Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #21
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Why do we have the water heater we have now? It was a new offering replacing the tank water heater for 2018.

I am trying to understand the logic behind that decision from Airstream... a Truma Combi eco plus would have been a better choice, right?

I mean, if full hook-up is available, why do we have to rely on propane for space and water heating? Use electricity when hooked up and propane when disconnected from electrical power source... and instead of having two appliances we would have had just one for both tasks...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
A couple items to the “wishful” list...An emergency way to manually dump the waste tanks and a reset button next to the macerator pump switch, for when it binds from lack of use or debris and blow a fuse, saving one from having to crawl underneath the rear bed to access the fuse panel.
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
We discuss a tremendous amount here on these forums, which they closely monitor, so they are also well aware of issues experienced and how their Class B’s stack up in comparison to others.

Just sayin’....feedback is provided here, every minute of every day.

Maggie
Hopefully this is true.

Something to keep in mind is the person who shows up here occasionally representing Airstream Customer Service isn't an Airstream employee (they're a contractor paid to monitor this and other social media sites), so don't assume because they post here now and again that any of this is reaching the folks at JC.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #24

Orlando , Florida
I just keep sending them emails via their website... they might even have a filter by now that routes anything coming from me to the trash bin, who knows... but I feel good sending the suggestions .

I sent them a message on the Truma Combi eco plus...

Another message on the SHOWERMI$ER (this is something that is easy for them to incorporate at build time...) I also sent a message to the company that makes them to see if they have experience of an Airstream Interstate owner installing one... I want their in-wall unit... clean install and much better looking than the one that has the exposed tubing.
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #25
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Not Exactly true. AS does monitor the forum. The automated reply you may see directed at brand new buyers is outsourced but I know of at least 3 Airstream employees in the service department are actively reading and watching the forum.

All those modifications and upgrades to the current AI would certainly push the price up significantly. And as Maggie stated not everyone wants the same things so they build these to please as many AI buyers as possible given a certain price point.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, Airstream monitors these forums.

The Airstream, Inc. guy, who responds here to complaints, is relatively new.

Maggie
Old 05-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #27

Orlando , Florida
Got a reply from the folks at Aqua View... it can be installed in our Interstate and the model to use is Showermi$er SKC002 (Chrome). Asking them if I can buy it directly or if there is a distributor that I should use...

Photo is not of an AI but just to show what it would look like installed...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Showermiser Galeria Install.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	311229  
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
"It was like sleeping on a lump for me.I had them cut down an inch or so ? New dense foam padding on top made a big difference.
It would be great to have one or two details here or maybe a pic. I had assumed that the pieces were there to protect the scissor mechanism or protect someone sitting in the chair from being pinched.

Did you modify it yourself use an upholstery shop?

When you mention a new dense foam padding, is that on the side piece or over the whole bed?

I would love to have a solution, I lent the unit and those side pieces were their number one complaint.
Ryoungca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:34 PM   #29

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoungca View Post
It would be great to have one or two details here or maybe a pic. I had assumed that the pieces were there to protect the scissor mechanism or protect someone sitting in the chair from being pinched.

Did you modify it yourself use an upholstery shop?

When you mention a new dense foam padding, is that on the side piece or over the whole bed?

I would love to have a solution, I lent the unit and those side pieces were their number one complaint.
I will document the mod with photos... give a few days...
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I will document the mod with photos... give a few days...
Maybe on the Interstate Mods thread.

Maggie
Old 05-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #31
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Smile

Modifying the jump-seat ends ...

I took off the UltraLeather cover. Seemed like 10,000 staples (I think Airstream must pay by the staple.

There was some thin foam wrapped around the 1/2" wood. More staples to pull and I peeled that back. I used my bandsaw to cut off about 1 1/2" of wood. No need to be super accurate with the cut. I cut a piece of scrap foam to go on top of the wood to bring it to the original shape and re-wrapped the original foam. I stapled the cover back on, but not the large number of staples that were there originally.

The appearance was the same, but the feel was a lot better.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:41 PM   #32

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Maybe on the Interstate Mods thread.

Maggie
Oops

Already updated in my thread...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post2102567
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-17-2018, 09:58 PM   #33
Contributing Member

Quote:
Also, it is their implementation of the lid on a hinge and magnets to keep it close, that I am copying to modify the side sill and raise the LP behind it... that is exactly what Airstream should copy as well for the LP control panel...
When I am at Alumapalooza, I will buy a door and frame like on the dump hose area as shown in the first drawing. As you can see in the drawings, it is already shaped and the right size to go in the skirting behind the rear wheel, located as in the second drawing.

I will either move or eliminate the TV outlet. I will probably move it behind the AC outlet if wires are long enough. I really have no interest in outside TV, so it doesn't matter if I eliminate it.

Once I have the framed door, it will be simple to move the propane plumbing up behind it. I can improvise a way to keep excessive dirt off of it.

I'll even have a lockable access to the propane fill area, by default.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DS.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	311274   Click image for larger version

Name:	CS.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	311275  

WBCCI #9632
Old 05-17-2018, 10:29 PM   #34

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
When I am at Alumapalooza, I will buy a door and frame like on the dump hose area as shown in the first drawing. As you can see in the drawings, it is already shaped and the right size to go in the skirting behind the rear wheel, located as in the second drawing.

I will either move or eliminate the TV outlet. I will probably move it behind the AC outlet if wires are long enough. I really have no interest in outside TV, so it doesn't matter if I eliminate it.

Once I have the framed door, it will be simple to move the propane plumbing up behind it. I can improvise a way to keep excessive dirt off of it.

I'll even have a lockable access to the propane fill area, by default.
John, that approach would be great. But there is a lot in that area... I uploaded a few photos in my thread... And I also have the extra batteries there... Unfortunately, I do not think that I can go that route... that would be so cool... much higher... but I have too much stuff in the way.

WBCCI #26769
Old 05-18-2018, 05:26 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I see spray foam here and there in the photos. Any time you have to remove any of that stuff to do work, I recommend adding some copper wool in the void spaces. Rodents can get through the foam very easily, but the wool will stop them.

It's been a while since someone has posted a show-stopper of a rodent invasion story on this forum, but it does happen.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:50 AM   #36

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I see spray foam here and there in the photos. Any time you have to remove any of that stuff to do work, I recommend adding some copper wool in the void spaces. Rodents can get through the foam very easily, but the wool will stop them.

It's been a while since someone has posted a show-stopper of a rodent invasion story on this forum, but it does happen.
I just keep moving their cheese to confuse them....
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-18-2018, 06:44 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
I like the ring on that... freedom camping...

Seems like every so often there is a need to rename things...

Was able to update my post with that
Speaking of what's in a name, in some Sprinter literature, they do not use the term "passenger seat" to describe that upholstered structure on the interior curb side of the cab. They use the term "co-driver's seat". It is actually more accurate. Who gets to sit there like a bump on a log and be a "passenger" in that seat? Not many people. We are almost all co-drivers. If there are passengers present at all, they are in the rear.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:23 AM   #38
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Who gets to sit there like a bump on a log and be a "passenger" in that seat? Not many people. We are almost all co-drivers. If there are passengers present at all, they are in the rear.
My wife does! I can drive all day while she just sleeps or reads. Sometimes, I don't hear a word for her for an hour at a time; usually something like "It is too cold in here."

I talk to the GPS. That is the only female that I can ignore and argue with and get away with it.
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-18-2018, 08:55 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
I talk to the GPS. That is the only female that I can ignore and argue with and get away with it.

FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:17 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
My wife does! I can drive all day while she just sleeps or reads. Sometimes, I don't hear a word for her for an hour at a time; usually something like "It is too cold in here."
+ 1,000 you describe my love of my life accurately Though her words are slightly dyslexic than your wife - "IS IT too cold in here?"
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote