Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2021, 02:31 PM   #1

Minneapolis , Minnesota
Fusion system screeching noise and rear speakers blown

Hello Airstream community,

I've tried to research this issue with no luck and hoping that somebody can point me in the right direction. We have a 2017 AI Grand Tourer purchased last year around May/June. Right in the beginning of our ownership, my wife and I didn't really use the radio/audio system - and a few times that we did use it, we didn't really notice that the sounds was a little "off" and quieter than it should be. During this whole time - for the first 5-7000 miles of usage, the Fusion system would stay on with no issues.

At the end of the summer during our bigger trip, we noticed that rear speakers - especially passenger side - would get really warm. No sound would come out of them either. The front speakers would also not get as loud.

Then, all of the sudden, the Fusion system started making this very loud screeching noise. We have to keep the system off at all times now. It doesn't matter what option the system is on - radio, GPS, SD Card - the sound stays on and is very loud. It also does not go down with simply turning the sound down. Or moving the fader. The system has to be off in order for it to stop making the noise.

I attached dropbox link to the make/model of the Fusion system and a short video of the sound.

Did anyone have this issue with their systems? Any suggestions tips of what the issue might be before we start replacing the whole Fusion unit?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nub1iyrfva..._6627.MOV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3o3b7ttup1..._6621.jpg?dl=0

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6621.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	399.1 KB
ID:	395842  
naissurmk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:47 AM   #2
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Replace the radio head, the speakers, the subwoofer, and add an amplifier. That's what we did, via purchase and installation with a professional car / boat audio / video upgrade place in the Orlando area. They did a fantastic job. We now have a Pioneer with a 9" floating screen, terrific sound, and no troubles in the radio department. GPS function comes from our phones via AirPlay.

This is the company we used. (To be absolutely clear, I have zero commercial interest in this company. I'm just a happy customer.)
https://www.orlandocustomaudio.com/

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:07 PM   #3

Minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Replace the radio head, the speakers, the subwoofer, and add an amplifier. That's what we did, via purchase and installation with a professional car / boat audio / video upgrade place in the Orlando area. They did a fantastic job. We now have a Pioneer with a 9" floating screen, terrific sound, and no troubles in the radio department. GPS function comes from our phones via AirPlay.

This is the company we used. (To be absolutely clear, I have zero commercial interest in this company. I'm just a happy customer.)
https://www.orlandocustomaudio.com/
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like an expensive solution.. Would like to see if there is a more economical way to solve this before going the route of replacing everything.. We don't particularly care about improving the sound quality - just want the system to work.. Definitely didn't expect this from an Airstream built unit that is a few years old and barely 20K miles on it..

Did you have similar issue with your system before you replaced everything? Were you not able to trace the problem to a particular component of the audio system?

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2021, 06:33 AM   #4

Our issues were that we hated the original Kenwood radio and the sound quality. I'm sure you can improve the situation for less, but if it were me (I'm not very handy), I would take it to a professional automotive radio shop to get a diagnosis.

Old 05-25-2021, 08:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I had this problem and the speaker eventually blew completely. It was related to the fusion . It was replaced and Mercedes had to replace front speakers. Airstream replaced the fusion and reimbursed me for the
Mercedes repair
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:16 PM   #6

Minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
I had this problem and the speaker eventually blew completely. It was related to the fusion . It was replaced and Mercedes had to replace front speakers. Airstream replaced the fusion and reimbursed me for the
Mercedes repair
Thanks for sharing your experience.. I assume yours was still under warranty at the time of replacement?

I reached out to Fusion and even though I expected them not to stand behind their product and brushing me off with the warranty excuse, I was surprised when Fusion rep recommended a Kenwood unit as a good option for replacement.. See below:

Thank you for contacting FUSION USA!

Unfortunately, your 801 unit will need to be replaced. I would work with your dealer to find a replacement option that's best for you! Your dealer may be able to get you equipped with one of our new VIEO systems if you request it from them. Kenwood systems are also equipped with Garmin Maps, so that's a great option as well!

Please let me know if you have any further questions!
Old 05-25-2021, 07:17 PM   #7

Minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Our issues were that we hated the original Kenwood radio and the sound quality. I'm sure you can improve the situation for less, but if it were me (I'm not very handy), I would take it to a professional automotive radio shop to get a diagnosis.
Thanks.. Sounds like we would need to replace the Fusion unit..
Old 05-26-2021, 04:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by naissurmk2 View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience.. I assume yours was still under warranty at the time of replacement?

I reached out to Fusion and even though I expected them not to stand behind their product and brushing me off with the warranty excuse, I was surprised when Fusion rep recommended a Kenwood unit as a good option for replacement.. See below:

Thank you for contacting FUSION USA!

Unfortunately, your 801 unit will need to be replaced. I would work with your dealer to find a replacement option that's best for you! Your dealer may be able to get you equipped with one of our new VIEO systems if you request it from them. Kenwood systems are also equipped with Garmin Maps, so that's a great option as well!

Please let me know if you have any further questions!
Thanks for this. I was going to call Garmin because, even tho mine was replaced, it started doing similar things on my most recent trip...broken English and rebooting mid trip. Thats what the first one did before shorting out the speakers. I was still under warranty. My warranty is now over but I had Airstream document that I'm still having problems. I will look into the other model. I don't feel I can rely on the current one when it reboots in the middle of a trip. I rely on my phone for GPS, but then I get the constant warning from the fusion....recreational accessibility unknown!
Old 05-26-2021, 08:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by naissurmk2 View Post
Thanks.. Sounds like we would need to replace the Fusion unit..

Yup. I still recommend something other than a Kenwood. If you really want a "built-in" GPS instead of using your phone, maybe go with a secondary Garmin RV unit?

Old 07-24-2021, 09:01 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Prescott , Arizona
Cool Fusion screeching

We have a Mecedes chassis Coachmen Galleria 24FL and it started doing the same thing. Opened a ticket with Garmin(MFG of Fusion) and the tech recommended updating the software version and VIM to current. After doing this the squealing stopped for a few days, but now is back. Back to square one with Garmin tech, I suppose. Please let me know if you have progress...

Thanks,

Bobby
walstibsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by walstibsf View Post
We have a Mecedes chassis Coachmen Galleria 24FL and it started doing the same thing. Opened a ticket with Garmin(MFG of Fusion) and the tech recommended updating the software version and VIM to current. After doing this the squealing stopped for a few days, but now is back. Back to square one with Garmin tech, I suppose. Please let me know if you have progress...

Thanks,

Bobby

I updated software at first too....it really does not make sense...why would the software cause screeching and broken speech? I think the problem is in how it connects or interacts with speaker system...it eventually totally fried the front speakers. Another trip coming up in a few days, will see how it does. I don't rely on it, but use it.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:49 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Prescott , Arizona
RE: Screeching noise from speakers

Had somewhat of a breakthrough yesterday. After realizing the squealing was mainly coming from the rear speakers, I removed the rear speakers. I found that the speaker in the left rear position had been installed with the magnet pressing against the speaker wires. Over time, apparently, it shorted the wires against the magnet. This speaker was very hot when I removed it. Squeal gone with the rear speakers out of the circuit. Front work fine. I am planning on creating new pigtails for the rear and then we'll see what conditions prevail. Thank you, Coachmen...lol
walstibsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:53 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Frisco , Texas
Quote:
Had somewhat of a breakthrough yesterday. After realizing the squealing was mainly coming from the rear speakers, I removed the rear speakers. I found that the speaker in the left rear position had been installed with the magnet pressing against the speaker wires. Over time, apparently, it shorted the wires against the magnet. This speaker was very hot when I removed it. Squeal gone with the rear speakers out of the circuit. Front work fine. I am planning on creating new pigtails for the rear and then we'll see what conditions prevail. Thank you, Coachmen...lol
Our Fusion started this noise on our last trip with hardly any music sound even near full volume. I discovered the rear Fusion speakers partially melted on top where the magnets are located and they smelled like burning electrical components. There was no apparent speaker wire contacts that I could see to cause a shorting condition. After removing the speaker leads and both speakers my noise is gone and the front speakers have full volume control. I ordered a pair of inexpensive Pioneer speakers to replace them to see if all functions properly with those connected. Have to wonder if the issue here is the Fusion speaker rather than the Fusion head unit.
ADVPHOTOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 12:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVPHOTOG View Post
Our Fusion started this noise on our last trip with hardly any music sound even near full volume. I discovered the rear Fusion speakers partially melted on top where the magnets are located and they smelled like burning electrical components. There was no apparent speaker wire contacts that I could see to cause a shorting condition. After removing the speaker leads and both speakers my noise is gone and the front speakers have full volume control. I ordered a pair of inexpensive Pioneer speakers to replace them to see if all functions properly with those connected. Have to wonder if the issue here is the Fusion speaker rather than the Fusion head unit.
I had similar problem and it destroyed all speakers. It was the Fusion. So Airstream replaced Fusion and rear speakers. Front speakers were replaced by Mercedes and Airstream reimbursed me. The new Fusion was having similar problems...it starts with "broken English" in navigation and currently my Fusion won't even turn on...crappy system.
Old 06-17-2022, 04:14 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gallatin Gateway , Montana
Quote:
Did you ever install the pigtails for the Fusion RV-1801 rear speaker wires and, if so, is all working well now with the "no rear speakers/pigtail" configuration? Reason I'm asking is that my rear driver speaker "fried" - twice and I'm now running with my third driver side rear speaker; however, it is running hot so I'm not using the radio. I'd like to simply disconnect the rear speakers, install pigtails and be on my way but before I do so I'd like to know if that solution is working well for you? Thank you.
bob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:03 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Madison , WISCONSIN
Just saw this thread, I had posted a message but got no replies, so, I'm glad to see that this was not a unique problem. Below is what I essentially had posted.

On our last trip, static (sounds like arcing) started coming out of the front speakers. Seems to be the right side. It is there regardless of the audio source, phone included. It is loud and makes the audio system unusable.

I'm not sure who is responsible for the speakers, is it Sprinter or is it Airstream? I'm going in next month for a "service B" appointment at my MB Sprinter dealer and I can ask them but thought I would check here to see if anyone else has had this experience.

I can also check with a car audio store who might be able to diagnose whether it is a speaker, speaker wire, or radio problem.

So, any experience or insight would be helpful. See my signature to the left for make and model year.
PS, not really looking to upgrade to get better sound, just want the radio to work. The GPS continues to work well, and I believe all the firmware and software is up to date.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:32 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
In my situation, I was still in warranty. The problem was caused by the fusion system wiring (Airstream) and the breaker. My speakers all blew due to this....very loud screech, boom, no sound. Airstream (in Jackson center) replaced my fusion, corrected the wiring and replaced the back speakers. The front speakers are Mercedes. So Airstream had me go to Mercedes for the repair, pay for it ($600+) and submit it back to Airstream for reimbursement. Whole process took several months but no problems since.

If yours is due to wiring, and speakers not totally blown, you may be OK by just getting wiring corrected. But I don't know how you can determine that it's the wiring...don't know if Mercedes would check that since it was done by Airstream.

Hope this response is helpful.