Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Help...diesel fuel issue

I filled up Mercedes sprinter with diesel that wasn't extra low sulphur 30 miles ago. What damage have I done? I'll find somebody to take it out of tank Monday.

Thanks!!
Bobsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:33 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsprinter View Post
I filled up Mercedes sprinter with diesel that wasn't extra low sulphur 30 miles ago. What damage have I done?
The main effect from using diesel that is not ultra-low sulfur will be to your DEF system.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Tulsa , Oklahoma
Just found out that, even though not labeled, was indeed ultra low sulphur. Turns out pumps for little cars. Trucks are labeled but truck pumps aren't, but it is all ultra low sulphur. Whew!!������
Old 12-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #4

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsprinter View Post
Just found out that, even though not labeled, was indeed ultra low sulphur. Turns out pumps for little cars. Trucks are labeled but truck pumps aren't, but it is all ultra low sulphur. Whew!!������
Be aware, though, that in some parts of the country you CAN find low-sulfur diesel for off-road use in the same stations as the ultra-low-sulfur variety, especially in farming communities. Low-sulfur diesel is commonly used in tractors and other motorized farm implements, and it's cheaper because road use taxes are not included in the price. Non-road-use diesel typically contains a red dye to provide visible evidence of misuse.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Ultra low sulfur fuel is 15 ppm. Low sulfur is 500 ppm. Low sulfur will not hurt your DEF system. (Actually what Proteg should have said is your SCR system). DEF is the fluid that goes into the SCR system. But low sulfur fuel will hurt (poison) the catalyst part of the diesel particulate filter. But not to worry, even nonroad fuel is now ultra low sulfur - and has been for several years. But watch out for BP - their green nozzles are not diesel, they are gasoline. And that WILL HURT YOUR ENGINE.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:11 PM   #6

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Ultra low sulfur fuel is 15 ppm. Low sulfur is 500 ppm. Low sulfur will not hurt your DEF system. (Actually what Proteg should have said is your SCR system). DEF is the fluid that goes into the SCR system.
You are quite right. I got my tongue wrapped around my eye teeth and couldn't see what I was saying…
Old 12-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thanks you guys. I love this forum. It is so helpful. HUGE quantity of first rate knowledge out there. Thanks!!