Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2019, 07:32 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Identifying components

2018 GT

I was running wires under the galley counter and found a small black box with 8 white wires connecting it tucked into the insulation in the wall. Nothing printed on the box. I haven't identified it from the schematics. Anyone know what it may be?

Also, there are two small PC boards behind the wood panel for the display behind the driver's head. Lots of connecting wires. I haven't tried to trace them yet. Anyone know what they are?

I hate mysteries.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Just guessing.. Maybe the black box is the relays for the black and gray tank valves? Mine has separate relays but your may have them combined.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:32 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Just found a "junction box" listed in the parts list. Since all of the wires going into that box are white, I'm guessing what I found is a junction box bringing together all the grounds on that side of the coach. Grounds are not shown in the schematics.

Still wondering about the two little PC boards behind the touch screen.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Just found a "junction box" listed in the parts list. Since all of the wires going into that box are white, I'm guessing what I found is a junction box bringing together all the grounds on that side of the coach. Grounds are not shown in the schematics.

Still wondering about the two little PC boards behind the touch screen.
JOHN - a few things:
1. Grounds are shown in the schematics.

2. On House Battery side, prior to the DC going to the Circuit Breakers (CB1-6), AS follows convention and uses Black to designate Ground. I think they have to, in order to seamlessly tie-in with the chassis electrical color coding standards. But after DC goes past the Circuit Breakers and beyond into the individual fuses, AS uses WHITE to designate Ground (shown as AS Ckt# 150 in schemas). Black or Black+anycolor is Hot for a specific circuit. Given your stated location is way past the distribution box, I almost sure the junction you saw is a Ground junction. PS: I do hate how AS does this color switching. Not sure if this is RVIA convention or just random manufacturer choice. Regardless, it confuses the heck out of me.

3. The 2 little pc boards? Only guessing here - Maybe next gen SeeLevel receivers from the sending units to replace the big clunky 1-piece module with LED display that they would hide right inside the wall behind the FireFly touchscreen. Coz they really don't need/use the huge LED display, just the receiver circuitries
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180517_114007.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	347900  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
New tech,,,so much simpler!