Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2024, 11:48 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Fallbrook , California
Generator issues or am I doing something wrong?

Hey all,

Once again, I'm a new AS sprinter owner, for the first time, and while the dealer gave me a pretty thorough walkthrough of everything on the vehicle, I'm still learning a bunch of things the hard way. I really appreciate your help and the kindness on the message board so far.

We have a built in generator on our 2017 Airstream Interstate. I turn it on, and the AC will run, but after a couple minutes, when everything else powers on on the main board (the part the says the 20v, 30v, Generator - the W/H, AC, COFFEE and MICROWAVE light up) then the generator seems to shut off.

I was told I can't run the microwave and AC at the same time, but even when I'm not running the microwave, the generator sounds like it is stalling out.

Do I need to actually shut these off on the circuit breaker to prevent the generator from shutting down? Or do you think this is a mechanical issue that needs to be looked at?
freddyzuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 12:20 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Stab in the dark

I would go back through manuals to each component and read those to understand inverter/ charger/ etc. need to know what each part does, name and how to work for your system. It will improve DIY / troubleshooting significantly.

Based upon what you wrote, in the next generation AI, maybe powers differently,

If our in charger is on, the microwave and AC will run and then the charging circuit will grab as primary and not leave enough power to then support the AC or the microwave. So for us charger off.

Very simplified approach

A thought process of:
I turned on the generator
what /why did I turn it on / to support which system
let me make sure that system is primary

We tried reducing charging capacities, but was actually more complex on the Tech side of the charger in to constantly manipulate.

this basic approach has helped us almost in every first troubleshooting step. If A then B or why not B.
Others on here will be able to explain this in far greater detail and better than me.
Old 06-10-2024, 06:13 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Browns Valley , California
Here's another shot in the dark:

You mention that the generator sounds like it's stalling out. Does it sound like that when there is no load? If it runs fine with no load, but only starts stalling out under load, it could be that it's not getting enough fuel or it could be a clogged air filter.
JimMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 08:49 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Annapolis , Maryland
This may not be your issue, but something you should be aware of. The generators on the AIs of your era (mine is a 2016) have a recall on the internal hoses cracking. This can cause the generator to run rough.

Here's my post (one of my first) that helped another on the forum diagnose his issue.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...ml#post2617251
jmahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 08:54 AM   #5
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Ocala , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmahone View Post
This may not be your issue, but something you should be aware of. The generators on the AIs of your era (mine is a 2016) have a recall on the internal hoses cracking. This can cause the generator to run rough.

Here's my post (one of my first) that helped another on the forum diagnose his issue.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...ml#post2617251
Good reminder that I need to validate the condition of the hoses in mine during the next yearly maintenance check. On second thought, might as well change them proactively.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSB200040.pdf (2.12 MB, 8 views)
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 11:23 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Fallbrook , California
Hey everybody, thank you for your responses. I wanted to make sure I at least come on here and give the conclusion, or "what I found out to fix it", in case somebody else has no idea what they're doing (like me)

It turns out, I was overloading the generator as you guys said. I didn't realize that it can't go past the 20 amps (if that's the correct word) and I just found out we can see that on the control panel where all the systems are shown. Once the generator powered on, I had all the things running, and it overloaded.

Now, I'm just shutting off the things I don't need on the circuit breaker, and if I need one specific thing, I turn it on, and it seems to be no issue.

Thank you for the help everybody!
freddyzuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 12:16 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Take a look at inverter / charger/ generator settings and you may be able to shed a load or adjust software on power system to allow more power to 120vac and less power to your charging side. Depending on what your goal is, your system will do. For us it took some adjusting on our system to get to our happy place.

If you’re using actually hard circuit breakers to shut off systems. ( I think that’s the hard way, absolute as opposed to shutting off charger / inverter on the actually device).
Hope this helps.
Old 06-18-2024, 05:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Sounds like your EMS is not working. It is supposed to shed loads in some priority order. In 10 years of ownership I have never called upon my EMS to do its thing - I always keep track of what's on and only use one high-power thing at a time. I have my Magnum charging rate set a 50% (for two Group 24 AGM batteries). I always have a 1-2 minute delay after starting the generator before everything goes live. I don't think this is due to battery bulk charging, because it happens even when the batteries are at 100% SOC.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 08:18 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
San Ramon , California
Same Problem

We have a 2021 Interstate. Had the same problem with the generator. It turns out the system prioritizes the microwave for power when the generator is running. If you let the generator start and run for a couple of minutes, it will go through a start up routine and you’ll hear a beep when it finishes. The power management system should automatically shed loads that aren’t being used and allow you to turn on the AC. If it doesn’t, you can cycle through the items on the screen and force it to shed the microwave. That will allow the AC to run. Otherwise, the system thinks you’re drawing too much power and shuts the generator off.
GigiFrenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 10:28 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Titus, could I make the suggestion instead of limiting the charging rate to 50% which if you’ve turned on the generator to charge you likely want the charging rate to be 100% when you want the generator for the microwave / AC. You shed the load as GigiFeenchie explained and “ shed” the charger, you place the Charger into “standby” for charging and it’ll put Magnum in the standby mode , allowing the MW or AC to be priority.