Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2018, 08:35 AM   #101
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
On the outlets not working unless generator is on... with generator off you need to turn the inverter on. I did the same thing (except was trying to watch tv without generator).
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:51 AM   #102
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Thanks
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:19 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post

It's CRAZY to me that these rigs are sold without this hood. When is ventilation most needed? In the highest humidity! When is humidity the highest? In the rain! Duh...

Interstates from 2010 to about 2015 came with the superior MaxxAir fan that has a built in low profile rain shroud. The Airstream switched to the FanTastic fan that requires an ugly high profile fan shroud. It that progress? Love my MaxxAir fan - works great in rain.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #104
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Yes, I would need the shroud and agree not that attractive, but will probably get one since it would be nice to run fan when raining. Wonder if you can just replace fantastic fan with the MaxxAir?
Old 09-19-2018, 03:12 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Yes, I would need the shroud and agree not that attractive, but will probably get one since it would be nice to run fan when raining. Wonder if you can just replace fantastic fan with the MaxxAir?
Sure, but it's a boat-load of work, particularly where the caulk is concerned (i.e., getting it off and getting the surface prepped for reseal... just ask Dave, wherever he is now... it took him hours and hours to strip down his vent, and even if your rig is newer with not as much goop, I don't see it being a picnic).

I haven't done it yet because I only want to do it once, so I need to be assured of the quality and quiet-ness of whatever I'm installing. That is being researched over here (link).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
I also could not charge phone via outlets unless generator was running? That didn't really make sense to me, but that is what I noticed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
On the outlets not working unless generator is on... with generator off you need to turn the inverter on. I did the same thing (except was trying to watch tv without generator).
MANSDERM161 - I am confused about your outlets not working unless gen is on. You said when trying to charge phone, so I assumed (maybe incorrectly) you were referring to the dual usb outlets near jacknife seats on R/S and on C/S side. On mine, they run off the batts. Its on Ckt.# 6 RED that controls Fridge, LPG det & valve and tank monitors. I just confirmed it few mins ago. Without shore or gen power, when I am running off batts, they are on (pics below of both sides).

However, if you were referring to AC outlets, then I agree with TOBBUN, either need gen on or turn inverter on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180713_170335-1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	323039   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180713_170411-1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	323040  

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #107
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I have a very crappy samsung galaxy S6 phone that takes forever if not indefinitely to charge with my USB outlets. So, I don't use them. I need the fast charger plugged in to charge. But my USB does not look like yours at all and does not light up showing power. Even when using the outlet in the dash with the car adapter takes fooooorrrrreeevvver.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:53 PM   #108
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
To all of you interstate owners!
I was traveling on I-70 last week doing my 62 mph thing. Pulling the 23 international.
When this silver Mercedes pulls by slowly on the left. I thought that is a really nice rig coming up and then the interstate logo skips by!
Wow! That was a classy looking rig!
After 3600 miles of crazy graphic rvs.
The AI really made a good impression on me.
It truly is a classy way to travel.
Just saying

Tom
Muriel 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:56 PM   #109
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
I have a very crappy samsung galaxy S6 phone that takes forever if not indefinitely to charge with my USB outlets. So, I don't use them. I need the fast charger plugged in to charge. But my USB does not look like yours at all and does not light up showing power. Even when using the outlet in the dash with the car adapter takes fooooorrrrreeevvver.
MANSDERM161 - It not your Samsung fault. It is the cheap usb charger (1.2A) they put in our units. Actually mine broke (both of them just stopped working), that was 3 months ago and the dealer that promised to expedite it, still has not called me. I used Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 cig lighter adapter(s) in all our other cars, it has a 3.0A port for fast charging. But once they came out with the direct-wired units, I decided it was good to convert rather than put the $2 units AS supplies. IMHO Piece of garbage to put in any AS. Since you have Samsung, you will be able to take advantage. On iPhones, some models do not support fast-charge without buying another Apple cable converter (that's what I heard but can't confirm for iPhone users).

Go get these replacements from Amazon. They are well made, aluminum body, has the display so you know if it is working or not (FWIW, the voltage is actually pretty accurate, tracking the Firefly display). Easy swap, 2 wires, even comes with it's own fuse. You do have to round out the flat notch on the faceplate as the new one does not have the flat spot on the threaded body. Easier to round out the thin faceplate than the thicker threaded body. Your S6 will charge 3-4 times faster. We have an S4 that we use for Fusion Auto Connect Remote and it charges from 25 to 100% in less than 60 mins. Our S6/7/9 even faster.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Water.../dp/B07DGNQNLR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71h1szKNgTL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	323044   Click image for larger version

Name:	61DJ3paetPL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	323045  

Old 09-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #110
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muriel 1 View Post
To all of you interstate owners!
I was traveling on I-70 last week doing my 62 mph thing. Pulling the 23 international.
When this silver Mercedes pulls by slowly on the left. I thought that is a really nice rig coming up and then the interstate logo skips by!
Wow! That was a classy looking rig!
After 3600 miles of crazy graphic rvs.
The AI really made a good impression on me.
It truly is a classy way to travel.
Just saying

Tom
TOM - Wow, thank you for the nice endorsement, especially since I bought the silver, to try and be as close to the Airstream theme I have done 2 yrs of research on Class B's and although there are a lot of units that may have "other" house features, if taken as a Total Package (including the MB features AS orders & even the subtle AS exterior body panels and especially the interior appointments), it was hard to pick the others over the Interstate, even with the bigger savings I could've gotten on other Class B's. Even now, with the growing pains of some big & smaller problems, I would still buy an AI over the others. I would take any MY AI over the other manufacturers too. The only exception being a full custom from Advanced RV.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:58 PM   #111
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I was camping in Georgia last week and met a couple in the winnebego era. I ask them how they liked their rig and explained I had The AI. They traded in an Airstream trailer for it. They've had 2 years of "nothing but trouble" and wished they'd stayed with airstream. I explained I had troubles too, "doesn't go with the territory" and I had been to JC already for several issues. They said they contacted winnebego for service after trouble with local service and it was close to a year wait. They were not happy with major things like roof leaks, air conditioner not working etc.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:23 AM   #112
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Thanks! I will definitely get those!
Old 09-20-2018, 10:49 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
... I have done 2 yrs of research on Class B's and although there are a lot of units that may have "other" house features, if taken as a Total Package (including the MB features AS orders & even the subtle AS exterior body panels and especially the interior appointments), it was hard to pick the others over the Interstate, even with the bigger savings I could've gotten on other Class B's. ... The only exception being a full custom from Advanced RV.

ALEX - I agree Airstream does order better Sprinter options than the other B-van manufactures. Custom builds from places like ARV, Sportsmobile or Outside are the only way to get a fully loaded Sprinter.

This was very obvious when I was at the Hershey RV show last week. We looked at B-vans from Roadtrek, Pleasureway, Winnebago and Airstream. The Interstate was the only model that had the Sprinter factory hand grip inside the sliding door to help you get in. Winnebago and Pleasureway had no hand grips, Roadtrek had a cheap aftermarket version installed that did not feel solid. This hand grip is probably a $50 option from Mercedes.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #114
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Thanks! I will definitely get those!
MANSDERM161 - That great. Also, you can go Full WACHUKO and do his mod and install at front dash to get rid of the wire clutter. I wired driver to MB +12v and passenger to AI +12v
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180713_185521-1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	323141   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180713_185717-1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	323142  

Old 09-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #115
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I have one USB right behind drivers seat above small table and 2 in back by the bed. The one in front is for fusion upgrades I was told. And I have the cigarette lighter type outlet in front lower part of dash.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #116
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
I have one USB right behind drivers seat above small table and 2 in back by the bed. The one in front is for fusion upgrades I was told. And I have the cigarette lighter type outlet in front lower part of dash.
MANSDERM161 - Oops, forgot you have the GT Model. The WACHUKO usb mods are on the outside of the center storage compartment to it's left and right. And yes, the one inside the compartment is dedicated to Fusion, most folks don't plug anything there coz Fusion has a habit of bizarre behaviour if anything plugs in it
Old 09-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #117
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
Boxster,

Is that grip handle the T74 GRAB HANDLE FOR ENTRANCE option on a Sprinter build?
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Interstates from 2010 to about 2015 came with the superior MaxxAir fan that has a built in low profile rain shroud. The Airstream switched to the FanTastic fan that requires an ugly high profile fan shroud. It that progress? Love my MaxxAir fan - works great in rain.
I couldn't agree more with Boxster. Zero complaints about my Maxxfan. No matter what the weather, you can set, and forget it. And if you drive off without lowering it, well, I don't recommend it, but won't hurt it either.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:08 PM   #119
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCabin View Post
Boxster,

Is that grip handle the T74 GRAB HANDLE FOR ENTRANCE option on a Sprinter build?
THECABIN - Not sure how soon MIKE sees your question, but since I saw it - on the AI, it is standard equipment (at least on my 2018 and probably a lot of previous MY). On a Sprinter order, don't know if standard or have to spec. But definitely available from MB. Also they came with same handles on driver/passenger doors.