know how we would end up using our Interstate when we purchased it used. It was 8 years old at the time but it was still quite a lot of money to us so we were initially disappointed to learn that the house battery was dead and the grey water tank connectors were all sheared off when we bought the van. Had we paid full retail price for a new Interstate I'm sure I would have experienced your current anger.

My first project was to replace the battery and install a three stage converter/charger. I was naive enough then to think that the next project was always going to be the last. But after the battery came a leaking grey water tank, then a better battery monitor to reduce our battery anxiety, the need to add rear and side view cameras to help IB make right turns and lane changes safely, and a new horn to replace the eep-eep sound from the single tone European horn. Up next was a new sway bar and koni shocks to improve cross wind handling, then a solar upgrade for more time in the woods between charges, a custom hitch basket/step to augment our freezer space with a yeti cooler, a new refrigerator (when we failed to attribute it's erratic behavior to a loose battery connection on our BIM) and lastly a lithium battery upgrade and new inverter to better handle IB's mobile workstation needs along with a new cell booster.

We're obviously a bit maniacal about DIY upgrades but we now have a vehicle that hasn't been plugged into shore power in months and is really only limited by how often we need to get more propane. But we're planning to improve the interval between propane fill ups by eventually installing a diesel heater. Lewster keeps taunting me with visions of a propane free world with a DC fridge but I don't think that's in the works.

And since we aren't yet retired (or enemy close) and have limited days off from work, we drive pretty hard on our way to our destination. The ability for IB to catch up with office emails (or me to Nap) in the back would help a lot in improving our daily mileage so when the slow boat lands from the UK, I'll remove the leaf springs and install an air suspension. And since we don't use the generator, it's going away to grant us a bit more ground clearance in our driveway and on Forestry Service roads.

The last project on the horizon is a smart start unit for our roof A/C so we can run it off our inverter and never ever plug into shore power again. Hopefully that really is the last major project and I can get back to restomodding my 65 Mustang. If not, IB and I are still having a blast enjoying our time together working on and camping in our fancy tent on wheels.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:57 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
Part of the issue may be expectation management. IB and I love to hike and camp and don't own fancy cars so when we got our van we weren't expecting a mobile house or to be pampered by a luxury car. We purchased a pimped out tent on wheels and couldn't be happier. We used to backpack into the desert for days at a time and once considered a cold drink waiting at the end of the trail to be an unimaginable luxury. IB views the Interstate as the VW bus she daydreamed about in her youth.

If you want to improve cooling performance your best bet may be to add a second A/C compressor to the engine and a separate evaporator to the rear of the van. To support long idle times you would also likely need to add a high idle kit to the vehicle. Once the vehicle is cooled down, you may find that the rooftop A/C can maintain temps a little better.

We really didn't know how we would end up using our Interstate when we purchased it used. It was 8 years old at the time but it was still quite a lot of money to us so we were initially disappointed to learn that the house battery was dead and the grey water tank connectors were all sheared off when we bought the van. Had we paid full retail price for a new Interstate I'm sure I would have experienced your current anger.

My first project was to replace the battery and install a three stage converter/charger. I was naive enough then to think that the next project was always going to be the last. But after the battery came a leaking grey water tank, then a better battery monitor to reduce our battery anxiety, the need to add rear and side view cameras to help IB make right turns and lane changes safely, and a new horn to replace the eep-eep sound from the single tone European horn. Up next was a new sway bar and koni shocks to improve cross wind handling, then a solar upgrade for more time in the woods between charges, a custom hitch basket/step to augment our freezer space with a yeti cooler, a new refrigerator (when we failed to attribute it's erratic behavior to a loose battery connection on our BIM) and lastly a lithium battery upgrade and new inverter to better handle IB's mobile workstation needs along with a new cell booster.

We're obviously a bit maniacal about DIY upgrades but we now have a vehicle that hasn't been plugged into shore power in months and is really only limited by how often we need to get more propane. But we're planning to improve the interval between propane fill ups by eventually installing a diesel heater. Lewster keeps taunting me with visions of a propane free world with a DC fridge but I don't think that's in the works.

And since we aren't yet retired (or enemy close) and have limited days off from work, we drive pretty hard on our way to our destination. The ability for IB to catch up with office emails (or me to Nap) in the back would help a lot in improving our daily mileage so when the slow boat lands from the UK, I'll remove the leaf springs and install an air suspension. And since we don't use the generator, it's going away to grant us a bit more ground clearance in our driveway and on Forestry Service roads.

The last project on the horizon is a smart start unit for our roof A/C so we can run it off our inverter and never ever plug into shore power again. Hopefully that really is the last major project and I can get back to restomodding my 65 Mustang. If not, IB and I are still having a blast enjoying our time together working on and camping in our fancy tent on wheels.

That's awesome.

Good for y'all.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:40 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:

I think you should sell your Interstate and buy something cheaper.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
That's awesome.

Good for y'all.
He only hit the highlights.

There were a million little projects interspersed in there and several more to come. E.g., we still have to hard-wire a dash cam, certain electronic security components, and the GPS, plus execute the second stage of our remote connectivity improvements, as well as finish the headlight mod, which is a major undertaking in itself. My next project might be a no-see-um screen that fits on the awning, to create an outdoor room of sorts, without hauling around a stereotypical portable mosquito cabana (which is too large for the Interstate to store anyway). The materials for that got delivered this past week.

Some day, I will make a complete, mind-blowing list of everything we've done. As I've mentioned before, the Interstate is so small that every little upgrade makes a huge difference in quality of life. For instance, several weeks back I re-wired the galley lighting to replace the OEM under-cabinet fixture with two reposition-able fixtures. MAJOR improvement - I'm so pleased. I finally have proper task lighting. I could live without it, but it makes life so much easier to have it.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:

There were a million little projects interspersed in there and several more to come.
What I really appreciate about you guys is your approach. You identify something you want to change, you research solutions, then roll up your sleeves and get 'er done. You don't come on the forums and bitch and yell (well, maybe a small bit of bitchin', but that's OK ) just for the sake of "venting". I tell my employees they're welcome to come to my office with problems, but they damn well better have an idea for a solution or they're gonna get punted right back out the door. Good on ya' both for your contributions to this community. It is very much appreciated.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I live in Arizona: no matter what the outside temperature, when the sun shines the inside of my Interstate gets pretty warm; and that's why I chose a white Interstate! You can put it down to simple physics, but if you live inside an RV made from a tin can, you can expect it to get warm>hot inside and no amount of cooling will get it like a home.
There are some small B+ RVs made by PleasureWay and Leisure that have insulated bodies, that might suit you better. But on the other hand, to use the American vernacular and with no pun intended, they don't look so "COOL"!
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cape Coral , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Several folks have made a reasonable suggestion to get your coach checked by a dealer, in order to rule out a technical fault.

Why are you continuing to ignore this advice?

I'm genuinely curious.
I will in good time but serveral people have also said that's the way it works. What are you guys paid by Airstream.? It either can bring the temperature down to the 72-75 degrees on a normal summer day or it can't. What does Airstream say?? Can it do that or not? I'm in the south, the sun shines,. I don't want to here how to modify my RV to get it to work. I bought it expecting it to work!
sdemino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:16 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
70 degree is unrealistic, sometimes we must face the facts. I cant get my truck to do a hundred mph, that's just the way it is. you have false expectations.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:30 PM   #54
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Buyer's choice

Good, recent, used AIs are few and far between. I was fortunate that my dealer had a used silver 2014.5; to me that is just about the best balance of cost and features out there. I could have been tempted by a white AI, but, in central Texas or anywhere in the south, I would not buy a black AI on a bet. That is simply common sense.

I have lived here since 1983 and every vehicle I have owned has been chosen in view of the climate.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:59 PM   #55
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
I'm with sdemino. The Interstate is advertised as a "best in class" top-of-the-line luxury touring coach made by the best names in automobiles and RVs - Mercedes and Airstream. I hear what everyone is saying about the limits of the generator, but I too was shocked at how noisy the AC unit is and how noisy the generator is and how poorly it cools. An average consumer would expect the coach to be engineered to have a sufficiently sized generator and air conditioner to cool the coach to 72 degrees on an average summer day. I was also very surprised that it had no rear air tied into the motor like a full size SUV. I mean a passenger version of the Sprinter can be spec'd with that. We bought our AI this past January for road trips and based on everything I've read on these boards I'm already very concerned that my best-in-class luxury touring coach isn't going to leave my 5-7 passengers comfortable on planned trips to Dallas at the end of the month and to Orlando in early July.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
we use the Heat Shield brand interior covers

Better than the Airstream privacy screens? Do you also use the AI screens, or does the Heat Shield replace them?
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Our rig is older, and so I'm betting our OEM screens are much more basic than what is supplied today. I carry them but usually don't use them.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:21 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:

There were a million little projects interspersed in there and several more to come. E.g., we still have to hard-wire a dash cam, certain electronic security components, and the GPS, plus execute the second stage of our remote connectivity improvements, as well as finish the headlight mod, which is a major undertaking in itself. My next project might be a no-see-um screen that fits on the awning, to create an outdoor room of sorts, without hauling around a stereotypical portable mosquito cabana (which is too large for the Interstate to store anyway). The materials for that got delivered this past week.

Some day, I will make a complete, mind-blowing list of everything we've done. As I've mentioned before, the Interstate is so small that every little upgrade makes a huge difference in quality of life. For instance, several weeks back I re-wired the galley lighting to replace the OEM under-cabinet fixture with two reposition-able fixtures. MAJOR improvement - I'm so pleased. I finally have proper task lighting. I could live without it, but it makes life so much easier to have it.

Ya'll are my heros.

It almost makes me miss traveling in our tiny 22' Sprinter van for weeks at a time.

Almost.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:23 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
I will in good time but serveral people have also said that's the way it works. What are you guys paid by Airstream.? It either can bring the temperature down to the 72-75 degrees on a normal summer day or it can't. What does Airstream say?? Can it do that or not? I'm in the south, the sun shines,. I don't want to here how to modify my RV to get it to work. I bought it expecting it to work!

Well bless your heart.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:38 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
I'm with sdemino. The Interstate is advertised as a "best in class" top-of-the-line luxury touring coach made by the best names in automobiles and RVs - Mercedes and Airstream. I hear what everyone is saying about the limits of the generator, but I too was shocked at how noisy the AC unit is and how noisy the generator is and how poorly it cools. An average consumer would expect the coach to be engineered to have a sufficiently sized generator and air conditioner to cool the coach to 72 degrees on an average summer day. I was also very surprised that it had no rear air tied into the motor like a full size SUV. I mean a passenger version of the Sprinter can be spec'd with that. We bought our AI this past January for road trips and based on everything I've read on these boards I'm already very concerned that my best-in-class luxury touring coach isn't going to leave my 5-7 passengers comfortable on planned trips to Dallas at the end of the month and to Orlando in early July.

No offense, but your "Best in Class" AI is no different than pretty much any other van based Class B in regard to the gennie/AC combo.

My SOB Class B had a Dometic AC, with a Onan LP generator. It was as noisy as a freight train when running, and the AC blew icy air directly onto to you while sleeping.

If you want a better insulated "Box", other makers of Chassis-Cab Class B+ have units with 6" of insulation and ducted air. Obviously this is at the expense of a larger size 'envelope'.

If there is any benefit to the OPs thread (and I wish him well) it's that any new prospective AI/Class B Van purchaser is better informed and can manage their expectations with respect to AC.

The other benefit is that there are a large number of happy AI owners generously sharing their tips and tricks in managing their AC. I recognize a lot of these, but there are some new ones as well. I, for one, appreciate their input.

Personally we never got too stressed about the AC; we traveled from Florida to Portland OR to London Ontario and most points in between. We enjoyed the heck out of it. Driving a 22' Sprinter is a lot of fun.