Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2020, 02:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Cedarburg , CO
Help Removing Battery on 2018 TB Interstate EXT

Can anyone give me advice on how to access the batteries in my unit? They appear to be under the roadside rear jump seat. Do I need to remove the jump seat to access them? They are under a screen, and it not obvious how I can remove them or even get a charger on them. The owner's manual is not very helpful here. Thanks.
pendergastjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendergastjm View Post
Can anyone give me advice on how to access the batteries in my unit? They appear to be under the roadside rear jump seat.
In the 2018, the batteries are under the coach, mounted side by side in trays riveted to the frame rail. The way I would remove them would be to raise the rear of the coach on blocks or ramps and use a garage jack to lower the batteries.

What you are seeing under the roadside jump seat is mostly wheel well with the Magnum inverter and associated stuff. The battery cables come to the Battery Manager in that area and you can get a charger on them there. Look for the big red and black cables.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:48 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Cedarburg , CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
In the 2018, the batteries are under the coach, mounted side by side in trays riveted to the frame rail. The way I would remove them would be to raise the rear of the coach on blocks or ramps and use a garage jack to lower the batteries.

What you are seeing under the roadside jump seat is mostly wheel well with the Magnum inverter and associated stuff. The battery cables come to the Battery Manager in that area and you can get a charger on them there. Look for the big red and black cables.
Thank you! I assume I need to remove the jump seat to get to the cables that you are referring to? It seems that Airstream could have made this easier to get a charger on the batteries!
Old 01-05-2020, 01:23 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
escondido , California
Are you not able to plug the rig in? That will charge the batteries. Batteries can be disconnected at the batteries. You should disconnect both chassis batteries if you are working on the coach batteries. What specific problem are you having?
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:52 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
If you plug the Coach in, the Magnum Charges the Coach and Chassis batteries
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:01 PM   #6
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
If you plug the Coach in, the Magnum Charges the Coach and Chassis batteries
Unless you have let the batteries get too low. In that case, the Magnum will not turn on. It takes a certain voltage before the Magnum will start charging.

Idling the engine for a time may get enough charge in the system to get the Magnum to start.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Cedarburg , CO
Thanks everyone for the input. Let me be clearer on what I am trying to do. I store the Interstate in an unheated storage garage. I do have power to plug into, and do so. Here are the two items I am not sure about:

1. When plugged in, do I need to have the main switch for the house features (lights, refrigerator, etc.) in the on or off position for the house batteries to charge? The switch I am referring to is the one at the main cabin entry door that controls all power to the main cabin. I have read different viewpoints on this.

2. Since I live and store the Interstate in Wisconsin I am trying to be prepared to remove the batteries in case we get an extended period of sub-zero temps. I know that in most cases I should not have to remove the batteries, but rather just keep them charged. However, there are some winters here that are really brutal, so I am trying to be prepared and protect the batteries by removing them.

Thanks again for any input you can give me.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:05 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Judson , Texas
You have to have the switch on to charge the batteries
StreamingAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:13 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Liberty Township , Ohio
Pendergastjm,
Your two OEM batteries are accessed via from under your rig. In complete agreement with the comments of others that you will need some type of assistance (floor jack, slide of some type or someone with some extremely strong forearms) when sliding each battery off of it's respective tray. IMO these batteries are heavier than they appear and from my own personal experience this is amplified when moving this awkward dense weight from the tray position to the ground.
I gained my first-hand experience in early 2019 when I posted a "battery tray supplemental support system" (see attachment) that I installed when postings of this tray system failing began to circulate this forum. As an update this system is still fully intact roughly 8K miles after installation.

\House Battery Tray Supplemental Support System (2).pdf
Luckysnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:46 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Cedarburg , CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamingAI View Post
You have to have the switch on to charge the batteries
Thanks. I will flip the switch to on from now on!
Old 01-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Cedarburg , CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckysnuck View Post
Pendergastjm,
Your two OEM batteries are accessed via from under your rig. In complete agreement with the comments of others that you will need some type of assistance (floor jack, slide of some type or someone with some extremely strong forearms) when sliding each battery off of it's respective tray. IMO these batteries are heavier than they appear and from my own personal experience this is amplified when moving this awkward dense weight from the tray position to the ground.
I gained my first-hand experience in early 2019 when I posted a "battery tray supplemental support system" (see attachment) that I installed when postings of this tray system failing began to circulate this forum. As an update this system is still fully intact roughly 8K miles after installation.

\Attachment 358766
Thanks. Your PDF file is very helpful. I will be working this solution this coming spring. (That's around August in Wisconsin)
Old 01-06-2020, 12:05 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Liberty Township , Ohio
A follow-up to my original post ~ I did make one refinement to this battery tray supplemental support system; although the original 180 lb. tensile strength rated nylon zip ties appeared fine, about two months ago I replaced all of these with 250 lb. tensile strength rated nylon zip ties. FYI, on only one of the loops around the batteries I was required to daisy-chain two 40" zip ties together to achieve an adequate length, but this posed no problem and I do not believe it compromised the aggregate strength integrity of combined two zip ties.
Following is a link for these heavy duty nylon zip ties:
https://www.forneyind.com/products/c...y-duty-10-pack
Luckysnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:44 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Cedarburg , CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckysnuck View Post
A follow-up to my original post ~ I did make one refinement to this battery tray supplemental support system; although the original 180 lb. tensile strength rated nylon zip ties appeared fine, about two months ago I replaced all of these with 250 lb. tensile strength rated nylon zip ties. FYI, on only one of the loops around the batteries I was required to daisy-chain two 40" zip ties together to achieve an adequate length, but this posed no problem and I do not believe it compromised the aggregate strength integrity of combined two zip ties.
Following is a link for these heavy duty nylon zip ties:
https://www.forneyind.com/products/c...y-duty-10-pack
Thanks!