Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
Bummer but not surprised. Since you're waiting on really great bulbs might just check all the connections on the stuff you installed. If it's still dead snag some Philips Xtreme replacements. Currently the best thing readily available.
2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S 550hp/553tq
2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 5.3L built 4L60e, 40k Tru-cool
Mr. Merk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:42 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
As a "distant second" to his German bulbs on order, Daniel Stern recommended "GE Lighting H7 55NHX/BP2 Nighthawk Xenon Replacement Bulb" (Amazon description).

Its Amazon ratings are TERRIBLE, with many users reporting very quick burn-outs. What the heck?! This is a halogen bulb, not an LED - the trade-off for its corresponding poor visibility is that they are actually supposed to stay lit.

But at this point, that's what I have on order. Plus cheaper spares from Walmart in case one or both of those $25 "Xenon" bulbs burns out in the next few weeks while I'm on the road.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I always have some spare bulbs- headlamps, taillamps, turn sigs etc.
They can be just regular old ones- those are relatively cheap and work fine.
Then if any issue on the road it is just a few minutes to Change.

I also avoid driving it at night for a number of reasons. Perhaps one of the most important ones is I like leaving early, so by nighttime Iím pretty tired. (Well, wintertime around here it gets dark quite early, so that would be the time I would most likely be driving at night).

The LEDs I installed (others on SprinterTalk had used them with good reliability) do have a bit better lighting. So far they have lasted well. Installed the correct way they still have a nice sharp cutoff and not a bunch of glare.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:16 PM   #24
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
There was no more than 12 hours of operation on that headlight. We installed it June 30 and it was dead some time before July 19. But I barely drove during that period of deep south roasting.

I don't know whether this is due to bulb defects, or if the Sprinter's electrical system is causing the problem. I've got an email into Joel, and I will investigate this via Sprinter Forum as well.
INTERBLOG - Hard to believe that you actually have installed that many "bad bulbs". 12 hrs. is just too short for any bulb, even standard ones. If I assume the bulbs were not touched by bare hands, then you may have a loose headlight housing causing vibrations. Any recent front end bumper/fender bender even if no damage, or slammed front end on big pothole? That could easily cause loose headlight housing. Also check your connectors. They should be very hard to pull out. If too easy, either try spreading out if accessible. Or buy new connectors and splice them into wiring. Extreme case would be electrical issue with regulator. Not sure on your MY but the regulator usually is part of alternator. The filaments, especially the hotter & brighter you go, are already operating at their max. temps & current. If they are not burning steadily, but is subjected to fluctuations (regardless if caused by vibrations, connector contact, or alternator) will dramatically reduce its life.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote