Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2018, 02:21 PM   #41
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
My wife does! I can drive all day while she just sleeps or reads. Sometimes, I don't hear a word for her for an hour at a time; usually something like "It is too cold in here."

I talk to the GPS. That is the only female that I can ignore and argue with and get away with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
+ 1,000 you describe my love of my life accurately Though her words are slightly dyslexic than your wife - "IS IT too cold in here?"
Wow... did not know my wife had so many sisters...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:59 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
There's another thread on Air Forums somewhere that is titled "Does your wife drive?"

Um, I'm the wife, and historically I've been the primary driver. I'm trying to move a little bit out of that role only so that long trips can become a little more productive, hence our recent addition of the Lagun table that can support my computer (a "long trip" for us is a minimum 80 hours of driving, round trip... I can get a lot of work done in some of those hours).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #43
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I totally understood the refusal by my wife when it came to towing my late and lamented Classic 28, all 8800#, 29' length, and 8 1/2' width of it. She is not an especially good driver at the best.

However, I am 85 (she is 10 years younger) and I wish she would try to drive the AI on some easy stretch of highway, with or without the Smart in tow. There may come some emergency when both of us will wish she had. With the exception of not being able to back, towing the Smart is a non-event. Without the camera, it is impossible to know it is back there except on a tight turn.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #44

Orlando , Florida
My wife is not afraid of driving it... she just enjoys sitting next to me reading her books or taking a nap... she takes care of the navigation (sometimes would validate route with Waze), and at times she would get up and walk back to get some water or a snack..
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
My wife is not afraid of driving it...
+1 with my wife, which surprised me because to this date, she won't drive my pickup truck, but drive her extended wheelbase Town & Country She is willing and happy to drive AI if only I will give up the helm.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
+1 with my wife, which surprised me because to this date, she won't drive my pickup truck, but drive her extended wheelbase Town & Country She is willing and happy to drive AI if only I will give up the helm.

Not surprised as a pickup truck has that long hood that makes it hard to see the road ahead. My brothers all have pickup trucks and I've driven them a few times and didn't like the view.

Everything I've owned in last few decades had no hood in front that blocked my view of the road ahead. That includes three vans, a 1990 VW Passat and my Prius.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #47
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Not surprised as a pickup truck has that long hood that makes it hard to see the road ahead.
That's got to be the reason she is not scared to drive our AI. When my wife and I were still dating, she would not drive anything longer than a Mini Cooper or Honda Civic, which during the early 80's were really short. But her T&C and the AI, even though long, have short hoods and hi-vis height.

PAHASKA - I hope you are able to convince your wife to drive your AI. It is a fun drive. Maybe have her read some of our posts here to help her.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:26 PM   #48

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Happy to have received acknowledgement of the emails I have sent...

Quote:
Hi Jaime,

Thanks for your recent communications regarding all your improvements/ideas! Very helpful information.

I'm the General Manager over our motorized division and I work closely with our product development team and I shared your information.

Again, many thanks and many thanks for being a loyal Airstreamer!

Tim
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-25-2018, 01:10 PM   #49
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Happy to have received acknowledgement of the emails I have sent...
Mr. JD,
You Da Man. I would imagine you would have front row spot at the 2019 ALUMAPALOOZA. They offer you a job yet? This is my in-absentia mock-up pic of you sitting up front on the closest thing I own to a TB Lounge chair

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180525_115848 (576x800).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	311977
Old 05-25-2018, 01:34 PM   #50

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Mr. JD,
You Da Man. I would imagine you would have front row spot at the 2019 ALUMAPALOOZA. They offer you a job yet? This is my in-absentia mock-up pic of you sitting up front on the closest thing I own to a TB Lounge chair
Looking forward to attending one... already talking to my wife to start the planning...

But rather than sitting on a chair... you will find me under a chassis... here is an old photo of me that my wife took while I was in the garage... not a prep photo... I did not find out until much later. Found it funny enough to share in the forums I am part of... I just like to work on things...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	workingin_car.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	311980  
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-25-2018, 01:42 PM   #51
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Found it funny enough to share in the forums I am part of... I just like to work on things...
I dunno if it's more funny, or classy, to do car work with white Hilfiger shirt and light polo shorts. But then again, just guessing based on rear wheel off, engine work, wide rear fenders - a 9xx deserves white glove (shirt in this case) treatment
Old 05-25-2018, 01:51 PM   #52

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
I dunno if it's more funny, or classy, to do car work with white Hilfiger shirt and light polo shorts. But then again, just guessing based on rear wheel off, engine work, wide rear fenders - a 9xx deserves white glove (shirt in this case) treatment
Old clothes get promoted to garage clothes... nothing goes to waste

But I have been known to ruin new clothes because I start working in the garage instead of changing to garage clothes first...

And trying to see if I can get my son to follow my steps
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dan.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	311981  
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-25-2018, 05:49 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Old clothes get promoted to garage clothes... nothing goes to waste

But I have been known to ruin new clothes because I start working in the garage instead of changing to garage clothes first...

And trying to see if I can get my son to follow my steps

I use my old frayed cotton work dress shirts for shop work. They are very comfortable.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:41 AM   #54
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I have never written a single post with the mindset that Airstream gives a hoot about my opinion. If they wanted my opinion they would have called or written me personally. I am not holding my breath that HQ is dying to know what I think.
This forum, if used properly, is an incredible resource for any and all Airstream owners. Shared ideas, tech support, advice, experience from owners using their AS in the real world and in real time is why I read and post here. Maybe something I post will help a fellow Classic owner out. I have learned very valuable information from others who have graciously shared their experience so that I may avoid a problem or make a mistake.
If all I want to do is complain about QC, or minor stuff I would write AS directly but I would not expect a reply. I am stunned by folks who complain about QC and how they spent their entire lifesavings on an AS that wasn’t perfect then and few years later, do it again. Really? How many times does it take you to learn to keep your hands away from open flames. If you find a better TT please buy it and have a wonderful and safe trip.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:45 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
“Ouch, that iron is hot! Maybe I should touch it with a different finger...”—Gary Larsen Cartoon.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:14 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Back to this thread topic of providing feedback to Airstream, wow, take a look at this permalink here.

It looks to me like it could represent at least a small-scale game-changer. It originated on an unusually good quality-related thread over in the trailer section. What I mean is, plenty of threads gripe about Airstream quality control, but this one has some meat on the bones, and the tone is respectful.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:31 AM   #57

Orlando , Florida
^ That is encouraging! Thank you for the link!
WBCCI #26769
Old 09-26-2018, 10:04 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Cross-posting this link from another thread just for interest here - Airstream class action labor lawsuit. THAT is apparently how employees themselves provide feedback to Airstream - by litigating.

https://www.sidneydailynews.com/news...ction-approved