Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2018, 12:58 PM   #21
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom23 View Post
On a different note, today, I took delivery of my 2018 Airstream Interstate Tommy Bahama Grand Tour!!! My wife and I are very excited. Were leaving for a shakedown trip toward N. California this week. I can't wait!
Wohooo!!!! Congratulations! And safe travels!!!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:42 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
It is confusing that Firefly can only AGS when shore power is not present, as it seems they see everything else. But (not trying to defend them) my question is why would there be a need to AGS when connected to shore power? Would not the Firefly system already be triggering the A/C based on what user has set on Firefly thermostat? And as long as shore power exists, AGS would not be needed? Am I missing some corner case gen usage while under shore power? Admittedly, I have fired up my gen many times but only to exercise it rather than true usage.
I am not clear about the Firefly shore power detection either...

According to the AI delivery orientation, if the generator is started while shore power is connected, the generator takes priority and it is used. No damage is done. I am not sure what is the problem.

Anyway, after I use our AI for few days, I will have a better idea of what needs to be done.

Even though I am not clear about the Firefly people statements, I believe that a Firefly AGS is the cleanest way to do it as it requires no more hardware. As long as their code does what it is supposed to do.

Maybe they will give us a discount if many of us do the upgrade.

For the 2017 and earlier AI's (non-Firefly), the second Magnum option will be the most precise but more expensive. The first Magnum option will be the easiest and cheapest to implement.

Thank you all. I'm loading up the AI for some cruising!
Boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:48 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
- , VT, AZ, CA
If anyone has need for an Onan Energy Command 30 (EC-30), mentioned in the first post, I have an unused one that I'd be happy to sell (just send me a PM). It was never installed because my thoughts have turned towards a generator-less new build.

Don
don000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Just FYI, I heard a rumor the 19’s can be ordered with auto gen start.....[emoji6]
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #25

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Just FYI, I heard a rumor the 19’s can be ordered with auto gen start.....[emoji6]
Shut up! 4x4, self-leveling system, air ride, now auto gen start... new Sprinter will also come with more safety features... Can't wait for what else is in store...

I really need to wait a few years... they are not making it easy...
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-04-2018, 04:53 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I really need to wait a few years... they are not making it easy...
Steady lad....steady.....

If it's any help, I also heard there will be a very limited supply of 4x4's for the '19 builds due to SOB buying up most of MB's 3500 4x4 inventory, so you may well be looking at a '20 given the goodies you want.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:17 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
To each his own: My Prevost’s had generator auto start, never used it once. As for four wheel drive, I never have needed on three Interstates over nine years, although the small additional height might be useful. For self leveling, it might be nice but I have only used my blocks once in nine years. Now, the Air Suspension, I did not think I needed based on my ride experience on my first two AI’s, but I was totally surprised at the difference it makes in overall handling, especially in curvy mountain roads, and it’s very good when towing my Jeep. My only worry for any future AI purchase is trying to have Airstream build on with the old hot water system as in my 2017, with electric and propane capability, not to mention the loss of back storage space caused by the new system. So, we all have individual needs and wants, and perceptions.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:38 PM   #28

Orlando , Florida
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by busb2 View Post
To each his own: My Prevost’s had generator auto start, never used it once. As for four wheel drive, I never have needed on three Interstates over nine years, although the small additional height might be useful. For self leveling, it might be nice but I have only used my blocks once in nine years. Now, the Air Suspension, I did not think I needed based on my ride experience on my first two AI’s, but I was totally surprised at the difference it makes in overall handling, especially in curvy mountain roads, and it’s very good when towing my Jeep. My only worry for any future AI purchase is trying to have Airstream build on with the old hot water system as in my 2017, with electric and propane capability, not to mention the loss of back storage space caused by the new system. So, we all have individual needs and wants, and perceptions.
That is just my inside child talking... realistically speaking, the adult side (and my wife) are telling me to shut up and stay calm cause we are not buying/trading squat!!
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-04-2018, 06:23 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
Smile

I think I’d rather have your super custom AI with the additional batteries, solar panels etc etc etc et al, than a new one anyway!
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:39 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
Every year the AI will get better and better...

Also, every year model AI will have room for user improvements as Airstream doesn't spend much time really using their products. They can't afford to for the price they're charging.

Everything is a compromise.

We're really enjoying our AI. It drives like a dream, for a large narrow and long box, and it's easy to manage. On the minus side, it takes a lot of coordinating for 2 people to get things done inside. It's like luxury camping. For our first RV, we're very happy with her.

I was also contemplating about a 4x4 with air suspension, but now that I went over some bumpy dirt roads, very slowly, I can't imagine doing any 4x4 with such a vehicle. I'm glad I didn't wait because we would have lost all the fun experiences from this trip. Who really knows what happens tomorrow.

Regarding the generator autostart, the Firefly AI's can have it easily added with new code for few hundreds. Maybe we can reduce the price by getting a group of us to order it as a group. That's easy money for the Firefly people...

Any takers?
Old 05-06-2018, 12:24 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by busb2 View Post
For self leveling, it might be nice but I have only used my blocks once in nine years. Now, the Air Suspension, I did not think I needed based on my ride experience on my first two AI’s, but I was totally surprised at the difference it makes in overall handling, especially in curvy mountain roads
Not so much the leveling that I appreciate with my E&P Hydraulic levelers, but the fact that rig is not sitting on its suspension, even if slab is perfectly level. It does not move at all when wife and grandson are jostling around inside. I sometimes get a bit quezzy when lying down in a stationary vehicle and it moves sideways. But this one is solid provided it is sitting on firm surface. I also use it when I know I wont use AI for awhile to offload the tires.

We went through Virgin River gorge on the way to St. George UT this weekend. I was so glad for the VB Air. Drove like my smaller minivan through those 55mph posted curves while doing 65.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:59 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
I was also contemplating about a 4x4 with air suspension, but now that I went over some bumpy dirt roads, very slowly, I can't imagine doing any 4x4 with such a vehicle. ...
+1.

I'm still waiting to see photographic evidence of those incursions that 4x4 Interstate owners were able to accomplish that the rest of us cannot.

I'm not saying that such evidence will not or does not exist - I'm just saying I'm still waiting for it.

Traction be danged, because there's still the massive issue of departure and break-over angle in particular. Many of the roads that demand 4x4 capability simultaneously demand better clearance and lower CG than any Interstate is capable of providing.

The only justification for 4x4 that I buy on its face is the scenario of traveling in foul weather, snow in mountain passes, that kind of thing.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:20 AM   #33

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
...The only justification for 4x4 that I buy on its face is the scenario of traveling in foul weather, snow in mountain passes, that kind of thing.
Only reason why I wanted 4x4... In my case, it was never meant for off-roading.
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-06-2018, 08:32 AM   #34

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Not so much the leveling that I appreciate with my E&P Hydraulic levelers, but the fact that rig is not sitting on its suspension, even if slab is perfectly level. It does not move at all when wife and grandson are jostling around inside. I sometimes get a bit quezzy when lying down in a stationary vehicle and it moves sideways. But this one is solid provided it is sitting on firm surface. I also use it when I know I wont use AI for awhile to offload the tires.

We went through Virgin River gorge on the way to St. George UT this weekend. I was so glad for the VB Air. Drove like my smaller minivan through those 55mph posted curves while doing 65.
But what would I do with the sign?

Really looking forward to having that option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3F0C3F86-6350-4CC6-BFEB-E7A130514622.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	310241  
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Only reason why I wanted 4x4... In my case, it was never meant for off-roading.
Modern traction control and antilock brakes makes 4x4 less of an advantage than it used to be. And if you’re traveling in a lot of snow and ice, you’re either doing it wrong or Mt. Saint Helens just erupted.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #36
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Maybe we can reduce the price by getting a group of us to order it as a group. That's easy money for the Firefly people...

Any takers?
If Firefly folks still talking only a few hundred $ for recode, I am in.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:16 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
Quote:
If Firefly folks still talking only a few hundred $ for recode, I am in.
I will contact the Firefly people again to see how we can get a price reduction for the generator autostart feature. They originally quoted me $450.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:27 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
I will contact the Firefly people again to see how we can get a price reduction for the generator autostart feature. They originally quoted me $450.
Since the rumor mill indicated '19's can be ordered with this feature already enabled, might it be worth while to contact your Airstream dealer and see if they can enable it for less (or *cough* free *cough*)......
Old 05-07-2018, 03:41 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
The Firefly people replied back that there's no group purchase discount unless we share the same screen...

I guess next step is to ask Airstream for free upgrade but I have no idea how long it will take them to reply.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:39 PM   #40
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
The Firefly people replied back that there's no group purchase discount unless we share the same screen...

I guess next step is to ask Airstream for free upgrade but I have no idea how long it will take them to reply.
Too bad. I was hoping they wouldn't say that. If it was under $300 it would have been worth it for me to get, even though I may never use it. But not $450 for a re-code that triggers off of the same code path that turns the a/c or vent on at temp set points. They already have the code, since the bigger coaches with Firefly have AGS. Oh, well.