Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2018, 11:02 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Washington DC , Washington, D.C.
@interblog Yes, I am also thinking this is the case. It's beyond me why they would lie to me though knowing full well I had service planned around getting that part. It boggles the mind.

I have decided to go the route suggested by my new service guy who I like. I rarely utilize the area under the sofa as it's not the easiest to access for whatever when the back is full with other things. As such we are now going to move the house batteries there in a special box he is getting. In the end I see no reason not to do this as I never utilize that space for storage and it makes them easier to get to for service or replacement later. As well, I never need to worry about them falling off again and killing someone.

Will send pictures when it's done as an option for others who are looking to make this important safety change.

As far as Airstream Vegas...I guess lesson learned. I should have not had the work done there during a layover as any issues are impossible to remedy given their level of service, lack of follow up, and location far from me. I also should have known better this summer when he talked me into doing the battery upgrade while my Fusion system was being replaced (which they botched and had to have replaced again in LA a week later) and when I asked if he can do it all in two days his response was, sure, if you slip my guy a little extra. I did. And watched him slide it in his desk drawer.
eyechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:30 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
escondido , California
I feel your pain. Be steadfast, do the right thing and if it still does not work out then let it go and enjoy your rig.
I heard a story about a guy who was cheated by a vendor and after several failed attempts to remedy, let it go. Now you know he is a cheat and liar and do not have to use his services again. That is worth more than the service he was supposed to provide. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your trip south.
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:48 PM   #63
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyechip View Post
Will send pictures when it's done as an option for others who are looking to make this important safety change.
EYECHIP - that's great of you to think of the other AI members who would benefit from your decision to relocate this inside, while still in the midst of this fiasco. FWIW - I think you are making the best choice of every possible option, regard less of how well this bracket is made. There is absolutely no more safer, convenient, and CLEANEST place for our house batts that INSIDE the house. I truly believe the cleaner inside conditions affect longevity of batts. I have no data to support this opinion, other than my MB & BMW sedans that have batts mounted inside lasts 2x longer than those mounted outside of cabin.

This is also my goal to do some time this winter. So while this path was forced on you by improper upgrade and the non-response, I think in the long term you are better off giving up that area that is not too convenient for storing "stuff". It is the PERFECT SPOT for 2-4 batts.

FYI, you can use the outside space vacated by the batts to store much lighter stuff and/or things that dont mind getting grungy. Things like paper towels, extra power cords, rain gear, plastic tarps, etc, etc. Things that are very light but take up lots of volume, placed in heavy duty plastic bags can be strapped in that area. And even if somehow you loose it on the freeway, it won't kill anyone. I would even fabricate light acrylic box containers to customize that as storage. You can recover a good portion of that lost interior storage.

Best to you on the changes. Looking forward to the new pics. Hang in there, you will get these bugs all worked out.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:14 PM   #64
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I want to trust people I don’t know, and more often than not it works out. But it can be really bad if it doesn’t work out as you have learned. Bad publicity for Vegas Airstream will help a bit for others in the future. Thanks for alerting everyone to these problems.

Your local solution sounds like making lemonade out of a bad situation. Enjoy your next trip. Now, is it dangerous to drive behind an Interstate, especially one with a Las Vegas Airstream sticker on it?

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

@Gene. While I am not here to defend Vegas there is also the real possibility, as is often the case, that I am just the unlucky one in how they have dealt with it. I am sure that many others have had great experiences with them. I am just one who did not.

With that I would say that the ISSUE of the house batteries and the current system is NOT something that they could have known. They were following the standard Airstream config. As has every dealer in the U.S. doing upgrades.

So really, in the end, be nervous behind ANY Interstate with upgraded batteries, lol.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:33 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
House Battery Detaches on Highway Today

This is not the first issue reported on this forum regarding Airstream Las Vegas service department. I recall another user reporting Airstream Las Vegas demanding payment for services performed under warranty, because the unit wasnít purchased there.

And, asking for a bribe to expedite service is just plain slimy.

For these reasons, in the event I need work done on my unit, Iíll use another dealer, despite LV being closest to my home.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #67
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Eyechip, you may be too kind to Vegas Airstream given what steverino posted and has, I believe, been posted before. Glad you are satisfied, however. There is some info on the Forum about having batteries inside an RV—some say sealed batteries are safe, but others claim in certain circumstances, they can vent gases. It was a long time ago I read about that, but just about anything about Airstreams comes up over and over, so you may be able to find something more recent. How protected is the passenger area from the batteries should there be an accident that cracks the batteries open? Battery acid is very nasty stuff and needs to be neutralized immediately. Not sure how to do that, but somehow baking soda comes to mind. I know the risk is very low, but the result of the batteries breaking open is very bad.

We had numerous problems with our dealer back in 2007 and we eventually took our Airstream to the factory for service while under warranty. Over the years, it appears that many owners are unhappy with Airstream dealers. Having had experiences with other dealers as well, I can attest to many RV dealers not being up to our standards. Years ago auto dealers had the same bad reputation, though they have improved a lot over time, I am still cautious when dealing with anyone who fixes things.

I see you preceded my name with "@". Is that something to do with tweets and other things I am too old to know much about? Will all names have the "at" sign from now on? I guess, once again, I am out of the action, uncool and quite satisfied with that. Now I know why my father was even more uncool and never did like that rock 'n' roll. Not being entirely out of it, I now have a phone after years of resistance. It would be easier to wind up than charge it over and over. Where can an old man get a wind up phone?

Old 12-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #68
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I had my macerator and its housing knocked off my AI and it was dragging. I didn't hear it, I was flagged down by a motorist. Airstream in Jackson center reattached and replaced macerator, but I had been worried about the same thing with the batteries when I saw their location. I don't recall hitting anything but they said it was knocked off, possibly by a shredded tire in the road. I just got back from Naples, AM solar and now have a lithium inside. What Lew did to my rig is like night and day. I am so happy that I have less to worry about. Its been raining non stop since I got home, but as soon as it stops, I'll get out and take pictures and post on the "what did you get for your airstream" thread. But, I would have to say....just get rid of those batteries. They are terrible and as you know, in a bad location.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
I had my macerator and its housing knocked off my AI and it was dragging. I didn't hear it, I was flagged down by a motorist. Airstream in Jackson center reattached and replaced macerator, but I had been worried about the same thing with the batteries when I saw their location. I don't recall hitting anything but they said it was knocked off, possibly by a shredded tire in the road. I just got back from Naples, AM solar and now have a lithium inside. What Lew did to my rig is like night and day. I am so happy that I have less to worry about. Its been raining non stop since I got home, but as soon as it stops, I'll get out and take pictures and post on the "what did you get for your airstream" thread. But, I would have to say....just get rid of those batteries. They are terrible and as you know, in a bad location.
Mansderm, I just got my rig back this weekend and am amazed at how snug and perfect the batteries sit under the sofa. The service center I used did an amazing job with the installation (I will get photos here when I get some time). I feel so much better getting them out of the under and into the house. Airstream should honestly be looking at future interior locations that leave them less exposed and thus less likely to fall off and kill someone.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #70
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Agree!
Old 12-10-2018, 04:57 PM   #71

EYECHIP, MANSDERM161 - Can not wait to see pics of both your setups (so I can copy the enclosure they used) Congrats on getting all the batts installed inside the house. IMHO the payback (in eliminating MANY issues) is well worth the lost storage.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Omg...it is unreal. Prior to, I really could not boondock. I would wake up every 2 hours to check batteries and either run generator or start engine to recharge draining batteries. After conversion last week, I woke up at 2am at cracker barrel, saw fully charged battery with fridge and fantastic fan going, and slept soundly the rest of the night for the very first time. So, my original batteries lasted 1 year despite my unit being on the sales lot less than 30 days, my bringing it home every weekend to plug in and only trying to boondock 1 night 4 times in 1 year! I'm just excited to hit the road and have 1 less thing to worry about.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #73

Quote:
Omg...it is unreal. Prior to, I really could not boondock. I would wake up every 2 hours to check batteries and either run generator or start engine to recharge draining batteries. After conversion last week, I woke up at 2am at cracker barrel, saw fully charged battery with fridge and fantastic fan going, and slept soundly the rest of the night for the very first time. So, my original batteries lasted 1 year despite my unit being on the sales lot less than 30 days, my bringing it home every weekend to plug in and only trying to boondock 1 night 4 times in 1 year! I'm just excited to hit the road and have 1 less thing to worry about.
MANSDERM161 - Did you also get your WeBoost cell booster installed? Just curious where LEWSTER and/or you decided to install outdoor antenna & indoor antenna.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #74
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
'161,

You can't go wrong with Lew. We were going to stop and see him in Oregon a few years ago, but a family problem made us rush back to Colorado. He's probably in Fla. now.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #75
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
The outdoor antenna is on the very back of the roof. The indoor is in the overhead compartment near the bathroom.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #76
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
He's in Florida for winter, Oregon for summer.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #77

Quote:
The outdoor antenna is on the very back of the roof. The indoor is in the overhead compartment near the bathroom.
MANSDERM161 - Nice. The rear of roof the best place for outdoor antenna. My booster & indoor antenna is behind front tv bracket compartment. Had to utilize that void somehow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181213_151430.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	335.7 KB
ID:	329612  
Old 12-19-2018, 08:27 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Meanwhile, back on the subject of detached batteries, and the merits of battery mounting underneath the coach vs inside....

As I have mentioned, after I had a battery fall out in June, I had emergency repairs done that put my 132lbs of GPL-4CT 6V batteries in the hidden trunk compartment of my GT. It didn't seem like a good permanent solution because that box seems too weak for that much weight over time and over rough roads.

I could also feel there was too much weight sitting too far back. The rear end was acting heavy and was not happy. It also wasn't happy with the lift kit I was talked into along with some econo-airbags that I'll write about one of these days. For the next 14,000 miles on the road I sat and stewed about what would be the best solution.

It's about leverage as much as it is about weight

I remember learning about leverage and fulcrums and mechanical advantage as a lad. If you have 132 lbs of weight sitting two feet back from the rear wheels (instead of sitting directly over them) and you go over a bump, that 132 lbs has an amplified downward force on the rear suspension and somewhat of a leveraged lifting force on the front suspension. Now move that weight another two feet rearward (into the rear locker) and it's like doubling the leverage effects of that weight. Your static weight on a scale may still show 7000lbs on the rear wheels, but when you are in motion and causing that weight to bob up and down, you can feel the effects. Well, I can.

I finally got a chance to deal with this. My local dealer looked at the situation, talked with Airstream and came up with what I am confident will be a secure way of attaching my batteries underneath. I think it's the same solution that AS LV was wanting to do for Eyechip.

I only have a few miles under my belt with this setup, but I can feel a positive difference on the suspension behavior over bumps. Peace of mind just notched upward.

Here's the pics. The batteries are now on the passenger side because the old frame mounting area was looking like Swiss cheese from all the holes from the past. What you are looking at are six rivets and six sheet metal screws for EACH battery mount. PLUS, they fashioned a 1/4" thick steel bar that cradles the mounts and attaches to some of the frame bracing. I think this is the right approach.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2748.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	330005   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2750.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	330006  

Name:	With Batteries installed.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	330007  
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:33 AM   #79
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
It's okay to have them on their side like that? I never knew..
Old 12-20-2018, 06:28 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
When we developed our custom hitch carrier a few years ago, there were some words of warning about putting additional weight behind the rear wheels, for the same logical arguments that Tronadora cites.

Our carrier plus full Yeti cooler of monolithic ice blocks weighs about 120 pounds, and it is located WAY out past the rear wheels, not just two feet.

Not only do I NOT feel any leverage effects, I actually perceive the van to ride better with the loaded hitch carrier back there.

But we have a Sprinter 2500 which is a non-EXT. Who knows where the tipping point is with respect to these effects? If a van is an EXT, the weight of the EXT portion of body structure is, itself, past the rear wheels, and it weights a crap-ton more than 120 - 130 pounds. So the combination of that plus other things might produce very different impacts, I suspect.

Just some vague perspective here, rather than quantitative analysis.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote