Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 09:45 AM   #61
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Also, be sure to register your Fusion w/ Garmin during the Garmin Express setup process. This might allow the app to verify your Fusion against a database and produce the correct unlock code. In the past Garmin had a similar process to unlock maps for handheld devices, so maybe now that they've apparently taken over the Fusion update software, they've incorporated some of their security and validation tech so folks don't rip off their maps. Just guessing, but it might be worth a shot....
But that is why you have to create the card in the Fusion unit. Garmin will not recognize the card any other way. Ask me how I know!! I had not read the instructions well and was wondering why the Garmin Express was not recognizing the Micro SD car I had inserted in the computer...

I got that "unable to lock..." once... formatted the car, created the card again in the Fusion, loaded the maps again in the Garmin Express app... and everything worked.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Franklin County , Missouri
Does anyone have an idea of the file sizes for the updates? I only have Verizon Wireless for my internet connection at home so I don't want to download many gigabytes of files. Thanks
AI927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:54 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Also, be sure to register your Fusion w/ Garmin during the Garmin Express setup process. This might allow the app to verify your Fusion against a database and produce the correct unlock code. In the past Garmin had a similar process to unlock maps for handheld devices, so maybe now that they've apparently taken over the Fusion update software, they've incorporated some of their security and validation tech so folks don't rip off their maps. Just guessing, but it might be worth a shot....
I've tried reformatting the memory card and I registered the unit with Garmin. No change... Their install app has some bugs.

I'll be back to the AI next week and I'll try again. Hopefully, Garmin will reply by then or I'll call them.
Boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:56 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
But that is why you have to create the card in the Fusion unit. Garmin will not recognize the card any other way. Ask me how I know!! [emoji38] I had not read the instructions well and was wondering why the Garmin Express was not recognizing the Micro SD car I had inserted in the computer...

I got that "unable to lock..." once... formatted the car, created the card again in the Fusion, loaded the maps again in the Garmin Express app... and everything worked.
I did that, twice, but no luck. I'll try again next week when I get back.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:11 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI927 View Post
Does anyone have an idea of the file sizes for the updates? I only have Verizon Wireless for my internet connection at home so I don't want to download many gigabytes of files. Thanks
About 4.5GB total. It looks like about 2.8GB of that is map data. The rest is the system update, POI data, and voice data.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

Thanks FlyFishinRVr. That is more than I want to do on my mobile plan. Time to head to free WIFI location.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:16 PM   #67
1 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
5 new updates posted on Garmin Express this afternoon.
Windchaser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:43 PM   #68
Prof. of Pending Projects

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchaser01 View Post
5 new updates posted on Garmin Express this afternoon.

!!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:58 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
WACHUKO - that makes it to a minimum of 4.0 . Told you you should've pushed for 4.7
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:41 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Western , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom23 View Post
Just FYI, I tried the 2 step process (first firmware and then maps). The v3.5 firmware got updated but the headunit says it can't unlock the maps... I got the maps 2-3 times from the computer (successfully, using Garmin Express) but still the headunit can't unlock them.
I informed Garmin but no reply yet. The upgrade process has some way to go still....
I'm in the same Boat. Updated to v3.5, but will not unlock maps. I talked with Garmin support on Monday, May 20, 2018 for several hours. They finally said "Let us work on this and we will call you back." It is now Wednesday night, no response.

I see a message where new updates are posted today. I will try those this weekend.
TN Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:51 PM   #71
2 Rivet Member

Updated mine today. While doing the maps it said it failed but it states I have 2018 version so I guess it worked. Thanks to all for the details on how to do this.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:26 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI927 View Post
Updated mine today. While doing the maps it said it failed but it states I have 2018 version so I guess it worked. Thanks to all for the details on how to do this.
Same thing happened to me. Likewise everything seems to be updated. Glad to see that it isn't dead after-all.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:27 PM   #73
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom23 View Post
I did that, twice, but no luck. I'll try again next week when I get back.
I'm in the same boat. "Cannot unlock maps". So frustrating!! Still have 2016 maps in the middle of 2018 and leaving tomorrow for long trip.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:12 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I just returned from 3500 mile trip. I could not rely on my fusion and carried another garmin. The fusion gets "confused" when I stop for gas and can't recalculate. Then in the middle of travelling it starts doing this circle looping thing and just continually says stay on current road until I start it over. My thoughts were defective and was going to discuss at service department...and she speaks in broken english like there's a short. Haven't done upgrade....is it worth trying for these issues?
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:31 PM   #75
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
I just returned from 3500 mile trip. I could not rely on my fusion and carried another garmin. The fusion gets "confused" when I stop for gas and can't recalculate. Then in the middle of travelling it starts doing this circle looping thing and just continually says stay on current road until I start it over. My thoughts were defective and was going to discuss at service department...and she speaks in broken english like there's a short. Haven't done upgrade....is it worth trying for these issues?
It's worth a try to update the software - it may help. Although in my experience so far, newer software versions have done little to remove the bugs I've experienced.

I just e-mailed Fusion about the locked maps update problem - will see if they respond. I tried everything to get it to work and wasted over 2 hours tonight... and tomorrow yet again I'll be navigating with my iPhone because my maps are at this point not reliable.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #76
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Fusion resuscitation tricks

I've found two tricks that help lockup states on my version.:

1) GPS gets confused and can't find satellites or current van position ("Searching"): Go to nav setup and put the unit in demo mode (where it doesn't track satellites). Then put back in normal mode. This seems to unstick the searching mode and it is able to locate itself.

2) GPS screen locks up when coming to a stop; screen locked until van moves again: I found that this happens when turn signals are engaged. I.e. I turn on the right-turn signal pulling over to the side of the road while simultaneously touching the screen for information. Screen locks up. If I turn off the turn signal, screen returns to normal.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:02 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
I've found two tricks that help lockup states on my version.:
OK, I am impressed, but not with the 2 tricks per se - but the amount of tracking down the different scenarios where certain things are happening and correlate 1-with-A and 2-with-B, to the point where you found workarounds. Not difficult to do in a static bench environment, but very hard when you driving at same time. Heck, I can't even figure out the fast "blip" Fusion squeeks out every so often out of the blue coz by that time, anything on screen that may help is gone I just gave up.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:57 AM   #78
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
I'm in the same boat. "Cannot unlock maps". So frustrating!! Still have 2016 maps in the middle of 2018 and leaving tomorrow for long trip.
Same as well... 2017 AI. The 3.5 update worked just as Wachuku said it would. But nothing seems to get me past the "Cannot unlock maps".

I have re-formatted the USB from the PC, then took it back to the AI to create card. I have tried "creating card" on top of one that was already created. I turned off all the power. I went through the Fusion setup process again. I have re-downloaded from the Garmin Express several times. I have pulled the USB out and put it back in several times.

Map still stuck at 2016.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:12 AM   #79
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
After getting the "can not unlock maps" message several times previously, my Fusion finally updated to the 2018 maps.

Here is what I did, as it might have made a difference on my 2018 AI GT TB:

1. I prepared the card on the Fusion before I left for a week long business trip.

2. The AI was stored with the House Batteries OFF and the Chassis battery disconnected (by the driver accelerator pedal).

3. On 5/29, I opened Garmin Express and downloaded the maps on the card again.

4. I went back to the AI turned ON both batteries and inserted the card while the Fusion had finished booting up and playing music. The Fusion recognized the updated maps and loaded them.

I am not sure if something that I did above affected the successful load of the new maps or if Garmin fixed something on their side. If Garmin fixed their side, it means everyone can update now. Otherwise, maybe the batteries disconnect might have made a difference.

I hope it helps someone.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:30 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
Unlock Maps... nope

Tried again today with different USB drive. Still stuck on the unlock maps. I am sure I have a SD card around somewhere that I could try.

Tried the steps above but same result for me.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote