Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2017, 11:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
Importance and Cost of changing FUEL filter

i just learned from my MB Sprinter dealer concerning the importance of changing the fuel filter yearly.His quote to change was $330. Has anyone had their filter changed by dealer. is this about right. How difficult is it to change yourself..
RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think dealers are always more expensive, and that sounds especially high unless it is in conjunction with an oil & filter change, perhaps.

Maggie
Old 08-02-2017, 01:12 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I get the filter changed whenever I have Schedule A or Schedule B maintenance performed. I've never had a fuel filter change done separately, so I can't really speak to pricing.

However, I can suggest that any Freightliner dealer could do it cheaper than any Mercedes dealer could, if you must have a dealer do it. Freightliner was the original Sprinter dealer in the US, before Dodge and before Mercedes, and they still service Sprinter vans of any model year.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:13 PM   #4

1 , 1
Assuming you have a 3.0 liter v6 diesel, changing the fuel filter isn't to hard. The hardest part removing and putting back the special clips they use. I bought a tool for it. There are instructions online including Youtube videos showing the while proves.
I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same engine and have changed mine myself. The part cost me about $60 from the dealer. Should be similar from an MB dealer. I buy my oil from MB as they actually sell it cheaper than the Jeep dealer.
cr1ms0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:27 PM   #5

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1ms0n View Post
Assuming you have a 3.0 liter v6 diesel, changing the fuel filter isn't to hard. The hardest part removing and putting back the special clips they use. I bought a tool for it. There are instructions online including Youtube videos showing the while proves.
Welcome to the AirForums!

The important thing to remember about changing the fuel filter is that it lets air into the fuel line every time you do it. Make sure you bleed the fuel line every time you change the filter to get rid of the air. Common rail fuel injection doesn't like air bubbles in the fuel.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
The MB OEM filter for the T1N is $67.00. This has been on my to-do list and your thread has prompted me to get off high center. We change our own oil, and so our Interstate is not on a "service schedule" like I am with my daily driver, so I have to look up individually what tasks we should be doing and when. I'll post back some details when we do the DIY.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:39 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Welcome to the AirForums!

.Make sure you bleed the fuel line every time you change the filter to get rid of the air. Common rail fuel injection doesn't like air bubbles in the fuel.
The same caveat applies to ever running out of fuel The system must be bled after adding fuel. Pay attention to the low fuel warning.

Some years ago, I was towing my 28' Airstream on a hilly, curvy, 2-lane country road in Missouri, and feeding diesel from my auxiliary tank in the bed, The centrifugal force of a curve ran me out of fuel by sloshing all the fuel into the other side of the tank, away from the pickup. I had only to switch to my main tank to get fuel, but I spent about 20 hellish minutes getting out my tools and bleeding the system while other drivers swore at me and traffic backed up for a mile. Fortunately, I knew how to bleed the system; if I had no such knowledge. I could have been there for hours. After that, the aux tank was for freeway use only.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
They made a change in mid 2012. Old style of filter (separate water sensor or something) is about $100. New style, with integrated water sensor, is about $200. I have the new style. Total price was $303 at MB dealer. $178 filter, $25 Turbo inlet rubber seal, $96 labor. I decided to have mine done at the dealer first time because I wasn't sure which one I had (impossible to tell until the filter was removed). I watched it being done. Appeared very simple - but of course it always looks simple when done by somebody who has done it many times. I am not sure how much I would pay be a filter that I can buy on-line. I may always pay to have it done if I only save $96 in labor. Posts on the Sprinter forum say to be sure to change the turbo inlet seal. Old seal looked in good shape, but... A ruined turbo is $2000+, making the $96 in labor seem pretty cheap if I mess something up.

I did not see the mechanic do anything to bleed the air. I expected to see them open the bleed line use to drain water from the fuel, but didn't observe that.

I had my filter changed at 32,000 miles. Quality fuel is the key. I figure that a fuel filter should last well more than 20,000 miles with good fuel and with poor fuel a filter may not last 20 miles.

Oil and filter changes are the easiest of any vehicle I have done (other than the pain of paying for the oil).
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Antrim , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKBETTY View Post
i just learned from my MB Sprinter dealer concerning the importance of changing the fuel filter yearly.His quote to change was $330. Has anyone had their filter changed by dealer. is this about right. How difficult is it to change yourself..
Not a difficult job if you are a little bit mechanically inclined. 2012 and up filter can be had for under $90. You can use Wirth 13-15mm fuel injector clamps, no special toll needed. However, it needs to tightened well and with a socket and not a screwdriver.

Also it the thing sits over the middle of the engine and some electrical connectors have to be removed, don't force those. You can do some research on YouTube on how those come off.

And yes, if you purchase fuel wherever and drive a good amount of miles it's a good idea to change the full filter yearly. Also store the vehicle with a FULL tank and pour a little diesel 911 into the tank.
felixkagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKBETTY View Post

Yes - it is important that the fuel filter be changed at least yearly or every 20,000 miles. The price you quoted sounds about right for a Mercedes dealer that also sells luxury Mercedes cars.

I have mine done by local Freightliner dealer. As Protagonist said they are cheaper than most Mercedes dealers, unless they offer lower commercial truck rates. The tricky part of the job is the Water-In-Fuel (WIF) drain hose connection. The first one I had done by a Mercedes dealer caused a massive fuel leak. Had to take it back three time for them to get it right. The last time it went back to dealer on a flat-bed tow truck courtesy of Mercedes Roadside Assistance. Even on the third try they could not get that connector on right, so they just capped the line at filter and told me there was a service bulletin on removing the WIF drain line. That was total BS and I've never been back to that dealer. I have had the filter replaced with proper WIF drain line three times by other dealers and one independent shop with no issues. Now at 90,000 miles.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:59 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
i did see the factory base clamps can be a challenge to remove, but learned you can replace once removed with SS fuel injector hose clamps that are tighten with a 13 or 15mm wrench. Much easier to remove for future changes..
RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Are the clamps tightened by 13 or 15mm wrenches, or are the clamps designed for 13 or 15mm OD hoses? I think the latter. From what I recall the wrench needed is much smaller that 13 or 15mm. The original clamps can be removed (and re-used) with special pliers. However I bought new clamps that use a normal wrench. New clamps were much cheaper than the special pliers. They caution against using a normal worm-screw hose clamp.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:21 PM   #13
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
I carry a spare fuel filter (cost well over a hun) as well as spares for both of the serpentine belts and motor oil on long trips. So far have just used oil. On a prior Sprinter based rv I had a turbo hose failure so I carried spare turbo hoses and kept them for this rig but so far no issues with turbo hoses on the AI.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Quite easy change on the T1N- I got the OEM filter and have a spare I keep in the van. Plus a few other spares, just in case.

I don't see in the service manual that describes fuel filter replacement saying anything about doing a purge. The fuel does return, so any air will be removed pretty quickly.
But maybe I missed it someplace. It does mention a purge under '14- Standard Proceedure'. But I could never find it referenced (I could have missed it).

I just turn on the key for 30 seconds about three times- fired right up and thousands of miles later it never has missed a beat.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:27 PM   #15

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
I don't see in the service manual that describes fuel filter replacement saying anything about doing a purge. The fuel does return, so any air will be removed pretty quickly.
But maybe I missed it someplace. It does mention a purge under '14- Standard Proceedure'. But I could never find it referenced (I could have missed it).
The T1N Sprinters are fuel injected, but don't have the high-pressure "common rail" fuel injection system found on the newer NCV3 Sprinters. So they're not as sensitive to air in the fuel line.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
The T1N does have a common rail injection (CDI) but since it is in inline engine perhaps less prone to issue? (Pure speculation, since I've never done anything at all on the V6).
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:21 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
2008 Base Camp
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Geneva , Florida
Good evening. I have a 2016 GT and am getting ready for a 4,000 mile trip. I have 11,000 miles on my Interstate. I was just quoted $1,250 for Service A plus a fuel filter. That seems really excessive.

This quote was from a local Mercedes dealership.

Thanks for your feedback.
altlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlife View Post
Good evening. I have a 2016 GT and am getting ready for a 4,000 mile trip. I have 11,000 miles on my Interstate. I was just quoted $1,250 for Service A plus a fuel filter. That seems really excessive.

This quote was from a local Mercedes dealership.

Thanks for your feedback.
Read your maintenance manual. Mine says every 30,000 miles for fuel filter.
Also Service A isn't too much more than an oil change, so yeah, high.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:37 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
2008 Base Camp
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Geneva , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
Read your maintenance manual. Mine says every 30,000 miles for fuel filter.
Also Service A isn't too much more than an oil change, so yeah, high.
My manual states 20,000 miles. The service advisor said I should do it early because I live in Florida and the humidity and dampness causes excess water in the separator which in turn will corrode the fuel lines in the future. I am not mechanically inclined but that seems a little bogus. Not sure.
altlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:46 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Sounds bogus to me too. I have not had the water in fuel warning in 40,000 miles. I think this is mainly a function of buying good fuel. If you have not had the water in fuel warning I don't see how you would be any more at risk than I.

Regarding 20,000 vs 30,000: My OM says 10,000 oil and filter change and 20,000 fuel filter change. But the next year both increased - to 15,000 and 30,000. Not sure if MB actually changed anything but the specs.