Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 03:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Idaho Falls , Idaho
IF you want to carry a gun

I start this thread with some trepidation since it is a hot button item. This is not about whether you should carry a gun but is about an option of where to carry it if that is your choice. Since we camp in remote areas where we are on our own, we do on occasion carry a gun.

This only works if you have the ext model and if you leave your headboard wings down all the time. Since we leave our bed made all the time this works for us.

I wanted a place that was accessible but not obvious. The pictures best describe it. It is a model 870 Remington tactical 12 gauge so it has a shorter barrel.

It rests where the wings fold up. We made a cover so it would blend in with the coach.

Again I am not trying to convince anyone to carry and you will not convince me not to carry so please let’s not get a heated thread going.

The pictures are always oriented correctly when I upload but don’t end up that way. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	74F743CF-689F-4BC5-874E-65D76318C1BC.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	368025   Click image for larger version

Name:	633047EF-D2F7-49E1-A03F-2FA1B76E2A7F.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	368026  

Old 05-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
If you crop the pictures a wee bit they’ll load correctly.

Ian
Old 05-16-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
DALLAS , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passin Thru View Post
I start this thread with some trepidation since it is a hot button item. This is not about whether you should carry a gun but is about an option of where to carry it if that is your choice. Since we camp in remote areas where we are on our own, we do on occasion carry a gun.

This only works if you have the ext model and if you leave your headboard wings down all the time. Since we leave our bed made all the time this works for us.

I wanted a place that was accessible but not obvious. The pictures best describe it. It is a model 870 Remington tactical 12 gauge so it has a shorter barrel.

It rests where the wings fold up. We made a cover so it would blend in with the coach.

Again I am not trying to convince anyone to carry and you will not convince me not to carry so please let’s not get a heated thread going.

The pictures are always oriented correctly when I upload but don’t end up that way. Sorry.
I carry mine in the center console of my tow vehicle when traveling and in my night stand when parked.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Also, I’ll watch this thread with interest to see how long it stays civil or even stays up.

When I travel alone, I’m typically armed. When traveling with my family, my 4 yo daughter is pretty feral and I pity the fool who tries to mess with us.

Ian
Old 05-16-2020, 04:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Nice spot.

Beauty of freedom is that you can carry or not. Up to you.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:35 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Hi,
Best to get a concealed carry licence & check with every state on their gun laws.
Have the law on your side.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:37 PM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Mod Hat On

Let’s keep this strictly on topic.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Old 05-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
OP, are you intending to travel across state lines? With a long gun in an Airstream Interstate?

If the answer is yes, you will need to have it locked up. It's difficult to do that in an Interstate because of the lack of space for accommodating a large conventional gun case with locks on it. What we do instead is lock our rifle inside the closet. We had to modify the closet to accept it and then my husband, a hobby welder, created this secure bracket device, which is bolted to the wall and then a padlock is put through the eye of it to meet the legal requirement for a lock (I took the pic before I painted it black so that the details would be more visible).

At least, we interpret that this plus a separate locked ammunition case satisfies the interstate (small "i") transport requirement. We are not attorneys.

I also recommend that you carry gun owners' liability insurance if you are traveling like you have depicted. It's not that expensive, as protections go.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Thinking it is a shame ...a responsible gum owner need to be concerned when the rest of the country is not!!
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
Old 05-16-2020, 07:06 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Yeah...I'm gonna tell 'ya if AND where it's at.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 05-16-2020, 07:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
^ this.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
I think the best place for it would a location that is very accessible to you in the event that you need it but concealed enough so no one else can see or find it.

If you can't get to it because it is buried in the back of the trailer, it may not be very useful.

I too am concerned about camping in remote areas. We don't want to be in a situation where we would need to protect ourselves but we are driving shiny aluminum targets and will make the "ill intentioned" see a golden opportunity to mess with us.

When COVID is behind us, we will travel to Washington state and other Western states to stay at the rustic campgrounds. However, when we start heading down to camp there, we will be bringing our shiny new aluminum tube with us. Previously, we had a smaller and less expensive Camplite so we weren't as much of a target.

Up here, we don't seem to have the abundance of remote spots, mostly government run campsites so we feel pretty safe all the time.

Stay safe out there!
Old 05-16-2020, 08:23 PM   #13

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
SuEllyn and I are both retired DEA Special Agents. As such, we can carry a concealed firearm in any state. We have federal statutory authority to do so. We carry two pistols in Lucy near the beds at night. We also have one in the tow vehicle while we are on the road.

We are both highly trained and fully experienced in the use of firearms. We take these same precautions when we are at home.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-16-2020, 09:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Some states require firearms to be unloaded and locked. Sometimes even requiring ammunition to be locked separately from the gun. Additionally, some do not consider a locked glovebox to be locked.

For those occasssions, we installed two cable-secured lock boxes behind the front seats for hand guns. Still, we were not allowed to cross Hoover Dam with them in the vehicle, period.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Passin thru,

I'm so glad you started this thread. I plan to carry a pistol grip shotgun and a handgun in my little '67 Caravel, but have no idea where to keep them. I am hoping someone will post some info that I can use also. I travel solo, so I feel that I need some kind of equalizer.

Of course, my Doberman will help if needed, but figure that he would just give me a little time to get to a gun.

Vivian
Old 05-17-2020, 05:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
More specific to what I said above, here is a paste of the federal law (below; bolded).

Note the last stipulation about "locked container" for vehicles that do not have storage compartments physically separated from the cab (such as a trunk), which Interstates do not.

For handguns, a lockable glove box is NOT sufficient. It has to be a separate container.

For long guns, "locked container" typically means a carrying case that locks securely, but with a long gun, an Airstream Interstate might not have room for that. Our Interstate is not an EXT - we have zero space behind the couches, for instance. That's why we came up with a bolted, lockable bracket inside the closet.

Trailer owners - this thread is appearing in the camper van section of Air Forums. B vans have different challenges than trailers, which are larger with a greater number of storage options, and of course trailers also enjoy a separate TV.

Again, I'm not an attorney, but I do read and follow the law.

18 U.S. Code § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

(Added Pub. L. 99–360, § 1(a), July 8, 1986, 100 Stat. 766.)
Old 05-17-2020, 06:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
IF you want to carry a gun

If I had my way, every vehicle offered for sale in the US would come with a factory-installed lock box large enough to secure a firearm. That doesn’t require anyone to possess a firearm, it could be used to secure any valuables when on the road.

As a (now retired) LEO from Eastern Washington I have grown really comfortable interacting with armed citizens (they have made our town safer) and I hate it when thieves break in and steal their firearms (and other valuables).

(BTW, I know a lot of Airstreamers are from Canada and rest assured, during the few times I’ve ever visited Canada (BC, actually) I have never even attempted to carry any of my firearms into Canada.)
WBCCI #7180
Old 05-17-2020, 07:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Since the OP is asking about the Trailer, Not the tow vehicle. Your trailer is considered your house in most states. So, The laws concerning transporting a firearm in a vehicle would not apply to your trailer. Except when crossing borders.

Phantom98: I like where you have your shotty. While traveling I like to keep mine in the closet. While boondocking off grid in camp it stays next to the door. I don't make any effort to conceal it in camp. I want it handy for the wife if needed.

-Dennis
Old 05-17-2020, 07:55 AM   #19
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
For a number of years, I trailered my 26' sailboat to Yellowstone Lake for a week every fall. This was a few years back when I lived in Colorado. We lived in the boat for the week. I was told by the park rangers that my boat was considered my home and, as long as the weapon was out of sight inside, it was legal to have it in the park.
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-17-2020, 08:06 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
I have a CCP (concealed carry permit) issued in Texas. Many states have reciprocal agreements. I carry a .38 Smith & Wesson snub nose in my pocket always. I have another .38 Smith & Wesson revolver in the nightstand drawer in our AS. Been packin' since George Bush was Governor of Texas and instituted the Right to Carry laws. Left them in Idaho when crossing into Canada (day trip).