Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2018, 08:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Morgan Hill , California
Generator not running A/C?

Hello, We are new owners of a AI (2017 GT Ext) and have a question about our A/C. Our Ac works fine when plugged into shore power but with the generator blows air but it's not cool. I suspect the generator is not turning on the compressor. nothing else, like microwave or high draw electrical systems are on.

Unsure if it's related but our microwave also takes a long time turning on when on generator.

I suspect there maybe an is issue with the generator but wanted to check with more experienced owners if it's something else? How do I check the output voltage and frequency of the generator on the AI?

Thanks much!
rajsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajsingh View Post
Hello, We are new owners of a AI (2017 GT Ext)
I suspect there maybe an is issue with the generator but wanted to check with more experienced owners if it's something else?

Thanks much!
No problem running the A/C off the generator. I believe I have the same model.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
RAJSINGH - First of all, congrats on your new rig. Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of info on this forum regarding A/C running on GEN issues. This has been beat up like a dead horse within many different MY configs. Please read one of the latest threads first and see if any of the configurations & workarounds apply. Based on your description, if there is an issue, it would be with the way the EMS is shedding loads. Some MY are configured with an EMS that utilizes 2 separate shed relays (fan & compressor). This does not sound like a GEN problem.

Link below:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ue-185000.html
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:34 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Morgan Hill , California
Thanks. I'll try it will all loads shed to see if it can sustain the compressor.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Does this happen when your batteries are deeply discharged?

I have the 2017 also. With batteries down, the generator gives first priority to recharging batteries. It may be many minutes before enough spare amps are available for A/C compressor or microwave. We've seen this several times.

We normally have the Magnum rate of charge set to 100% to recharge as quickly as possible. If we want to run the microwave, we temporarily set it to 50% and that works.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Size generator/AC

A little more info is needed. What size generator are you using and what size AC 11,000 BTU, 13,500 BTU or 15,000 BTU?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71 View Post
A little more info is needed. What size generator are you using and what size AC 11,000 BTU, 13,500 BTU or 15,000 BTU?
Good question. OP has a 2017 with only 3,000 miles. So the assumption (maybe should not) is it has the 13,500 2.5k combo as is supplied from factory. Hopefully OP will confirm/clarify.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:02 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Morgan Hill , California
Yes it's a 2.5KW generator and 13500 BTU A/C. Standard factory setup. I tried it again after turning off all other loads and letting it warm up till the microwave display lights are on and it seemed to do the trick. Thanks all!
Old 08-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #9
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
Does this happen when your batteries are deeply discharged?

I have the 2017 also. With batteries down, the generator gives first priority to recharging batteries. It may be many minutes before enough spare amps are available for A/C compressor or microwave. We've seen this several times.

We normally have the Magnum rate of charge set to 100% to recharge as quickly as possible. If we want to run the microwave, we temporarily set it to 50% and that works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajsingh View Post
Yes it's a 2.5KW generator and 13500 BTU A/C. Standard factory setup. I tried it again after turning off all other loads and letting it warm up till the microwave display lights are on and it seemed to do the trick. Thanks all!
Sounds like you found your answer. We experienced the same issue in our 2010 and it took me several times of going through the process to realize what was going on. I'm not certain I have a full understanding of how our model year charges the battery and sheds loads but at least now I am not surprised when it takes several minutes (maybe 20 or 30 depending on battery charge) before the A/C will run.

It's not a matter of allowing it to "warm up" but as TayaraTravel said, recharging the batteries takes priority.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
It's not a matter of allowing it to "warm up" but as TayaraTravel said, recharging the batteries takes priority.
LUCIUS - yes. The easiest & simplest way to deal with this is to be resigned to the fact that the GEN can only handle one of these at a time - the A/C or Microwave or Bulk charging. Go for 2 and chances are it will shed a load. I believe there is a way to change load shed hierarchy by switching which load is connected to which shed relay. But that is dependent on which EMS you have.