Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2018, 08:20 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Ocala , Florida
General Newbie Questions

I have a 2014 AI 3500 EXT and have some basic questions. My first question is a storage question. I keep it parked at my house under roof and I have it plugged in (30 amp) with the ac set at 80. I live in FL it's hot so I thought it would help to not heat up the inside so much. Should I turn the battery disconnect off while its plugged in at home and not in use? Also, should I turn the ref off or way down while not in use at home with the shore line plugged in? Driving questions. While driving my understanding is the house battery's will be charged enough to keep the ref running but once you stop, the house battery's will only keep ref going a few hours. Is this correct? Also, you dont have to turn on the inverter while driving to do this do you? My understanding is the inverter works the outlets marked with blue for small items like cell ph charging etc. Solar question. Do you turn on the solar panel or is always charging the house battery's when it can? Thanks for helping me in advance.
Xterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xterra View Post
I have a 2014 AI 3500 EXT and have some basic questions. My first question is a storage question. I keep it parked at my house under roof and I have it plugged in (30 amp) with the ac set at 80. I live in FL it's hot so I thought it would help to not heat up the inside so much. Should I turn the battery disconnect off while its plugged in at home and not in use?
No, leave it connected if you are plugged in to shore power. Honestly, I wouldn't leave it set at 80F. If it were me, if it's under a roof, I wouldn't worry about it and wold not leave the AC on unless you plan on using it and want to cool it down. The heat won't hurt it. I leave mine outside without a roof, and it gets very hot. Haven't had an issue in 7 years. I do cool it down when we plan on a trip to load it.

Quote:
Driving questions. While driving my understanding is the house battery's will be charged enough to keep the ref running but once you stop, the house battery's will only keep ref going a few hours. Is this correct?
No. But how long it will run depends on which model refrigerator you have and the condition of the house batteries. I have a smaller one-it will run about a good 18 hours or more-and I still have the original 80amp hour twin battery setup that came with the rig when I bought it in 2011.

Quote:
Also, you dont have to turn on the inverter while driving to do this do you? My understanding is the inverter works the outlets marked with blue for small items like cell ph charging etc.
Correct. You don't need the inverter unless you want to use the 120ac outlets or TV while on battery power only.

Quote:
Solar question. Do you turn on the solar panel or is always charging the house battery's when it can? Thanks for helping me in advance.
Unfortunately, the cheap solar controller Airstream uses doesn't do much in my opinion. I guess it's better than nothing, but not by much. You don't have to turn it on. My recommendation is to replace that thing asap with a MPPT controller such as the Victron 100/30. Then you actually will be getting some real charge out of the panels.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:17 AM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The AC units (and fridges) on RV's are not designed to last forever. There are only just so many running hours designed into them. How many that is .... who knows. Running 24/7/365 is likely to get you into trouble within a few years. ( = out of warranty, but still way to early).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The AC units (and fridges) on RV's are not designed to last forever. There are only just so many running hours designed into them. How many that is .... who knows. Running 24/7/365 is likely to get you into trouble within a few years. ( = out of warranty, but still way to early).

Bob
True, I forgot to mention that. Turn the fridge off and leave the door cracked open when in storage. If you are not going to use it for a while, I would also recommend a few mouse traps under the hood and inside to catch any wanting a sleepover. They can get in and do a lot of damage if you don't take some precautions.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ditto on not leaving your AC and frig running all the time.

Open some windows for ventilation and turn everything including the inverter off.

Maggie
Old 10-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Ocala , Florida
Thanks for your help! I have the smaller ref in mine. Last week I drove 8 hrs stayed 1 night at a campground (ref did great) but then the next 2 nights after a short drive I stayed at a hotel. Thankfully my hotel room had a small ref so I moved everything in it. My next 2 nights were campgrounds so I was plugged in. I've never had to think of refrigerator management haha
Xterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:46 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Camas , Washington
I would also leave the MaxxFan rooftop open and set it to turn on Auto if interior temp reaches 87 degrees. One device I found useful to keep track of battery status is a $35 Bluetooth battery monitor that keeps continuous data on voltage that you can click on your smartphone from up to 15 feet outside of the RV, very handy for me as I do drive by checking of the parked RV in the driveway from my other cars once in a while.
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:47 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Camas , Washington
Oops, the device link here...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_157CA63D9F9D-1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	326264
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote