Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2021, 09:48 AM   #1

2021 Interstate 24GT
Durham , North Carolina
Hot Water 2021 Interstate GT

Hi folks. Here we are, glad to be here... new owners with maybe the first of many questions. We couldn't get the Intertek Suburban Nautilus water heater to activate. Now we can, so never mind. But another water question: what does it mean when we hook up to city water and it fills the water tank and the water tank keeps overflowing? I assume there is a failure in some sort of barrier valve. Any way to troubleshoot? Thanks. (We have had bad luck so far with water. Our water pump is also a headache.)
Bertha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:59 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There *should* be a back flow valve between the city water and the fresh water tank. Often it's integrated with the water pump. AS changes this and that from time to time. One can never say "always" about anything

Best guess is that you have some crud in the valve. If that happens, it sticks open and the tank backfills. Running it a couple times in the "forward" direction may clear it. In extreme cases (lots of stuff in the tank), doing a fill / drain on the fresh water tank first might be needed.

There also is a strainer on most water pumps. If you have a crud problem, it's likely that it needs to be cleaned out.

Stuff does break from time to time, so that could be the issue as well. The good news there is that you have a warranty and a good dealer just up the road.

Welcome to the RV lifestyle

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:28 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Bremerton , Washington
You do know that where you fill the water tank and where you hook up for city water are two different places right?
Northwestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:45 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Mount Jackson , VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwestie View Post
You do know that where you fill the water tank and where you hook up for city water are two different places right?
I was going to say the same thing, but afraid of sounding like Capt. Obvious. The rookie mistakes my husband and I have made is laughable. I use index cards for notes about key items I learn. The manual is not well written or organized. Good luck; the learning curve is steep, but well worth it.
MountainLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:50 AM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Interested in an Airstream Rally this October just a bit west of you in Marion?

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f47...-a-224707.html
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:07 AM   #6

2021 Interstate 24GT
Durham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwestie View Post
Yep. But wouldn't have been past me to need that help. We seem to have got things working properly now with city water by a lot of pulling things apart and resequencing start up and connections with the water systems. We are finding that a lot of trial and error in sequencing seems to make a difference in solving issues. And yes the manuals are fairly useless unless you are a tech trying to install the item in the first place.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:10 AM   #7

2021 Interstate 24GT
Durham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Interested in an Airstream Rally this October just a bit west of you in Marion?

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f47...-a-224707.html
Yes but conflict that weekend. Sounds fun and good for learning. We will hope to make the next one. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:41 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Bremerton , Washington
I'm glad you got it figured out. I hope I didn't sound rude.

I have had trouble with a few things. I don't think the manual is very helpful in most situations. I just had to call Airstream because I could never get hot water. I've had my 2021 Interstate since last October. As it turns out it had been winterized when I got it so the hot water tank was being bypassed. I had to get under the back lounge with my screwdriver and take the cover off box surrounding the tank, then the metal side cover for the tank to make the necessary adjustments. All the while the very kind man was on my speaker phone talking me through it! I was totally impressed with his patience with me and I now have hot water!!

Happy camping!!
Lisa
Northwestie is offline   Reply With Quote