Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2019, 08:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Cedarburg , CO
Fusion not recognizing USB or iPod

I know this has been discussed before, and that the USB for the Fusion should only be used for updating purposes, however please give me your input on the following:

I have connected my iPhone, my iPod and a USB stick to the USB port for the Fusion. In all cases the Fusion indicates that nothing is attached. My dealer is telling me that I need to be on shore power (min 30A), in order for the USB to work. Does this sound correct?

In addition when I insert the USB cord or stick into the USB port, it feels like it is not inserting to the right depth. Has anyone had issues with the USB port being blocked/bad, such that the connection is not made?

Any other advice on using the USB port to connect either phone or iPod? Again my dealer is indicating that the use of the Fusion dedicated USB port should be possible with none of the issues that have been stated in prior posts. I am curious to see if he is correct! Thanks!
pendergastjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #2
Prof. of Pending Projects

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendergastjm View Post
I know this has been discussed before, and that the USB for the Fusion should only be used for updating purposes, however please give me your input on the following:

I have connected my iPhone, my iPod and a USB stick to the USB port for the Fusion. In all cases the Fusion indicates that nothing is attached. My dealer is telling me that I need to be on shore power (min 30A), in order for the USB to work. Does this sound correct?

In addition when I insert the USB cord or stick into the USB port, it feels like it is not inserting to the right depth. Has anyone had issues with the USB port being blocked/bad, such that the connection is not made?

Any other advice on using the USB port to connect either phone or iPod? Again my dealer is indicating that the use of the Fusion dedicated USB port should be possible with none of the issues that have been stated in prior posts. I am curious to see if he is correct! Thanks!
Dealer comments sound like BS to me...

But really, don't even bother with that USB port. Does not even work well for updates, best to use the microSD card for that... also, when something is connected to the USB, it will make the Fusion reboot and act weird. I just do not even bother and prefer to use it with the phone connected via Bluetooth...

My two cents...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:27 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Cedarburg , CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Dealer comments sound like BS to me...

But really, don't even bother with that USB port. Does not even work well for updates, best to use the microSD card for that... also, when something is connected to the USB, it will make the Fusion reboot and act weird. I just do not even bother and prefer to use it with the phone connected via Bluetooth...

My two cents...
Yeah, that's what I thought would be the guidance. Kind of surprising that in this day and age, Airstream can't get a simple USB connection to work. Thanks for your input!
pendergastjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:14 AM   #4
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
In all cases the Fusion indicates that nothing is attached. My dealer is telling me that I need to be on shore power (min 30A), in order for the USB to work. Does this sound correct?

In addition when I insert the USB cord or stick into the USB port, it feels like it is not inserting to the right depth.
PENDERGASTJM - First of all, sorry for the troubles. In my unit, it works on updates, but using it for "other purposes" will cause it to act funny down the road. It always indicates when I have something connected. It seems you already know this but are just trying to figure out why it is not working. As WACHUKO said, dealer is giving you BS. It has nothing to do with shore power. Regarding "not inserting at right depth" - my unit does feel a bit more restrictive compared to most other usb ports. I really have to push the stick/cable down hard & make sure it is perfectly perpendicular for it to engage. Almost feels the inner spring tabs are much stouter. If you feel you have done this already, maybe try to remove the console trim and access the wiring bundle leading to the head unit. You can disconnect the usb from there and try plugging in a test usb extension to see if a different one works. Good luck.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:44 AM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
My Fusion has never detected the USB stick. I traced and metered all of the cables (about 6' of cable to go 6") and the connections are good. Trouble must be inside the Fusion.

Strange connector on rear of Fusion.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:08 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:

Agree, BS from dealer.
My iPhone works when plugged into the USB port, no problem whatsoever.

I have the same feeling when I plug anything into that port, it works but I have never had this when any other device.

I have used it to update the system as well and it has worked for me a couple of times. So he may be correct on that but the shore-power thing tells me he is not to be relied upon.