Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2018, 03:22 PM   #21
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Wineries and Ohio. See, I would never have guessed without something like Harvest Hosts to show me the way.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:02 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Some of the Ohio wineries make some really good wine. Others...so so, but they are all a unique experience. There are quite a few up near lake erie too. You can contact the tourism office and request a map with all the wineries.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanMcD View Post
InterBlog, I did see that but I don't see that it gives names. I get the pointer finger icon when hover the cursor over the location but click and nothing happens. I did deduce that one location near me is actually a vineyard right down the road from me because the ID marker indicates it's a winery/brewery/distillery and that's the only thing like that anywhere around here where the ID icon marker sits. I've tossed around joining HH for a couple of years, it's not that expensive so should just pull the trigger and join but the other downside for us is the wife & I both use CPAP sleep machines so no electric might be an issue. Thanks for the replies!
You don’t get the names of locations unless and until you become a HH member.

There are a lot of wineries in HH, good if you drink a bottle frequently, not so much if you are mostly by yourself.

I notice they have added some museums and other small tourist attractions, which I like.

Maggie
Old 12-30-2018, 12:09 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Rock Hill , South Carolina
We are in Maryland and joined. Before our membership expired, we became life-members. I love it and am very excited about the golf course options. We don't play golf but most have places to eat! It looks like adding 300+ locations, many being closer to our routes will be great. We do have the advantage of 'seeing' the locations because we are members. We have only stayed at breweries (or wineries that also make beer) so far. The hosts have been fantastic and many times we have been the only ones there. Works much better for us than Walmart because we tend to sleep in later than most.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1557.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	396.4 KB
ID:	330645  
rastapoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:07 PM   #25

Great point about places to eat at golf courses, that could be fun.

With HH we have stayed at farms, wineries, breweries, farm-style markets, a sculpture garden (awesome!), a very eclectic museum with a little bit of almost anything, and a historic airplane museum at a local airport.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I just joined HH for $44 (using code) and added the Golf course package for $27. We don't golf, but planning trip out to California in the Spring and having backup locations to dry camp will be a good thing, if only for peace of mind.

From their maps, looks like plenty of options between Texas and back on I-10 and I-40 (which is our planned loop).

Anybody use Roadtripper software/app or other you like?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:44 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
I joined HH about a month ago. Haven't used it yet, but no doubt we will in the future.

I did notice that, at least at some of the golf places, you have to book a round of golf. So, just a heads up for those of you who are considering that. Might not be enough to just plan to eat at the restaurants.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:34 PM   #28

Harvest hosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I just joined HH for $44 (using code) and added the Golf course package for $27. We don't golf, but planning trip out to California in the Spring and having backup locations to dry camp will be a good thing, if only for peace of mind.

From their maps, looks like plenty of options between Texas and back on I-10 and I-40 (which is our planned loop).

Anybody use Roadtripper software/app or other you like?

We used Roadtrippers this summer/fall to plan our trip from Glacier to Florida. It’s not perfect, but we found it to be very useful.

Old 12-31-2018, 03:17 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
I did notice that, at least at some of the golf places, you have to book a round of golf. So, just a heads up for those of you who are considering that. Might not be enough to just plan to eat at the restaurants.
I got an email that today is the last day to upgrade by adding the golf for $27, but I don't see any details about it. Did you only learn about that after you'd joined?
FarFetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:34 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFetched View Post
I got an email that today is the last day to upgrade by adding the golf for $27, but I don't see any details about it. Did you only learn about that after you'd joined?

Yes, after I joined at the $44/yr. rate, a pop-up offer appeared to add the $27 golf course feature. Just a caution, once you select, it charges you immediately. Convenient, since you don't have to re-input a credit card, but startlingly swift.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:18 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
West Chester , Ohio
Tri-State Area Harvest Host Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanMcD View Post
I have always thought HH would be fun and different but not sure about what is near us. Are there any HH places near the Cincinnati / tri-state area? How many? Not looking for you to disclose what exactly they are but rather if there are any and perhaps how many. The other deterrent to us joining is we don't drink and most places seem to be all about drinking, like breweries and wineries. Although farms, museums, etc. would be fun. Also we usually take a couple of long trips every year and staying at an HH place on the way might be just the ticket.
Alan,

Our first Harvest Host visit was at a winery in Indiana that is only 40 minutes from Cincinnati. We didn't actually like any of the wines they had to offer (a bit sweeter than what we like) but the restaurant there was very good. We were able to stay in their vineyard with water and electric available. Quite a few farms available in Ohio too. We have found HH to be very worthwhile and already extended our membership to include the golf option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180825_170241.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	555.9 KB
ID:	330757  

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2020 GMC 2500
LeatherDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:56 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I believe they are set up to automatically re-enroll you, and charge your credit card, when your membership year is up, so maybe check for that if you aren’t sure you want to maintain your membership.

They don’t alert you beforehand, just charge you.

Maggie
Old 12-31-2018, 07:11 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
If you email them, they will add it
Old 01-01-2019, 06:43 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
I missed the email, noticed it this morning, it states "rates go back up 1-1-19" link still worked at low rate. Now I have golf too, the auto renewals are done at the locked in low rate. If you stay at one location per year, it pretty much pays for itself.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:33 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Yes, after I joined at the $44/yr. rate, a pop-up offer appeared to add the $27 golf course feature. Just a caution, once you select, it charges you immediately. Convenient, since you don't have to re-input a credit card, but startlingly swift.

I should have been more clear: Did you only find out about having to book a round of golf at some locations after you added the golf option? I couldn't find anything in the promo or pre-signup material that mentions that - it just says something like "you don't need to play golf to stay at these locations".

Even though we've had a membership for a year now, one of the reasons we haven't used HH yet is that when we want to spend just one night somewhere, we're usually on our way to someplace else and driving longer days. That means we don't usually pull in to our waypoint until after 5pm or so, and that doesn't get us there in time to try the host's wines or whatever, which is the host's incentive for participating.

I'm thinking a golf course wouldn't care as much, especially if they have a restaurant, which we might actually use.
FarFetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:39 AM   #36

Most likely, each location that requires you to book a round of golf will have that information noted in that spot's detailed information on the Harvest Hosts website. For example, it's common for museums that allow overnight guest parking via HH to require that you buy ticket and visit the museum. That bit of information is always on the details page. Even at locations that don't explicitly require a purchase of some kind, we always try to find an excuse to buy something as a minor way of saying, "Hey, thanks!" We also post reviews on HH so their kindness and hospitality accrues to them in some useful way.

I mean, seriously, at less than $100 per year for this service, it's not like we actually paid much for the sites and nights we use, so as far as we're concerned, engaging with hosts who care to do so, and giving back via small purchases and nice reviews (where deserved) is part of the experience.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:11 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFetched View Post
I should have been more clear: Did you only find out about having to book a round of golf at some locations after you added the golf option? I couldn't find anything in the promo or pre-signup material that mentions that - it just says something like "you don't need to play golf to stay at these locations".

Even though we've had a membership for a year now, one of the reasons we haven't used HH yet is that when we want to spend just one night somewhere, we're usually on our way to someplace else and driving longer days. That means we don't usually pull in to our waypoint until after 5pm or so, and that doesn't get us there in time to try the host's wines or whatever, which is the host's incentive for participating.

I'm thinking a golf course wouldn't care as much, especially if they have a restaurant, which we might actually use.

I plan to check on requirements as the situation presents itself (when we my want to stay at a golf course). Hoping it is not a requirement at many, as I don't play golf.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:00 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Me too.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:27 AM   #39
CAV
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Dubuque , Iowa
Promo code ended 12/31. Glad to hear good reviews. Am solo; concerned for safety. Are pets allowed at most places?
CAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #40

Harvest hosts

Pet rules will vary by host. At a minimum you will probably be required to keep pets on a leash when outside. Some places may already have farm dogs that don’t appreciate visitors. Locations generally say so in the details (e.g. “no pets outside your RV, please”). Also, when you call to ask if you can stay there on your preferred night, you can ask.

We have always felt 100% safe at HH locations.