RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-20-2020, 05:32 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Goal Zero Yeti 1500x wired in?

Someone had a picture of a Goal Zero Yeti 1500X wired into their GT, does anyone know who that was?

Wondering how much the 1500X powers or how long you can generally pull off it, and if itís worth getting or go for a bigger Yeti. Iím not looking at upgrading just for the Airstream. We used ours when the power was out after the big storm this summer, and it was extremely helpful to be able to power some fridges and freezers along with our cell phones and flashlights.

If anyone has any experience with the newer Yetis, Iíd appreciate any reviews you have to share.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:08 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Traverse City , Michigan
If you are on AI Facebook, there are several people there that use the yeti.
Heckler56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:33 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Cedar Rapids , Iowa
No Iím not, I was but found some in the group to be very snarky otherwise Iíd probably have the info I am looking for also, but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:37 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
I believe that Pahaska has wired his GZ directly into his coach's circuitry.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:50 AM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rat View Post
I believe that Pahaska has wired his GZ directly into his coach's circuitry.
I have the GZ wired into the output side of an unused fuse position through a 30a fuse. By turning the master switch at the door off and plugging in the GZ, I can power the entire coach.

You do need the regulated 12v GZ adapter to keep the fridge running when the GZ battery starts to get low and the GZ voltage starts to drop. I have the GZ 1000 and this happens overnight without the regulated adapter.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:57 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Cedar Rapids , Iowa
John, where do you store your Yeti then? Have you seen the new lithium options with the 2000W inverter? We have the 1250 I think, it works well but itís heavy and thinking about upgrading. I like the idea we can take it out and use it at home if we have another situation like this fall where we didnít have power for a week. Sorry Iíd missed that you had one wired up.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:10 AM   #7
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
John, where do you store your Yeti then?
The GZ is under the desk in my 2018 GT, against the wall. I ran a heavy wire pair from there, over the bathroom, and down into the electrical area under the RS jump seat.

The GZ is really not in the way in that location. I keep the GZ charged with a 12v car charger with the wire routed around the driver's seat to the outlet on the base of the driver's seat.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-21-2020, 03:15 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Cedar Rapids , Iowa
We like our Lounge as the extra seats come in handy but it is one downfall to having any extra room for things like the Yeti. Iíd put it there too if we had the option.

We like to take a outdoor screen tent which fits perfectly across the back floor area. Ours might just have to sit behind the driver seat on the floor. Not much other room for it anywhere else I think. I have the 12 volt plug and that would be a handy way to charge the Yeti while driving. Havenít tried it yet with out old version. Thought Iíd get to it late this summer but the big storm took care of any extra circular plans. Iíll work on it this winter with my other projects, I think.

Iím just wondering how much power is smart vs. the cost. They donít come especially inexpensive.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:45 PM   #9

Airstream - Other
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Can you do up a quickie wiring diagram? Crayon on paper would be good enough.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I have the GZ wired into the output side of an unused fuse position through a 30a fuse. By turning the master switch at the door off and plugging in the GZ, I can power the entire coach.

You do need the regulated 12v GZ adapter to keep the fridge running when the GZ battery starts to get low and the GZ voltage starts to drop. I have the GZ 1000 and this happens overnight without the regulated adapter.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:45 PM   #10
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Can you do up a quickie wiring diagram? Crayon on paper would be good enough.

Lynn
Any sort of diagram would be so elementary as to be useless. It is just 2 wires from wherever the GZ is located to the fuse box. One wire to ground and the hot wire to the output of an unused fuse position. The GZ end of the wires must have a connector that will attach to the GZ 12v adapter.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-21-2020, 06:54 PM   #11

Airstream - Other
But wouldn't this arrangement power only what is connected to that unused fuse position? It's kind of like powering up a circuit that isn't there.

Or maybe I'm just dense.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Any sort of diagram would be so elementary as to be useless. It is just 2 wires from wherever the GZ is located to the fuse box. One wire to ground and the hot wire to the output of an unused fuse position. The GZ end of the wires must have a connector that will attach to the GZ 12v adapter.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:20 PM   #12
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
But wouldn't this arrangement power only what is connected to that unused fuse position? It's kind of like powering up a circuit that isn't there.

Or maybe I'm just dense.

Lynn
Fuses work both ways. They are not like diodes. If you connect to the output side of a fuse, it powers the entire bus that the fuse is on.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-22-2020, 07:31 AM   #13

Airstream - Other
Oh, NOW I get it. You have the fuse in place! I was thinking that you had the fuse removed (which is how I ran just one circuit from the battery). Knew there was something askew with my thinking!

Lynn
Old 11-22-2020, 09:23 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Cedar Rapids , Iowa
John, how did you hook into your fridge? There’s a feed on this but I didn’t do a good job of saving it. I found the regulated cord online, but can you leave it wired up 24/7? I’m also sure this is probably an obvious question, but just trying to wrap my electrically unsmart mind around it.

I have to say, I also overlooked the powering the entire block situation with the fuse. Makes sense after you say it.

If I can ask, how long can you go running on a charge on your Yeti then? I’m sure it depends on what you are running, but just looking for a general idea.

Thanks for sharing your information. I’d love to get off grid more especially when I stay at home where I can’t park on the driveway since it’s uphill and plug in. Or stay in a few less conventional areas where power sources aren’t as easily available.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:53 AM   #15
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
John, how did you hook into your fridge?

If I can ask, how long can you go running on a charge on your Yeti then? Iím sure it depends on what you are running, but just looking for a general idea.
I have a 2018 GT and my fridge is 100% 12v, so there is no need for 120v in my coach.

I leave the 12v car charger hooked up to the start battery all of the time. It will not discharge the start battery past a safe level. That gives me the GZ charge plus some help from the start battery.

I have only tested it overnight so far. With both the fridge and the freezer running, the GZ got down to the 67% level overnight. It was hot weather and the freezer was working hard. If I were boondocking, I would turn the freezer off and turn the fridge to the high 30s. At that consumption, I should have several days even without any appreciable solar input. With solar input, the BlueSea battery manager will pass some of the gains on to the start battery which will then pass on to the GZ.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-22-2020, 11:45 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Since I’m working on solar panels this winter, can you tell me what Blue Sea component you added to allow the solar to charge your coach battery and in turn the Yeti please? Sounds like I need a few more components to make my Yeti work like I want it to, meaning...like yours.

Your power usage sounds reasonable and good to have a little extra power when you need it.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:23 PM   #17
Contributing Member

The Blue Sea ACR will connect batteries as soon as the solar starts to charge.
WBCCI #9632

Tags