Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Sorry to veer a bit into thready hijack territory.....but....I just thought of something and want to confirm.

Are you good people saying that these Yetti type coolers can leave your house with frozen contents, and dry ice, and travel over several days, say in the back of a pickup bed in the heat of summer, and then arrive at a destination with the contents still frozen, and the dry ice somewhat still usable? And that they would be insulated enough to then maintain the contents in a between frozen and refrigerated state of food safety over several more days with the addition of standard water ice? Is that the deal???? If so, please tell me more.

Thanks
Julie
Who wants to buy a 16 Bambi but is concerned about the small storage space in it.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Are you good people saying that these Yetti type coolers can leave your house with frozen contents, and dry ice, and travel over several days, say in the back of a pickup bed in the heat of summer, and then arrive at a destination with the contents still frozen, and the dry ice somewhat still usable? And that they would be insulated enough to then maintain the contents in a between frozen and refrigerated state of food safety over several more days with the addition of standard water ice? Is that the deal???? If so, please tell me more.
The freezing point of carbon dioxide (dry ice) is -108F, a full 140 degrees colder than water ice. As long as you keep the cooler tightly shut, it's entirely possible for the food inside to stay frozen for a week or more, even in mid-summer in Texas.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The freezing point of carbon dioxide (dry ice) is -108F, a full 140 degrees colder than water ice. As long as you keep the cooler tightly shut, it's entirely possible for the food inside to stay frozen for a week or more, even in mid-summer in Texas.
My husband thanks you as you may have saved us literally thousands of dollars.

Piggy Bank
Old 11-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Sorry to veer a bit into thready hijack territory.....but....I just thought of something and want to confirm.

Thanks
Julie
Who wants to buy a 16 Bambi but is concerned about the small storage space in it.
Short answer: Yup.

Longer answer: Yeti itself is very careful about not warranting any performance for which they might be liable. So they make all kinds of statements about how different environmental conditions will affect performance, but you SHOULD get long-duration frozen conditions if you manage their coolers properly (or words to that effect).

A few months ago, to constrain the reality of what actually happens, I started reading sportsman forums, where guys were taking these coolers out to their electricity-less hunting shacks and whatnot. They were working hard to constrain the actual performance because they need to maintain ice for their catches (fish and game). There was a consensus that, under most conditions, if you pre-cool (very important) the Yeti, pack it full, and minimize your use (opening) of it, you should have ice remaining up to a week after you first packed it.

Let me give you a little backstory for perspective. I initially bought my Yeti NOT for normal travel but rather for a hurricane evacuation scenario. We are in a coastal county (Galveston) so evacuations are mandatory. Having participated in the largest evacuation in American history (Rita) and having lived through the third costliest natural disaster in American history (Ike), I know from experience what might be required in the future. It is entirely possible that the day will come where I will need to feed a dozen people (I'm skipping the underlying long story) for an extended period of a week or more with no electricity and no operable public infrastructure. Therefore, I figured that, if I could disgorge the contents of my carefully-curated freezer into a Yeti prior to evacuation and then have that Yeti perform as well as anecdotally reported, then in an emergency we would be in soooo much better shape than we would otherwise be.

So that's why I initially coughed up the four hundred bucks for the thing (Yeti 50 - they come in different sizes, different prices - Yeti 50 was closest to square, minimum surface area per volume, so I speculated that it would stay coldest). What I proceeded to do this summer, which was to transport food three thousand miles from home to a remote cottage in far northeastern Canada, was an experimental afterthought of sorts. We figured, "Well, we have the Yeti anyway, we don't know if this will work, but let's give it a try."

And it worked superbly. We set our behemoth freezer to its lowest achievable temperature (-16 degrees F), and put several bags of ice in the freezer so that they would lower to this temperature, same as the food. We packed the empty Yeti full of ice to pre-cool it. On the morning of departure, we dumped out the pre-cooling ice and quickly stuffed the Yeti with sixteen individual 4-cup Pyrex dishes containing a variety of meals, and packed in the -16 degrees F ice as tightly as possible around it. Because the Yeti has a good drain plug, you can check your ice status without having to lift the lid which lets warm air in. We left Houston Texas and we were in Roanoke Virginia before we saw any melt water whatsoever. And there was still plenty of ice in the cooler and the food was still frozen when we retrieved our minivan after it sat unattended and unreplenished for three more days in a Manhattan hotel parking garage.

Sometimes, low tech is the best way to go. This is why I am now leaning in the direction of Yeti use on long RV trips, unless someone comes up with better ideas. We did everything this summer with water ice. We have not yet experimented with dry ice, but theoretically, careful use of dry ice should result in even better long-term performance.

You should remember that Yetis are high-theft targets. People know how valuable and expensive they are. In our subtropical area with its emphasis on staying cool, they also appear to be becoming status symbols of sorts, which further intensifies their theft potential. If we do decide to hook a shallow platform to the rear hitch of our Airstream and begin carrying the Yeti on it, I will be devising the mother of all security systems for it, and I'll post about that later.

Alison and Lawrence
League City TX
THE INTERSTATE BLOG
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:11 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Interblog, thanks so much for the detailed info.

We want to do a lot of national park camping, and as you know if you have ever been to them, the available food is very limited.

But the other factor is the bear security thing. I liked a lot the factor that the Yeti was rated as an approved food container for bear country when locked.

Agree with you that leaving a nice looking $400 toy laying around is not a good idea, and security will be important. As there are only the 2 of us, I believe I could store it in the backseat of the Tundra/locked up/in the shade, and have the excess food transport and storage capacity needed for a 7-10 day trip.

Thanks again for sharing.

Piggy Bank
Old 11-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #26
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I'd be interested in hearing all ideas. I am constantly seeing new things on this forum that I hadn't thought of.

I might add that my husband and I grow a lot of our own food and this is part of our motivation. Seasonal harvests either have to be canned or frozen. Freezing is a lot less work, especially when the stuff can be fashioned into meals instead of frozen as raw stock that needs to be cooked later.
1) do at least some of your freezing in bags rather than pyrex to reduce weight bulk fragility and the hassle and expense of collecting the empties and bringing them home. You can box the bags to make them stack in your upright, either by filling a shoebox (or similar) with multiple bags, or by putting the filled but unfrozen bags in a suitable size take-out box:

1/2 Pint White Chinese Take-out Boxes S-8564W - Uline

2) Can some of your produce, particularly fruit. We've had good results canning peaches, apple sauce, jams, and jellies. Some vegetables can OK, particularly tomatoes, and there are usda approved recipes for sauces and salsas, and other condiments like ketchup and corn relish if you make those. Pickles and sauerkraut of course can well. Cans work better than jars for travel but equipment and supplies for home canning with cans have become difficult to find.

3) Many people consider local food an inseparable part of the travel experience. Find and patronize organic producers and retailers along your route of travel.

4) Consider that some items dry as well as or better than they freeze, like apple slices

5) For long journeys without resupply opportunities, basing the menu for the later stage of the trip on foods that dry well works best. Ask any long-distance hiker or the people who live aboard their boats. This would include flour, rice, legumes, and cereal grains.

Combine some of those strategies and you could end up needing much less weight and space for your frozen food, which will reduce the size and weight of the cooler and also the amount of dry ice you would need if you go that route.

You can use frozen brine packs as an inexpensive alternative to dry ice.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:05 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
1) do at least some of your freezing in bags rather than pyrex to reduce weight bulk fragility and the hassle and expense of collecting the empties and bringing them home. You can box the bags to make them stack in your upright, either by filling a shoebox (or similar) with multiple bags, or by putting the filled but unfrozen bags in a suitable size take-out box:

1/2 Pint White Chinese Take-out Boxes S-8564W - Uline

2) Can some of your produce, particularly fruit. We've had good results canning peaches, apple sauce, jams, and jellies. Some vegetables can OK, particularly tomatoes, and there are usda approved recipes for sauces and salsas, and other condiments like ketchup and corn relish if you make those. Pickles and sauerkraut of course can well. Cans work better than jars for travel but equipment and supplies for home canning with cans have become difficult to find.

3) Many people consider local food an inseparable part of the travel experience. Find and patronize organic producers and retailers along your route of travel.

4) Consider that some items dry as well as or better than they freeze, like apple slices

5) For long journeys without resupply opportunities, basing the menu for the later stage of the trip on foods that dry well works best. Ask any long-distance hiker or the people who live aboard their boats. This would include flour, rice, legumes, and cereal grains.

Combine some of those strategies and you could end up needing much less weight and space for your frozen food, which will reduce the size and weight of the cooler and also the amount of dry ice you would need if you go that route.

You can use frozen brine packs as an inexpensive alternative to dry ice.
Good suggestions. I liked Maggie's suggestion of freezing the meals in the Pyrex but then bagging them once frozen. That way they retain their shape and stack-ability, at least until they thaw.

The local food idea is great - where it exists. Have you ever been to London? The food is unspeakably awful over much of it. The same is largely true of rural Canada. I don't know how the British Commonwealth prospered for as long as it did with the crap that they eat. It's slowly improving but still has a ways to go.

Most of our menus combine a frozen component with a cooked component (the easiest example is frozen spaghetti sauce with fresh-cooked pasta). So we are leveraging the dried goods idea to an extent.

I have not yet gotten into canning. My husband and I are still employed and will be for some years to come, plus we still have a child at home, so my food prep time is pretty much maxed out with the freezing regime.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:32 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My thought about freezing in glass, then removing and transferring to vacuum sealed bags for travel, included lining the glass pan with something, for ease of removal. The question is......what to line with?

Waxed paper will disintegrate some in freezing and any defrosting, perhaps leaving bits in your food to be discovered later,

Parchment paper? Press n Seal? Both of these hold up well in the freezer.

Freezing directly in glass and then removing to a bag would work, but would require a small bit of defrosting to get it to release.

May take some practice to get it right for you.

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Ideas for larger-scale meal transport in an Interstate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
My thought about freezing in glass, then removing and transferring to vacuum sealed bags for travel, included lining the glass pan with something, for ease of removal. The question is......what to line with?

Waxed paper will disintegrate some in freezing and any defrosting, perhaps leaving bits in your food to be discovered later,

Parchment paper? Press n Seal? Both of these hold up well in the freezer.

Freezing directly in glass and then removing to a bag would work, but would require a small bit of defrosting to get it to release.

May take some practice to get it right for you.

Maggie

I have had success with freezing in 8 x 8 inch Pyrex bake pans with lining the glass pan with lightweight clean dish cloth prior to lining with Glad/Saran wrap. Pour or assemble "cooled" food into Pyrex lined dish. Freeze 24 hrs. and then using the towel, lift the frozen food and now ready for sealing in vacuum bag or slip into gallon size ziplock freezer bag.

Note to Airstresmers: Measure your Dometic freezer for optimal storage capacity.
Alternatively, if you have a pan or glass casserole dish which is perfect storage size for your freezer, just put cooled food into ziploc freezer bag and arrange flat in container remove air and seal. Place in freezer and then remove when frozen and repeat with whatever you plan to take along frozen.

Containers add weight and use more space, however consider "perfect portions" to avoid leftovers. Storing leftovers in ziploc bags can be messy!
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #30
Tom and Phyllis

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
Receiver torque is a term I have not seen in this thread. Perhaps this can be valuable reading for some. My first discovery of how increasing the distance from rear axle with different length drawbars reduces hitch rating. So take a look. The "effective" weight of the platform that has been mentioned by some can be calculated by determining where center of mass is in relation to distance from receiver. An easy way to demonstrate this is to insert a four foot long 2 x 2 square tube into the receiver and place a 100 lb weight at various points along the 2 x 2 while observing the amount of drop. If you are a student of fulcrum points in leverage science it all makes sense.

Effect of a hitch extension on the maximum allowable tongue weight for standard receivers:
Note: Does not apply to Torklift Superhitch or Reese Titan. Offered for info only. Always refer to manufacturers recommendations and specifications.
LD Valley w/ 800 lb trunion bars
Honda eu3000is & 2200 generator
Lucky Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 04:33 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
[QUOTE=
The idea of removing from Pyrex prior to travel is attractive because it means that the resulting void space in the cooler could be used for other things on the return trip.[/QUOTE]

I would try to work it like this: put a freezer bag into the empty Pyrex, pour in the contents, close the bag and freeze. I would think it would be easier to get the food out of the Pyrex and perhaps make a better vacuum seal. Also, you wouldn't have to partially thaw the food to get it out of the Pyrex.

Just a thought...
Outdoors4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 04:50 PM   #32
Site Team

, Minnesota
If you plan to go the dry ice route, be sure you have good ventilation. It can be hazardous in enclosed spaces.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:04 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
If you plan to go the dry ice route, be sure you have good ventilation. It can be hazardous in enclosed spaces.
That's why I was so interested in a hitch carrier system around the time that I initiated this thread. To me, it kills two problem birds with one stone - it solves my space problem and it also eliminates any concerns about oxygen displacement in certain conditions.

There's a pic of a black EXT on Instagram in which long-term travel supplies (or big-group supplies) are piled up to the ceiling in the rear. And holding up that massive stack - a Yeti cooler just a little larger than mine. When I saw that, I had momentary EXT lust - oh, it would be soooo easy if I could just open the rear doors and place my Yeti there!

But then I remembered... I'm not prepared to sleep next to chunks of sublimating dry ice - that prospect just creeps me out. Mine is going outside on the hitch where ventilation is a non-issue.

Haven't gotten that hitch system yet, but it's moving up the priority list. Since the time of this initial thread, we've added a new fridge, a new propane tank, a butt-kicker of a solar system, a back-up and side camera system, and a bunch of other stuff. Hitch carrier is now closer to execution.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:27 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors4me View Post
I would try to work it like this: put a freezer bag into the empty Pyrex, pour in the contents, close the bag and freeze. I would think it would be easier to get the food out of the Pyrex and perhaps make a better vacuum seal. Also, you wouldn't have to partially thaw the food to get it out of the Pyrex.

Just a thought...
I think that if you lined a baking dish with foil or parchment paper, the contents would come out easily once frozen.

Then put in a plastic bag or otherwise wrap for transport, return to the baking dish when ready to cook, and bake with the liner still in place. Easy clean-up.

My experience with freezing any food that is wet in plastic bags, is that they tend to develop holes or cracks, then leak as food thaws.

Bags made for such purposes, like seal-a-meal, don't do that.

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:57 AM   #35
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Haven't gotten that hitch system yet, but it's moving up the priority list. Since the time of this initial thread, we've added a new fridge, a new propane tank, a butt-kicker of a solar system, a back-up and side camera system, and a bunch of other stuff. Hitch carrier is now closer to execution.
Does your 2006 have an on-board generator? And if so, how often do you use it? If the answers are "Yes," and "Never" consider removing it. The weight you save can be used to relocate your single house battery from under the passenger seat, and add one or two or three more in parallel, by placing a battery tray where the generator used to be. That would give you admirable amp-hours to go along with your admirable solar panel wattage.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:31 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Does your 2006 have an on-board generator? And if so, how often do you use it? If the answers are "Yes," and "Never" consider removing it. The weight you save can be used to relocate your single house battery from under the passenger seat, and add one or two or three more in parallel, by placing a battery tray where the generator used to be. That would give you admirable amp-hours to go along with your admirable solar panel wattage.
Yes.

Rarely.

We very well might.

It's a step-wise process and it's also a temporal process: make a change, see how it works out, add another change, see how that works. Plus in 6 more months my child goes off to university, so my needs/wants may evolve significantly following that. Right now I hobble around making short trips because I am needed at home. A year from now I will still be working, but I might be living a different life.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:55 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Cross-posting... my apologies to anyone who may be reading this entry twice, but this is my original thread on the issue of how to safely and securely carry a Yeti cooler packed with dry ice, and so I wanted to finally close the loop on this topic.

We are almost finished with our custom solution which is shown below (we still have to put a non-slip coating on that big step and edge it in DOT C2 reflective tape). I could not be happier. My husband designed and executed this fabrication and the details are given in the blog post.

Smiling dog mirrors her owner's mood. We finally got 'er done.

CUSTOM HITCH CARRIER FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160703_HITCH_FAB.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	265923  
Old 07-04-2016, 08:49 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Electric cooler

We have had an electric cooler with us for many years. It is great for all the extras you need, you do not have to worry about it as everything stays cool. It will also freeze if I need to keep everything frozen. This particular on plugs into a cigarette lighter type outlet. There are other options available.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:55 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
IB it looks fantastic and a good write up.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:29 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Sometimes I read things that make me say to myself, "Yup - that right there." That right there is the reason why I/we went to such obsessive trouble to get a project done. Such was the case last night when I read a post by well-known former full-time Airstreamers Bold and Adventurous, a post called We Bought A House.

It was written with refreshing candor by the husband, who admitted to having gained 45 pounds of excess weight during their 18 months on the road (!).

That right there is the reason why we built a customer hitch carrier - because that would be me, too, if I didn't take steps to avert such an outcome. I'm an organic gardener and a cooking enthusiast and I just couldn't produce a proper diet in the small space of an Interstate over a long or even an intermediate term - I admit this to myself, no denial. Perhaps if I were a woman of total leisure with no other responsibilities in life, such that I had the time to fiddle-fart around for much of my days with shopping (assuming I'm in an area where shopping is even possible, which is not true 80% of the time) and meal preparation tasks, I could do it in a small space. But not when I'm employed and my husband is employed and we are always pressed for time, yada yada. If someone were to add child-rearing into that mix (as Bold does), I have a hard time envisioning the healthy diet thing working out well. The efficient meal management infrastructure just isn't present in a very small space.

So now we have a hitch carrier and a dry ice cooler and I will continue to spend many days in advance of major trips preparing many pounds of frozen food that I can take with, preparing it all in my stick house, in response to this challenge. It's the workaround that works for us, and it's even more important now that I'm making plans to strike out for many weeks at a stretch.