Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 08:09 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Since the OP is asking about the Trailer, Not the tow vehicle. ...
No - the OP is asking about his Airstream *van*. That's why this discussion is particularly important from the standpoint of law.

IANAL, but the fact that the OP may sleep in his *motor vehicle* does not negate the law as it applies to *motor vehicles*. That's been my whole point, for anyone who noted my last 3 posts.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:19 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Interblog-

I believe the federal law you quote is not meant to be a restriction but is intended to protect you from state laws that do not let you transport guns at all. But, like you, I am not an attorney.

Although I am bending my own request to just keep this thread on the topic of storage, just for clarification, both my wife and I have the Idaho Enhanced Concealed Weapons permit which is recognized to some extent in 40+ states. We went through a day long class to get it. This allows us more latitude in our gun storage and carry. Plus we are very experienced gun owners.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
No - the OP is asking about his Airstream *van*. That's why this discussion is particularly important from the standpoint of law.

IANAL, but the fact that the OP may sleep in his *motor vehicle* does not negate the law as it applies to *motor vehicles*. That's been my whole point, for anyone who noted my last 3 posts.
My bad. I did it again ASSumed it was a trailer. Sorry.

-Dennis
Old 05-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Cedar Hill , Texas
An attack will happen in an instant. The element of surprise is the advantage of the bad guy (or gal, to be politically correct). A weapon that takes time to retrieve may as well be left at home. My weapon is on me all the time I am awake and believe me, it is extremely near while I sleep. Make it accessible! And pray to God that you never need it.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:30 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tacoma , Washington
I live in WA state and have a CPL so I can carry a concealed pistol. I always camp armed for the very reason many posters have stated. I also believe in having the ability to secure my weapon if needed especially when my son was younger. I currently have a VAULTEK slider vault. I purchased an extra bracket and mounted it in my FC25FB closet. I can then move it between my home bedroom and AS without having to buy another lock box. It can also satisfy most states transport laws if needed.

Robert
Old 05-17-2020, 10:44 AM   #26
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Carrying a gun is cool right up until you point it at someone or shoot them. Just have the resources to cover a trial and lawyers lawsuits and possible jail time. I can say that if I’m camping and someone fired a gun at someone from a trailer you better know you will be responsible for the damages caused from your bullets as they travel through and from coach to coach and trailer to trailer in the vicinity. I can guarantee if a bullet enters my trailer from another I will destroy everything associated with whoever fired the bullet! Carry at your own peril!
Old 05-17-2020, 10:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
OP, are you intending to travel across state lines? With a long gun in an Airstream Interstate?

If the answer is yes, you will need to have it locked up. It's difficult to do that in an Interstate because of the lack of space for accommodating a large conventional gun case with locks on it. What we do instead is lock our rifle inside the closet. We had to modify the closet to accept it and then my husband, a hobby welder, created this secure bracket device, which is bolted to the wall and then a padlock is put through the eye of it to meet the legal requirement for a lock (I took the pic before I painted it black so that the details would be more visible).

At least, we interpret that this plus a separate locked ammunition case satisfies the interstate (small "i") transport requirement. We are not attorneys.

I also recommend that you carry gun owners' liability insurance if you are traveling like you have depicted. It's not that expensive, as protections go.

Must be storing/retrieving it often ... seeing it has a “greaseable” hinge.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:03 AM   #28
Long time owner

2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Forrest City , Arkansas
I have a 1911 45 cal. that stays in the inside area next to the drivers seat in the TV and a Henry 410 with slugs in the trailer that is attached to the wooden arm area of the couch by the door. I am glad to say that I have never had to use either of these while traveling.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:57 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
I have a Benelli Nova tactical 12 GA loaded with #4 buckshot. Gives you more pellets in the pattern than 00 buck with minimal degradation in performance. When at a RV park or boondocking i t lives in the closet next to my side of the bed. When trailering, I put it in its soft case and place it on the bed or floor.
This works well for me.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:51 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
I live in California and have a CCW. I also have a non-resident CCW in Utah and Arizona which allows for carry in 37 states. We have a trailer so when traveling through the other 12, I put my handgun inside the trailer.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:04 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Our tow vehicle has a real gun safe mounted in place of a storage pocket in the rear of the truck bed. Safe is very heavy, tamper resistant, inconspicuous and lockable. No access from inside the vehicle. What I may or may not carry in it is, of course, my business...[emoji3]
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:02 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Must be storing/retrieving it often ... seeing it has a “greaseable” hinge.
The context, as was abundantly and clearly stated, is storage while traveling across state lines.

How one stores when one is remaining INSIDE a particular state is a different conversation.

My comments were in response to the OP's solution which appeared to address only half of that equation.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:09 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
Passin Thru - you are correct. This came up at a concealed carry class I attended. For instance, Colorado allows unlocked long guns in the car as long as they don't have a round in the chamber (rounds in the magazine are OK). Kansas allows loaded long guns in the car. If I go from Colorado to Kansas, I'm crossing the state line and don't have to have the gun locked up. The only thing that changes is when I cross the state line, I can put a round in the chamber (just need to remember to take it out when I go back to Colorado!).

If places like California, NY, or Illinois tried to set up laws prohibiting bringing guns into the state, the law InterBlog is citing defends your right to transport a gun into and through the state. As it clearly says, as long as the gun is unloaded and the gun and ammunition are separate and locked up, you "shall be entitled to" (thus, the protective nature of the law is evident) transport that gun.

Whether you "have to" unload/lock things up depends on the state line you are crossing. Visiting Kansas? Not a problem. Visiting Illinois? Lock up everything! Using InterBlog's approach relieves you of the hassle of having to know - it's a safe, "one-size fits all" approach.

Passin Thru - thank you for diverting off topic for a moment, and I'm sorry for exacerbating that problem.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:24 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And my late husband, a licensed firearm owner with a CCP, carried a loaded, holstered handgun in an upper cabinet of our Interstate as we for 6 1/2 years traveled 47 of the lower 48 states.

He did some research on this, and if I recall correctly adopted a “don’t ask, don’t tell” approach.

We gave no reason to be stopped and searched, and he figured that law enforcement had better things to do than random stops of RV’s to see if someone was carrying an improperly stored firearm.

Maggie
Old 05-18-2020, 06:38 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
I am a retired Federal Special Agent and always carry. I believe carrying is a responsibility that should be undertaken only by those who truly understand the word "responsible." That being said, what ever you do, don't advertise it! I see bumper stickers that make me cringe advertising the owner has a weapon.
Inside the AS, a pump shotgun is a great deterrent. Everybody knows the sound of a 12 gauge chambering a round.
Outside: the biggest caliber you are willing to carry.
Be safe and be safe for others.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:47 PM   #36

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Thread closed for not staying on topic.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Closed Thread