Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hot water delay at galley with 2018 Interstate

It would work ok with a standard tank-type water heater, however. Only thing is that it requires 120 volt power, which is not helpful boondocking.

I have seen another product that can be plumbed to dump cold water back to the fresh water tank using a bypass valve and a blue plastic color-changing temperature indicator to tell you the water at the faucet is now hot. It would require a bit of hole drilling for the indicator and bypass valve and a line back to the fresh tank, but has no electrical components in it.

Iíve lost the link, and the name , sorry. A consequence of too much data in a small, old brain. It would work with any water heater, however.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:56 PM   #22
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
...I have seen another product that can be plumbed to dump cold water back to the fresh water tank using a bypass valve and a blue plastic color-changing temperature indicator to tell you the water at the faucet is now hot. It would require a bit of hole drilling for the indicator and bypass valve and a line back to the fresh tank, but has no electrical components in it.

Iíve lost the link, and the name , sorry. A consequence of too much data in a small, old brain. It would work with any water heater, however.
Yes. That is the one I purchased and I am waiting on getting some free time to figure out how to install in our AI...

The Showermi$er (https://aquaviewinc.com/rv/) - model number: SKC002

And here it is installed in a Coachmen Galleria Class B RV...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	showermiser.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	336150  
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:25 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Thanks for updating the group. The collected knowledge of the forum just keeps expanding!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I just saw the link to the ShowerMi$er website and viewed their videos. This does appear to be an uncomplicated and reasonably priced modification to divert the otherwise wasted cold water to the FW tank without the need for an electrically operated diverter valve or pump. The key to installation is access to the backside of the shower wall where the shower head or hose is mounted. Some form of access is normally provided for service. The other need is access to the unpressurized side of the water system. This would most likely be adding a tee to the input side of the water pump which again should be accessible for service.

Depending on construction, the route from the shower to the pump may be simple or hidden but needs to be clear of obstructions to route the PEX or flexible water line.

As mentioned, a ĒfeatureĒ of this method is that if connected to city water, it is possible to fill the FW tank from inside, something I have wished for on occasion. However, if the FW tank is nearly full and connected to city water, it would be possible to overflow the FW tank so attention in this situation is prudent.

Another thing to consider is to add a step or two to your winterizing routine to ensure air or potable antifreeze displaces water in the diverter valve body and return line. If you depend on someone else to winterize your rig, they may overlook this uncommon addition.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
I dry camp a lot and don't like to waste water waiting for hot water, so I installed a push button valve near the kitchen faucet to run from the hot water line to the fresh water tank. Ten seconds and I have instant Hot water.

The valve was obtained from McMaster-Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/6790t46
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:31 PM   #26

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Anacortes , Washington
Water heater access??

Hi, am new on here so please forgive any faux pas!! We have a 2018 Interstate but as I'm reading on this thread, not the only ones without hot water. We would like to access the hot water tank but cannot figure out how to do it. We know where it is located but how do those screws unscrew? Sorry if this sounds ridiculous but our learning curve is steep in some areas!!
Thanks......
Life is Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:40 PM   #27
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Do you have the water heater gas turned on in the home screen of the main touch panel? Upper right.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:17 AM   #28
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is Good View Post
Hi, am new on here so please forgive any faux pas!! We have a 2018 Interstate but as I'm reading on this thread, not the only ones without hot water. We would like to access the hot water tank but cannot figure out how to do it. We know where it is located but how do those screws unscrew? Sorry if this sounds ridiculous but our learning curve is steep in some areas!!
Thanks......
LIFEISGOOD - I understand part of your question but confused with part of it. Part of it may be terminolgy, a pic may have clarified - "how do those screws unscrew?" typically almost all screws in the water heater assembly metal enclosure are philipps & unscrew clockwise. But if you are talking about the plastic capped screws on the wood cabinet access doors, pop off the plastic caps to expose the philipps screw heads, which should be obvious how to unscrew.

As JOHN (PAHASKA) said earlier check your front touch panel first. Not trying to insult your knowledge, we just have no idea where your baseline level is. You provided very little information to start, which makes it very hard to determine how to start to help you. Kinda like saying "I am sick and nothing else". In future, please help us help you better by being as detailed as possible. Example being my detailed reply to you.

If touch screen Water Heater Gas is ON (blue), then stick your head inside doggie door under couch, remove said plastic caps from water heater wood access door. Unscrew wood access panel screws. That will expose the real water heater metal enclosure/box/access panel. Check first that you have white bypass valve set up vertical. Then unscrew metal access door. You will see the controller board. Check the dip switches D3 & D4 that they are set to corresponding temp from factory (120 degrees). Mine was not. I had to reset mine from 108. You can set to your desired temp from low of 108, 120, 125, to high of 130. Dip switch settings provided below, 4 different combos

Hope this helps. Keep us posted what happens. Many folk here are willing to help and WELCOME TO THE FORUM. We all started like you, up to our necks in learning all the systems and still are learning too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190615_233657.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	343488   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190615_233825.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	343489  

Name:	20190615_233908.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	343490   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190615_233849.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	343491  

Name:	20190615_233947.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	343492   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190615_234001.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	343493  

Name:	20190615_234027.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	343494  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:04 AM   #29
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I dry camp a lot and don't like to waste water waiting for hot water, so I installed a push button valve near the kitchen faucet to run from the hot water line to the fresh water tank. Ten seconds and I have instant Hot water.

The valve was obtained from McMaster-Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/6790t46
Same end different road...we just run the water into a 'rinse' only jug 'til it's hot.
Waste not want not...

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote