Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2014, 06:42 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Thanks for the clarification lewster. As I said.....still learning.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #82
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Lubbock , Texas
House battery for 2006 Interstate Parkway

I am looking for a recommendation for a new house battery for my 2006 Interstate Parkway. The house battery is located under the passenger seat and the battery tray and hold down is sized for a Group 49 (H8) battery. The hieght must be about 8" or less. When I mention this battery size to sales people they only have starting batteries or dual purpose batteries that will fit in that space. The "experts" say I should have a deep cycle battery but they tend to be much taller than 8". Is a dual purpose marine battery adequate?
electrodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #83
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I think Doug&Maggie will need to weigh in on this; I seem to recall they have the house battery under the passenger-side seat in theirs, and modified the seat pedestal to gain some extra height. But my memory has been known to play tricks on me, so I'm not entirely sure.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #84
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrodx View Post
I am looking for a recommendation for a new house battery for my 2006 Interstate Parkway. The house battery is located under the passenger seat and the battery tray and hold down is sized for a Group 49 (H8) battery. The hieght must be about 8" or less. When I mention this battery size to sales people they only have starting batteries or dual purpose batteries that will fit in that space. The "experts" say I should have a deep cycle battery but they tend to be much taller than 8". Is a dual purpose marine battery adequate?
If you have to be limited to placing your house battery within a limited space….think out of the box!

If you go with a Lifeline AGM battery, you can place them in any position except terminals down. I regularly install Lifelines and place them on their side, giving you much more 'headroom'.

Depending on the size you choose, most popular sized lifelines have a width of less than 7", which when placed on their side, becomes a height of less than 7". Here is a link to Lifeline's size specifications and battery sizes: Lifeline Batteries - Marine & RV Deep Cycle Batteries
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #85
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Lubbock , Texas
Thank you, I will look into that. Leads to another question, do AGM batteries need a special charger or care? Would the charging system on the Parkway be ok?
Old 01-14-2014, 01:39 AM   #86
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrodx View Post
Thank you, I will look into that. Leads to another question, do AGM batteries need a special charger or care? Would the charging system on the Parkway be ok?
That depends. The better the charging system, the longer the battery life. What do you have now?
Old 01-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #87
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Lubbock , Texas
It is a Magna Tec 7355 converter/charging system.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #88
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
That unit will not do, as it does not have 3 stage charging. A better choice is a PD-9255 with Charge Wizard from Progressive Dynamics, but that is still not optimal.

The BEST charger for Lifelines is a Magnum inverter/charger with fully adjustable charging profiles and temperature compensation. They keep Lifelines very happy.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #89
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Lubbock , Texas
Thanks for all your help. I feel empowered!
Old 01-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
@lewster.....Awhile back I commented I had never seen "Full Charge" on my inverter contrl panel. I have the MMS1012 Inverter Charger with the remote panel. The manual discusses its 4-stage charging profile....bulk,absorb,float, and full charge. Like your response earlier, I felt "Float" meant the batteries were indeed full and float just kept them topped off. The manual also states that in "Full Charge" if the battery voltage drops below 12.7 it initiates another "float" cycle......I am wondering if that is why I have never "seen" a full charge on the panel....I just may not be catching it....and/or I may have a drain I have not identified. your thoughts??
toskeysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #91
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Which batteries do you have?
Old 01-14-2014, 02:38 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
I have Lifeline, came with my 2013 Interstate
Old 01-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #93
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Upgrading to a 3 stage charger is a pretty simple operation. Airstream should have done this at the factory. Little or no price difference in putting a"smart" charger into the system at the factory. This of course does not apply to the older Airstreams
Old 01-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
The inverter/charger is the Magnum unit MMS 1012
Old 01-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
@lewster.....Awhile back I commented I had never seen "Full Charge" on my inverter contrl panel. I have the MMS1012 Inverter Charger with the remote panel. The manual discusses its 4-stage charging profile....bulk,absorb,float, and full charge. Like your response earlier, I felt "Float" meant the batteries were indeed full and float just kept them topped off. The manual also states that in "Full Charge" if the battery voltage drops below 12.7 it initiates another "float" cycle......I am wondering if that is why I have never "seen" a full charge on the panel....I just may not be catching it....and/or I may have a drain I have not identified. your thoughts??
toskeysam, it depends which controller and controller documentation you are referring to:

If you have the ME-MR Remote Control, and the Owner's Manual dated "2010 Magnum Energy, Inc" PN 64-0031 Rev C, you will find no reference to a "Full Charge" state.

This is the hardcopy supplied with my own 2014 Interstate.

But if you attempt to download the documentation like I did, I pulled down a 2010 version of the doc, and it does refer to a "Full Charge" state.

I'm concluding it doesn't exist on my version of the ME-MR.

Incidentally, both copies of the doc state clearly that the ME-MR has minimal settings, and that if you want full function, go with the ME-RC.

Hope that helps…..Peter
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #96
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Small typo - the manual I downloaded was a 2009 version - PN: 64-0031 Rev A.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
UKDUDE...The control panel is the ME-MR, the hardcopy manual I have is PN: 64-0031 Rev A.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #98
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
UKDUDE...The control panel is the ME-MR, the hardcopy manual I have is PN: 64-0031 Rev A.
Can you check out the firmware versions using Tech Menu on the Controller? Mine says Inverter Revision 1.6, Controller Revision 1.0.
Then I would suggest a call to Magnum to ask if these Revisions support the "Full power" state.
I'd be interested in their response….Peter
Old 01-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Will check this out over weekend. Weather going south tonight......
Old 01-14-2014, 04:48 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Curiosity got the best of me......I have the same readings. Inverter 1.6 and control 1.0

Will call to see what they say.