Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2019, 09:58 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Honda Generator - for ASI

One of the subtle things I noticed about the Champion 3400 is that the electrical connections and control panel is on the long side of the generator enclosure. The cooling air intake is on one narrow end, and the exhaust is on the opposite end. That lets me set the generator more or less permanently in the rear curbside corner of my trunk bed, under the tonneau cover. This is a good spot to run it under cover without taking it out if the truck.

In this spot, the engine and cooling air exhaust faces out the tailgate, the controls and connections are easily reached, and the cooling air intake comes from under the tonneau cover. This is an immediate advantage to setting up, starting and running whilst the generator is still in the truck. It also can keep it dry in moderate rain.

As a certified tired old phart, not having to lift the generator in and out of the truck to use it every time I need it is also a great advantage as well.

Bottom line, also carefully consider how you plan to use a generator and where you plan to place it when you run it. The physical layout of air intake, engine exhaust and control and connection location makes the Champion 3400 ideal for my use case. Even the recoil start handle is in the ‘right place’ for me. Serendipity is where you find it. For others, it may not work well.

It’s more than just ratings. In my case, a generator with the engine exhaust on the side or other inconvenient location would not work where I need to put mine while running it. Look at the whole picture before you buy a generator.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:13 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Hermitage , Tennessee
Westinghouse is a really good selection

I bought the 4500 / dual fuel about six months ago, and love it. I built a 30Amp/12V service into my 1971 Sovereign and the 4500 powers everything like you were plugged into a campsite.

I also have a solar array installed / 2 x 160W dumping into 375AH of battery.

As long as I have a water source, ....got plenty of power
ChrisJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:56 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Mesa , Arizona
I 0ut my AI Lounge in sto4age 5wo weeks ago, checked on 8t yesterday and the l8thiums were in fl9a5 at 100%. I have 300 watts of solar. Before the upgrade the AGMs wou”d (ave been alm9st flat in 2 days.
Moodywelman is offline   Reply With Quote