Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2016, 10:01 AM   #1

Southlake , robkrohn
If I buy this new 2016 Interstate, might the house batteries already be degraded.

We are looking to buy a new Interstate shortly (was considering the Roadtrek, but don't find fit and finish to be acceptable). When we last looked at the RV the sales guy said the batteries were depleted so he could not demo much.

Are these batteries already degraded by letting them get depleted below 25% of charge?

We are very concerned we will not be able to dry dock overnight. For the most part, I think we only really need the fridge/freezer powered at night. I understand that 12 hours of fridge use would draw about 50 amp hours out of a healthy 80 amp hour capability. A degraded battery may not make it.

The SB-164 I read about would appear to eat up any reserve power.

Anyone have an opinion?
RobK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #2

Southlake , robkrohn
If I buy this new 2016 Interstate, might the house batteries already be degraded.

Yes, maybe we need to make new batteries a condition of sale.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:13 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Yes. Some dealers really don't understand problem with Lifeline batteries. If they drop below 12.1 volts damage starts to occur. I would require new batteries and drive it off the lot the same day.
Bobsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Concur. Should be a condition of any sale. We bought used but our battery was bad when we purchased it. Luckily our seller reimbursed us for it. .
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:45 PM   #5
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
+1 on new batteries. Shouldn't even be installed until PDI. Dealers don't plug the unit in and solar won't maintain it. Replaced mine in the 2014 about 6 months after I bought it when they discharged in 6 hrs.

Mike
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
The last thing when negotiated I compelled the dealer to give me two new AGM batteries.
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:53 AM   #7

Southlake , robkrohn
I talked to the dealer yesterday. He said that they would run a battery test and if the batteries were good they would not change them. He then said that deep discharging them was good...

Can a battery's condition really be evaluated this way?
Old 03-16-2016, 08:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Seems the dealers don't understand the importance of maintaining the batteries or just don't care. Maybe they figure that Lifeline is good for one freebie and after that they'll just pass the responsibility on to the consumer.

This is exactly why I won't let my van sit at my dealer waiting on repairs. Only took it in twice in 2 years (knock on wood), and both times had them do an evaluation, picked up the van, and took it back when they had parts and were ready to complete the work.

I am also on my original batteries, however, my van was 1st off the line for the 2015 model year (ordered) It was shipped to my dealer and PDI was completed and delivered within a couple days. My 100w solar kept up no problem but I have the combo fridge/freezer so can't comment on the ability of the 2016s to maintain their batteries.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:34 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Ventura , California
Make sure you check the warranty stamp on the top of the battery to see how fresh it really is. I would think they would have a separate starting battery for the motor and a deep cycle battery for the house lights with a battery isolator to charge both, but only draw from one when parked. But what do I know, I'm just a trailer towing jockey! I've had great luck with deep cycle batteries, wet cell as well as AGM. I have a good quality digital charger/maintainer and have drawn them down to almost nothing and they spring right back and hold.
pablocruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobK View Post
I talked to the dealer yesterday. He said that they would run a battery test and if the batteries were good they would not change them. He then said that deep discharging them was good...

Can a battery's condition really be evaluated this way?

No discharge should be lower than a 50% State of Charge (SOC). If the dealer lets them go flat, like to less than 12.2V, it will damage the batteries.

From the Lifeline Technical Manual FAQ:
"What depth of discharge should be used when sizing a battery?
To get the best cycle life, the average depth of discharge should be as low as possible. Concorde recommends the average depth of discharge to be no greater than 50% of the battery’s 20 hour rating."

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Rob, your dealer who said deep discharge is good for deep cycle batteries - is an idiot, you can tell it to him straight to the face.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
OOOOOOOOOHHH!
You guys are making me nervous.
My new 2016 'Cloud' is in storage at CAnAm for the winter, and anytime that I query about whether or not my batteries are being maintained is met with: Silence!
No one returns my e-mails.
Hmmm!
Am I gonna be stuck with two dead 'boat anchors'?
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Hopefully they were new and fully charged, MelGoddard, and assuming you've disconnected cables from your batteries, or turned the battery switch OFF before storing. Otherwise you, of course, can recharge your batteries with 15AMP charger, but their life will be dramatically shortened.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
If I buy this new 2016 Interstate, might the house batteries already be degra...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablocruise View Post
Make sure you check the warranty stamp on the top of the battery to see how fresh it really is. I would think they would have a separate starting battery for the motor and a deep cycle battery for the house lights with a battery isolator to charge both, but only draw from one when parked. But what do I know, I'm just a trailer towing jockey! I've had great luck with deep cycle batteries, wet cell as well as AGM. I have a good quality digital charger/maintainer and have drawn them down to almost nothing and they spring right back and hold.

Lifelines use a date sticker. It's a white round decal found on the side (not the top) of each battery. There will be 2 letters in the circle; first indicates the month of manufacture (A=1, B=2......) and the second letter is the year ( same as above).

This will tell you the exact month/year of production.

PS: double the sentiment that your dealer is a know-nothing idiot when it comes to battery health!!!!!!!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote