Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2017, 03:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Glacier National Park - RV Experience

We plan to take our Airstream Interstate to Glacier National Park after Labor Day for one day only and were hoping to learn suggestions from other Class B visitors. The Going To The Sun Road sounds like its a must see but apparently there are restrictions for vehicles over 21 feet long. I did read online someone who went in their Roadtrek Class B and were allowed to go and had no issues.
I welcome comments by RV visitors to Glacier.
Jbrannack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Pretty tight for a class B with overhanging rock outcroppings.Would not recommend it.We used our F350 Supercrew lwb which is just over 22ft with no problems.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

How are you (and your passengers) for white knuckle drives? This is one of those double questions: Can I ? Should I ?

I can still remember my reaction to being in the passenger seat first time on that particular drive ... in 1959 ....It's not just a driver question. The bigger the vehicle (and the more other traffic) the more crazy it can get. After Labor day is better for traffic than before. If you go the whole route with stops, it's a long drive time wise (depending on traffic and number of stops). It won't kill the entire day but it will take up a lot of it. I'd plan on stops since they let everybody get a good view of the scenery and stretch legs.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Take a Red Bus Tour over GTTS. Worth the money. If the shuttles are still running use them.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:57 PM   #5
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
I was up there in July but I towed a trailer with my Harley in it and rode the Harley thru the Park. The above suggestion on the red bus tours is an excellent one. The buses are from the 1930's and although they are obviously over 21' long they are grandfathered into the park. They are refurbished and fitted with modern engines (5.4L) and brakes. Looks like a very cool way to see the park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Bus.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	378.0 KB
ID:	293529  
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:14 PM   #6
BioMedMan

2011 Interstate Coach
Layton , Utah
We drove the Road to the sun in our Interstate last summer with no problems. The red car for tours are as long as our RV. Even if there's traffic, you may be slower, but that gives you more time to see the spectacular views. If you have a time crunch, just plan on leaving the park from the opposite side you entered. Don't double back. Really gorgeous in either direction!
BioMedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:23 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
Hi, Jbrannack. I'm in Glacier right now and did Going to the sun road today. With my 62 globetrotter happily resting at St. MARY Campground. I would not recommend towing anything. The Red Vintage busses had to stop frequently in tight areas. I recommend you do the same as I. Settle on east side and leave for Sun road in morning. Drive yourself, if you like taking photos. Return in early afternoon, east bound. Also, be aware... there is a lightning caused wilfdire near lake McDonald. It reduces visibility and I would not recommend for anyone with respiratory problems. Heavy smoke to the west. Esp. In afternoon. Can effect visibility on road, too.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:14 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bozeman , Montana
We were there in our Interstate in July, stayed on the east side and rented a compact car in East Glacier for a couple of days (AVIS I believe). However, if you only have one day I would agree with those who recommended the Red Bus tour -- great overview and you don't have to worry about driving. Plus they retract the roof which expands your views tremendously.
ArcherTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Take a Red Bus Tour over GTTS. Worth the money. If the shuttles are still running use them.

Agree that the Red Bus Tour is great. The shuttle buses we saw two years ago were long Sprinters, just like the Interstate vans.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:24 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Buhl , Idaho
I have driven that road many - many time. Leave your trailer at a campground, drive the Going to the Sun hiway and come back, stay in your trailer overnight and go wherever the next day. That road is not designed for LLLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGG vehicles - don't be an idiot and cause an accident. Try and be safe, rather than sorry.

Goodshepherd.
goodshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:38 PM   #11
S/OS # 023

2005 28' Safari S/O
Indianapolis , Indiana
Glacier NP GTTS

We are heading up to Glacier after stopping at Tetons, and Yellowstone
have two days there 9/13 & 14 and plan to drop our 28' Safari S/O in West Glacier and see the park in our 2010 Tundra - that way we can bring Benji along
Our question is concerning the fires in the park - are there any updates on conditions? are the fires moving? How is the visibility?

Arlette, Steve & Benji
PovIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
We were in Glacier in July. Stayed in Avalanche (west side) for two nights, and used the shuttle to get to Logan Pass. Then we drove to Two Medicine (east side) early one morning to get a camping spot there. We drove around the S side on the park on Hwy 2, which was shorter than going across Going to Sun road. But an early AM (6 AM) trip across Going to Sun road would have worked just fine. Little traffic and height issues only exist when going west.

We had no reservations for any nights of our two week trip through Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Glacier. Always hit the road early to be at our next desired spot by 7 AM. I drove, wife slept - or at least stayed in bed and rested. We typically stay outside the park the night before - at a NF campground or an improvised site, to get in early the next day. Nice NF campground at Hatchet Creek just W of Moran entrance to Grand Teton. Lousy NF campground near Coram, W of Glacier - should have improvised.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:21 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Kalispell , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by PovIndy View Post
We are heading up to Glacier after stopping at Tetons, and Yellowstone
have two days there 9/13 & 14 and plan to drop our 28' Safari S/O in West Glacier and see the park in our 2010 Tundra - that way we can bring Benji along
Our question is concerning the fires in the park - are there any updates on conditions? are the fires moving? How is the visibility?

Arlette, Steve & Benji

We live in Kalispell and air quality up here is not great right now. There are a lot of fires around us right now and in the Pacific Northwest. It changes every day but the last two days have been pretty bad in the flathead valley, maybe not quite so bad in the park but if you want a real time view check out the webcams at Logan pass and lake Mcdonald on the glacier nps website.
Montanadoc is offline   Reply With Quote