Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2016, 04:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gualala , California
Help with charger/inverter

Plugged in at my daughters home before leaving on a 3 week trip and I get a Fault message followed by No Comm. I believe I am not charging the batteries with Shore power. I tried turning off the inverter/charger but reverts back to the error message . . . . . . HELP!
Robertjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertjacobs View Post
Plugged in at my daughters home before leaving on a 3 week trip and I get a Fault message followed by No Comm. I believe I am not charging the batteries with Shore power. I tried turning off the inverter/charger but reverts back to the error message . . . . . . HELP!
What is your battery voltage? Too low will give you that fault.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gualala , California
12.8 v
Old 04-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Try a hard reset. Remove all AC and DC power from the inverter along with removing the monitor cable and the BTS.

Wait 15 minutes and reconnect. See if that clears the fault.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters***Victron Energy Components
541-490-6357
Old 04-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
From the ME-MR Manual:
• No Comm - Remote is not receiving any information from the inverter.
Remedy: Reset the remote by disconnecting the remote commu- nications cable from the inverter for 5 seconds, and then recon- nect it (see Figure 2-3). If the fault continues, first check/replace the remote cable. This cable is 4-wire telephone cable.
What if the cable is not the issue?
• Try another remote display.
• Disconnect the remote from the Remote port and connect to the Net-
work port.
• The inverter might need servicing.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Most of the 'no comm' faults that I hear of involving the Magnums are limited to the MMS-1012 using the ME-MR remote. I have never seen this fault with the ME-RC full-function remote. (I am a factory authorized Magnum service center)

If the unit was functioning well prior to the fault, its is highly unlikely that you have a cable problem. Much higher probability of a malfunction in the ME-MR remote.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:05 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gualala , California
This site is amazing. I powered down for 15 minutes and disconnected the comm cable from the display. Back in business. Saved a full freezer of food and an out of the way trip to the Airstream dealer.

Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2016, 09:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjacobs View Post
this site is amazing. I powered down for 15 minutes and disconnected the comm cable from the display. Back in business. Saved a full freezer of food and an out of the way trip to the airstream dealer.

Thanks again!
good job!!!!
Old 04-18-2016, 05:06 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
I"m sitting at my desk with no access currently to the van. How do you disconnect the cable from the display? do you unscrew the display and pull it out of the panel or something? (for future reference) THX
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks71 View Post
I"m sitting at my desk with no access currently to the van. How do you disconnect the cable from the display? do you unscrew the display and pull it out of the panel or something? (for future reference) THX
Depends on where your Magnum is located. If it's under the rear lounge, then you can reach in and disconnect the RJ-11 plug (phone style) from the inverter. If it's a newer model with the Magnum under the driver side jump seat, remove the ME-MR remote and disconnect there.

A 'hard' reset involves removing the positive battery cable also, which is a bit more invasive. I provide a 300 amp marine switch in my installations for this pour pose, but Airstream does not.

A 'soft' reset involves simply depressing the little grey button on the Magnum above the green LED and holding it in until the LED start to flicker. This will also clear some minor faults.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:50 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
Thanks
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:22 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Montrose , Pennsylvania
Is the MR-RC a direct replacement for the ME-MR remote?

Can one buy the new remote and just plug it into the same cable?

Thanks!

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Most of the 'no comm' faults that I hear of involving the Magnums are limited to the MMS-1012 using the ME-MR remote. I have never seen this fault with the ME-RC full-function remote. (I am a factory authorized Magnum service center)

If the unit was functioning well prior to the fault, its is highly unlikely that you have a cable problem. Much higher probability of a malfunction in the ME-MR remote.
bsedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedor View Post
Is the MR-RC a direct replacement for the ME-MR remote?

Can one buy the new remote and just plug it into the same cable?

Thanks!

Bob
The ME-RC IS a plug-in replacement but it needs a larger opening for flush panel mounting. If you wish to avoid this type of panel modification, Magnum also has a matching black plastic surface mount box that lets you mount the ME-RC to amy surface that has the available space. It's the ME-RC-BZ.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Montrose , Pennsylvania
Excellent. Where is your business located again?
Bob

Quote:
The ME-RC IS a plug-in replacement but it needs a larger opening for flush panel mounting. If you wish to avoid this type of panel modification, Magnum also has a matching black plastic surface mount box that lets you mount the ME-RC to amy surface that has the available space. It's the ME-RC-BZ.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Excellent. Where is your business located again?
Bob
Naples, FL until Sunday and then on the road to Hood River, Oregon with an estimated arrival date of May 15.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:18 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Montrose , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Depends on where your Magnum is located. If it's under the rear lounge, then you can reach in and disconnect the RJ-11 plug (phone style) from the inverter. If it's a newer model with the Magnum under the driver side jump seat, remove the ME-MR remote and disconnect there.

A 'hard' reset involves removing the positive battery cable also, which is a bit more invasive. I provide a 300 amp marine switch in my installations for this pour pose, but Airstream does not.

A 'soft' reset involves simply depressing the little grey button on the Magnum above the green LED and holding it in until the LED start to flicker. This will also clear some minor faults.
So I got the dreaded NO COMM error. I disconnected the remote-no luck. Am I correct in thinking that I need to remove the jump seat in my Grand Tour to be able to access the reset button???!!!!

Bob
1 nice beagle, 1 mean chihuahua
Old 04-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
So I got the dreaded NO COMM error. I disconnected the remote-no luck. Am I correct in thinking that I need to remove the jump seat in my Grand Tour to be able to access the reset button???!!!!

Bob
You should be able to access the re-set button by lifting the jump set from the front, effectively tilting it back. There is an opening in the top panel that should give you access to the grey re-set button.

The Magnum is oriented so the re-set button and accompanying green LED will be found in the rear right corner of the Magnum. This is where you should also find the opening in the screen cover to allow access.

Remember to press the re-set button and HOLD IN until the green LED starts flickering.

Hope this helps!