Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2017, 06:19 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Hole in roof

I have decided to remove the Winegard in Motion satellite dish from the top of our rig. We don’t watch tv when camping and I need that space for future solar panels. So, there is a hole in the roof right behind the drivers seat. Not sure how big the hole is but it would be big enough for two cables with good sized connectors. So, after all that what do I need to do to seal up this hole. Assume it is about an inch in diameter.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Decide quick on what you will want that you don't already have, so that you can maximize that hole before filling it. Cellular antenna? Wireless? Security camera? Ports?

You could dead wire some lines as a stop-gap, but in my experience, many a Great Idea tends to hit later down the road, and by that time demands a do-over of whatever had been anticipated to start with.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Decide quick on what you will want that you don't already have, so that you can maximize that hole before filling it. Cellular antenna? Wireless? Security camera? Ports?

You could dead wire some lines as a stop-gap, but in my experience, many a Great Idea tends to hit later down the road, and by that time demands a do-over of whatever had been anticipated to start with.
Good idea, I’m pretty sure I will put at least one solar panel up there, I could put the collector box there and prewire for that.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:48 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Hilliard , Ohio
What do you plan to do with the Winegard unit after removal? I have a similar setup on my 2015 and looking to remove and add 1 solar. Other than Craigslist, is there a resale market for the unit?
MWallOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWallOhio View Post
What do you plan to do with the Winegard unit after removal? I have a similar setup on my 2015 and looking to remove and add 1 solar. Other than Craigslist, is there a resale market for the unit?
There’s eBay, but used ones are selling for about $500. Other than that, not sure of any other outlets.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Many antennas use a 3/4” hole. We used to fill those with a rubber plug, maybe a bit of sealer on it if you are paranoid.
That way later when you want to add something (perhaps XM or cell booster) you can just pop out the plug and put in the new setup.

Done well, they didn’t leak. Same with through antennas, the good ones have an ‘O’ ring and work well.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:59 PM   #7

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cleburne , Texas
IN motion satillite dome.

I maybe interested in your antenna if you desire to sell it.
Let me know. djyoung@hotmail.com
Djyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djyoung View Post
I maybe interested in your antenna if you desire to sell it.
Let me know. djyoung@hotmail.com
Ok, I should have it off this week. I’ll let you know.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I am thinking about getting a 'tailgater' type of satellite. I don't plan to watch while in motion and thought the portable one would give flexibility between where I park the AI and where I put the satellite. I have cable at home and would switch to satellite at home to if/when I get a satellite for the AI.

My questions: Can the same receiver box be used with the home antenna and the tailgater type of satellite? I know that some companies have a month by month subscription of traveling. But if I had one receiver box couldn't I just use my one (home) subscription whether at home or on the road? I have multiple TV's at home. There are two TV's in the AI, but I'd only be watching on one of them - if that matters.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I do it with my DirectTv receiver. Works with the permanently mounted antenna on the house and then, when I head out for the summer, I just take the receiver and remote with me. I use the King Quest portable, automatic antenna (very similar to the Tailgator). Works fine.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Along those lines... this looked to me like a conventional residential dish on this Sprinter upfit... first time I've seen that on a van roof.

Nice school colors custom paint job (it's a tailgater), but really bloody hot for Texas. Owner was not present so I could not ask questions about the config. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4834.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	297906
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote