Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #1
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Good Sam Extended Service Plan

FYI: A few weeks ago I got a quote on a Good Sam ESP. Thought the price was exorbitant from Good Sam as well as some other companies that quoted me. I decided to self insure for RV repairs. Good Sam just sent me a follow up with quotes for 2 high deductible plans. ($1,000 deductible). Their Silver plan which contains a lot of exclusions is $235.54 for one year and their more comprehensive Gold plan is $338.62. My coach is out of warranty now so I may go ahead and do the Gold plan.

Bill
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Good idea as the two NOx sensors run about $1,500 installed.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #3
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Problem there is neither the Good Sam ESP or any other extended warranties (that I've looked into) cover emissions stuff. They are covered under the Sprinter Engine or Emissions 5 year warranty though. After that, were on our own.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Then I'd take the money and save it for when something does fail.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:36 AM   #5
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Then I'd take the money and save it for when something does fail.
Are you getting another Interstate?
Old 03-07-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
No, got a high roof Transit 350 that's getting converted now similar to the AS Autobahn.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #7
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
Problem there is neither the Good Sam ESP or any other extended warranties (that I've looked into) cover emissions stuff. They are covered under the Sprinter Engine or Emissions 5 year warranty though. After that, were on our own.
C21 -

If your vehicle was purchased in & registered as a CA vehicle originally, & it still is or you were to register it there again - then the CA Emissions Eqpt. Warranty goes to 7 years & 70K miles, & I think the EPA Emissions Eqpt. Warranty is 5/50. Check your new warranty docs.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/warranty.pdf

Just be thankful it's not one of the CARB/EPA legally problematic VW/Audi/Porsche 3L Diesels!

PS - Please keep us posted if you get it & have any claims as to how they're covered - or not - since I've read up on 3rd party CPO Warranties & Extended Service Plans, & they all seem to have very high negative reviews for denying coverage for any excuse. Only the factory backed CPOs seem to give the actual coverage, & then not always with the lower cost vehicles, vs. Lexus, Audi, MBZ, Porsche, etc. Even Fidelity who handles those companies' CPO's has gotten very bad on claims with their 3rd party version, according to the reviews & ratings I've read. I wanted to do them on an out-of-state Cayenne S for which we're looking, but they look so bad I can't depend upon the 3rd party ones, but would do a Porsche CPO.

Good Sam isn't in those ratings, but maybe check for whomever handles it for them.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #8
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
I called Good Sam ESP Claims department and was told the O2 Sensors and NOX Sensors are covered under their gold plan. I asked them to direct me to where it was addressed in the warranty language and he said it wasn't directly mentioned but he did call the underwriter and they also said those items were included. My coach was 1st registered in Oregon (& currently) and I believe Oregon has the same emissions warranty rules as California.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:09 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
NOx replacement

Quote:
Youch, MB replaces mine under warranty more often than I buy Slim Jims!

Maybe we can start another hate the EPA thread. (just kidding)
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:15 PM   #10
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
C21 -

Just be thankful it's not one of the CARB/EPA legally problematic VW/Audi/Porsche 3L Diesels!

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
Actually Wally, we have a 13 Touareg TDI and we're pretty happy. They are agreeing to fix it + pay us around $7500 + another $1500 from Bosch. If they cant meet EPA and CA guidelines they have to buy it back. We like the car and hope option 1 works out. Previously I had a Jetta TDI but sold it before the emissions problem surfaced so no $$ for that one.

Bill
Old 03-07-2017, 05:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtom View Post
Youch, MB replaces mine under warranty more often than I buy Slim Jims!

Maybe we can start another hate the EPA thread. (just kidding)
Mine was out of warranty by about nine months.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:35 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
Quote:
I called Good Sam ESP Claims department and was told the O2 Sensors and NOX Sensors are covered under their gold plan. I asked them to direct me to where it was addressed in the warranty language and he said it wasn't directly mentioned but he did call the underwriter and they also said those items were included. My coach was 1st registered in Oregon (& currently) and I believe Oregon has the same emissions warranty rules as California.
Get it in writing, you can't depend on what you were told over the telephone!
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:19 AM   #13
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebtown View Post
Get it in writing, you can't depend on what you were told over the telephone!
Excellent idea!
Old 03-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #14
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Actually Wally, we have a 13 Touareg TDI and we're pretty happy. They are agreeing to fix it + pay us around $7500 + another $1500 from Bosch. If they cant meet EPA and CA guidelines they have to buy it back. We like the car and hope option 1 works out. Previously I had a Jetta TDI but sold it before the emissions problem surfaced so no $$ for that one.

Bill
Wally??

PS - I agree about in writing!

Hey Bill,

We were actually including the Cayenne TDI in our current search, & I know several very happy CayTDI owners in our PCA down here, as well as on here. Porsche put their Warranties out to 10 years when it happened - long before VW did diddly-squat (I think Audi did so too). One CayTDI owner also had his 2.0TDI Jetta Wagon which he LOVED bought back in this fiasco.

My long time Austrian Porsche/Audi/VW Mechanic of 41+ years says that the 3.0L V6 TDI is an excellent & technologically advanced engine, & all of his customers who has them love them.

The problems he sees for them going forward are:

1.) Even with the fix & payments - he feels that they just won't run as originally intended after the fix is applied,

2.) V/A/P is washing their hands of the Diesels here in the USA, so at some point parts will become unavailable & they won't support it, so after the legally mandated period (10 yrs. in US, 15 in Germany/Europe IIRC), you may not be able to keep them running.

So if you still have your T-Reg TDI come 2013, you may want to consider other options if the parts are getting scarce.

As somebody who already has several classic cars running into this lack of parts support issue, & who will keep our Cayenne long term - I don't want to run into this later on & have chosen to only look at the 2008-14 normally aspirated gas V8 Cayenne S for our TV.

I had been considering Cayenne Diesels & awaiting their intended Macan TDI, but now am off it completely, much to my disappointment. We'd also looked at a couple of the T-Reg V10 TDIs too!

It's really just too bad that some stupid & dishonest VW engineers & execs chose to cheat & defraud their customers, dealers, & the government agencies - the latter of which will ultimately include European & others. How idiotic is it to ruin your business rep in that way.

And don't get the idea that I'm anti-VW - quite the opposite, being the original owner of our 1988 VW Westfalia (restored 2012-13) & 2nd owner of my 1973 Porsche 914-2.0 "914-S" since 1975 which I'm currently restoring - in addition to hunting for the Cayenne S!

Also on your original question for the ESP for the RV - I'm not sure that CA Emissions Warranty wouldn't still apply, even if not first sold here, so if the OR warranty is less time/miles & you want to move the reg later to CA (based on what I'm looking at for buying an out-of-CA CayS) - you should double check that with a VW dealer in CA check, if that happens.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:35 PM   #15
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
I have a bit over a year left on the Sprinter engine & emissions warranty. Think I'll wait until just before those expire then get the Good Sam High Deductible Gold plan.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I too thought the ESP was expensive. And per their website they DO NOT cover the EGR valve or emissions items. And they only cover 'defects'. Not everything breaks because of a defect - some things just wear out. Who decides???

I am getting their roadside plan - seems cheap insurance for what could be a very long tow or service call for a tire repair.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:03 PM   #17
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I too thought the ESP was expensive. And per their website they DO NOT cover the EGR valve or emissions items. And they only cover 'defects'. Not everything breaks because of a defect - some things just wear out. Who decides???

I am getting their roadside plan - seems cheap insurance for what could be a very long tow or service call for a tire repair.
I've had their roadside plan for several years. Nice thing is it covers all household vehicles including motorcycles. I've only had to use it once when a brand new Harley trike quit 50 miles from the dealer. Good Sams vendor dispatched a flatbed who took me back to the dealer.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I looked into the Good Sam ESP- the price didn't seem outrageous, but there were WAY too many things not covered. Pretty much all the things I was concerned about having issues it were not covered.

Really I was looking into it more for potential problems when on the road someplace, not at home. Most stuff here I would fix myself.
I did not get one, but already had gotten the roadside insurance for when I originally drove it back after purchase.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote