Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #41
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time RV View Post
Upgrade inoperable. We down loaded the 3.1 upgrade from Fusion. Plugged into unit and nothing happened. No screen with installation instructions. Tried the download three times. Each attempt at installation was a nonstarter.
Did you watch this video?

Jump to 7:48

You should only have the three folders in the USB drive, nothing else...

And yes... what Gary said... posts crossed...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' International
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
College Station , Texas
No Joy

Watched the video.

Reformatted USB and downloaded the update again.

Two attempts and No Joy.

It did however write a file named Lost.Dir on the USB.
1st time RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:03 PM   #43

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Watched the video.

Reformatted USB and downloaded the update again.

Two attempts and No Joy.

It did however write a file named Lost.Dir on the USB.
Can you elaborate... downloaded the update again... was the download a 279 MB zip file (285,484 KB) ?

It seems install instructions have changed from that of the video... so apologies for misguiding you with the video...

First unzip all the file... this will create a folder with the name RV-IN801-V3_10_Customer_Update

Notice that you will have a folder named Vim_Update and three files as seen in the photo below:

Inside the Vim_Update folder you will have three files:

Installation Instructions

Note: Upgrading you unit will require a SD card or USB flash drive with at least 500Mb of free space.

The whole updating process includes two parts, updating VIM and updating system.

Updating VIM:

Step 1: Create a folder named “Garmin” under root directory of your SD card or USB Flash(case sensitive).

Step 2: Create a folder named “Update” under “Garmin” that you created on Step1(Case sensitive).

Step 3: Copy all three files under “Vim_Update” into “Garmin\Update\” on your SD card or USB flash;

Step4: Eject the SD card or USB flash from your computer and plug it into the headunit.

Step5: The headunit will pop up a dialog for updating, just follow the instruction on screen to finish updating;

After the updating finished, eject the SD card or USB flash form the headunit and start for updating system.

Updating System:

Step 1: Delete all files under “Garmin\Update\” on your SD card or USB flash;

Step 2: Copy “B248800.update” into “Garmin\Update\”;

Step 3: Eject the SD card or USB flash from your computer and plug it into the headunit.

Step 4: The headunit will pop up a dialog for updating, just follow the instruction on scree to finish updating.

After the headunit fully boot up, the whole updating has been finished

Note: During the update process, do not power down the headunit

I hope that is clear now and you can validate that the size of the file downloaded is correct. That you are decompressing all files and sub-folders as well...

Keep us posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Update-1.JPG
Views:	564
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	300724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Update-3.JPG
Views:	577
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	300725  

Name:	Update-2.JPG
Views:	595
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	300727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Update-0.JPG
Views:	546
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	300728  

WBCCI #26769
Old 12-10-2017, 09:30 PM   #44

Orlando , Florida
Forgot to share the image of the files showing their size so that you can make sure those were decompressed correctly...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Update-4.JPG
Views:	560
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	300739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Update-5.JPG
Views:	556
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	300740  

WBCCI #26769
Old 12-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' International
College Station , Texas
Mystery Solved

The first segment of the Update is for the VIM. Apparently our system has the most up to date VIM and therefore no action was being taken when we installed the USB.

Today attempted software 3.10 update and all went smoothly.

Thanks for the help
1st time RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #46

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
The first segment of the Update is for the VIM. Apparently our system has the most up to date VIM and therefore no action was being taken when we installed the USB.

Today attempted software 3.10 update and all went smoothly.

Thanks for the help
Great that it finally worked!

This prompted me to getting two usb ready. Will check and update mine before heading out the dealer. One less thing to worry about.
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-15-2017, 03:41 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Western , Tennessee
Thanks for the how-to -notes. I updated my Fusion Audio today. No problems with update. The bluetooth android remote also worked.
TN Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:52 AM   #48

Orlando , Florida
Updated ours as well!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8C2D5F9F-8D6C-4EEE-B37E-290A8E9A23A6.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	300974   Click image for larger version

Name:	982C9031-AB92-41FF-B9B4-80249A3900EE.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	300975  

Name:	4FE913A8-7E58-4FEB-93CE-07EA502FF6C3.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	300976   Click image for larger version

Name:	E724F17D-D1A0-40F5-B4DF-52BEFA5C9859.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	300977  

WBCCI #26769
Old 12-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Has anyone tried this (beside me):

1) Turn Fusion WiFi and Bluetooth on
2) Connect iPhone to Fusion via Bluetooth
3) Turn WiFi Hotspot on with Phone
4) Connect Fusion to phone WiFi Hotspot
5) Use a Fusion internet app like YouTube

When I do the above, as the YouTube video is playing on the Fusion, the Fusion keeps reporting that the phone Bluetooth connection failed, then it reconnects, then fails again, on and on it goes.

I have the latest Fusion software/firmware and the latest version of iOS on an iPhone X.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:55 PM   #50

Orlando , Florida
Just in case someone searching comes across this thread... process to update the Fusion has changed. Garmin has made it easier to update both firmware and the maps.

The 2018 maps are out and it is a great time to update yours...

You will need either a Mini/Micro SD card or a USB flash drive with at least 16g memory with no info on it and a personal computer. This will be a 2 step process the first will be the software update and the second will be the map updates. The first step is to insert your SD with the prongs facing the drivers side, this will be on your stereo on the botton right hand corner of your stereo marked SD open the cover and you will see the slot, if you are using a USB flash drive there should be a USB port. Go to your home screen and select settings, then system, then scroll down to Update, then push on Create Card. Next go to Garmin.com and download Garmin Express. Here is the link:

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/express/

There is a video you can watch that will walk you threw Garmin Express before you down load it. Follow the prompts on Garmin Express, when down take the flash drive to the stereo and follow the prompts. Repeat the process for the Map updates.

You need to update all software first and then the Maps... you only update one at a time... I know, I bit of a pita... but still better than previous process.

So.. get a 16Gig micro SD card
Insert into Fusion SD slot
Navigate to System->Update->Create Card and press to create it...
Take the card back to your computer
Run Garmin Express
If first time, select add a device
Follow the prompts
You have to select the firmware update first...
Remove card from computer...
Insert card in Fusion and update firmware
Then do the create card all over again...
Select next software/firmware update
Rinse and repeat...
Once all other software is updated do the same for the maps
Back in the computer with Garmin Express select the maps...
Remove card from computer...
Insert card in Fusion and update maps

Have fun!

WBCCI #26769
Old 05-19-2018, 04:01 PM   #51

Orlando , Florida
And I want to thank WINDCHASER01 for sharing the above information via this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...on-180105.html
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Northern , California
FWIW, it looks like their process may have changed again. I created a uSD card with my Fusion (currently at v3.10) and put it into my tablet and ran Garmin Express. I added a device, it found my Fusion, and then proceeded to download EVERYTHING to the uSD card. It didn't give me any options to just do software/firmware or maps. It blasted the whole thing to the card. When I get a moment I'll head back to the van and see how much destruction this does. If it works as advertised, I'll be mightily impressed....
Old 05-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #53

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
FWIW, it looks like their process may have changed again. I created a uSD card with my Fusion (currently at v3.10) and put it into my tablet and ran Garmin Express. I added a device, it found my Fusion, and then proceeded to download EVERYTHING to the uSD card. It didn't give me any options to just do software/firmware or maps. It blasted the whole thing to the card. When I get a moment I'll head back to the van and see how much destruction this does. If it works as advertised, I'll be mightily impressed....
I made that mistake... you have to click on details... or something like that... it expands the list and there you can select them individually...
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-20-2018, 06:27 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I made that mistake... you have to click on details... or something like that... it expands the list and there you can select them individually...
Well....not exactly, as it turns out....

As I stated above, I didn't see an option for anything in Garmin Express so it just blasted the whole thing (software update plus maps) to my uSD card (16GB card I had laying around). When I took that back to the van, I powered on the Fusion, inserted the uSD card, it recognized it, saw the SW update, rebooted, and after it updated, lo and behold, I had v3.5. That's the good news. Bad(ish) news is it didn't update the maps.

Not to be thwarted, I KNEW the updated maps were on the uSD card, and since the Fusion only seems to scan the card when it's first inserted, I thought maybe now that the SW was up to v3.5, it might see the maps. So I took the card out, put it back in, and waited. Sure enough, after about a minute, it said it found updated maps and to reboot to install them. I did that, and waited....and waited....it's a big update. And it failed....at least it said it failed. When I looked at the map data, it was showing v2018.20, which is the latest and greatest, so it actually updated them!

Auto+ still doesn't work, but at least I'm up to SW v3.5 and the latest maps. Note that none of my jiggery pokery of taking the card out and putting it back in, etc., is documented anywhere by Garmin. They give you the impression that it just all gets done for you. To their credit, it's a HELL of a lot better than it was, so kuddos to them for that, and it gives me hope that with just a bit more work I think they will get it down to a "one and done" update process.

Progress.....
Old 05-20-2018, 06:49 PM   #55

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Great!

WBCCI #26769
Old 05-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #56
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Progress.....
+1 hope to try soon as I get back in town. Thanks to you & WACHUKO (& I forgot another) who tested this all out for us.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:20 PM   #57
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Naperville , Illinois
I want to confirm the installation procedures outlined by both WACHUKO and FLYFISHINRVr…Fusion/Garmin has finally simplified how we can update the FUSION RV-IN801 software and maps by using Garmin Express. Before you start, I noticed that the unit will recognize a “microSD hc1” card, but not a “microSDxc1” card.

I formatted the microSD card, logged into Garmin Express and downloaded the entire package. When I started updating the unit only software v3.5 was installed. Following FLYFISHINRVr experience, I rejected the card, restated the unit, re-inserted the card and the unit started updated the maps. I noticed that the unit takes a little time to respond, so don’t be in a hurry thinking that the unit/card did not “shake hands”.

I have been “regularly” corresponding with Fusion/Garmin since we took delivery of our 2018 AI in November 2017. Initially they acknowledge there were problems but could not help because of delays with merger integration. Earlier this year I received a Garmin 2018 map microSD card that would not boot. Then 2 weeks ago I received a call that Fusion/Garmin was in the process of finalizing the entire updating process onto Garmin Express.

The good news is that we can now drive with up-to-date RV maps and I am hopeful that v3.5 software will correct some of the issues posted on this and other related threads. I have provided Fusion/Garmin with links to this forum/topics and hopeful they will continue to monitor these discussions going forward. Finally I want to thank Fusion/Garmin for integrating RV-IN801 into Garmin Express and especially to my Fusion contact who has been extremely helpful in keeping me informed these past months.

A suggestion…since this is a very important topic that is currently “buried” in another thread would it be best to start a new thread informing everyone that the RV-IN801 can now be easily updated using Garmin Express?
Windchaser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:16 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchaser01 View Post
I want to confirm the installation procedures outlined by both WACHUKO and FLYFISHINRVr…Fusion/Garmin has finally simplified how we can update the FUSION RV-IN801 software and maps by using Garmin Express. Before you start, I noticed that the unit will recognize a “microSD hc1” card, but not a “microSDxc1” card.

I formatted the microSD card, logged into Garmin Express and downloaded the entire package. When I started updating the unit only software v3.5 was installed. Following FLYFISHINRVr experience, I rejected the card, restated the unit, re-inserted the card and the unit started updated the maps. I noticed that the unit takes a little time to respond, so don’t be in a hurry thinking that the unit/card did not “shake hands”.

I have been “regularly” corresponding with Fusion/Garmin since we took delivery of our 2018 AI in November 2017. Initially they acknowledge there were problems but could not help because of delays with merger integration. Earlier this year I received a Garmin 2018 map microSD card that would not boot. Then 2 weeks ago I received a call that Fusion/Garmin was in the process of finalizing the entire updating process onto Garmin Express.

The good news is that we can now drive with up-to-date RV maps and I am hopeful that v3.5 software will correct some of the issues posted on this and other related threads. I have provided Fusion/Garmin with links to this forum/topics and hopeful they will continue to monitor these discussions going forward. Finally I want to thank Fusion/Garmin for integrating RV-IN801 into Garmin Express and especially to my Fusion contact who has been extremely helpful in keeping me informed these past months.

A suggestion…since this is a very important topic that is currently “buried” in another thread would it be best to start a new thread informing everyone that the RV-IN801 can now be easily updated using Garmin Express?
Just FYI, I tried the 2 step process (first firmware and then maps). The v3.5 firmware got updated but the headunit says it can't unlock the maps... I got the maps 2-3 times from the computer (successfully, using Garmin Express) but still the headunit can't unlock them.
I informed Garmin but no reply yet. The upgrade process has some way to go still....
Boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #59
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Naperville , Illinois
It took me several tries to get the maps to load however I never got the error message you mentioned.

i can not remember which sequence worked for me, either by reinserting the card while the radio was still on or by turning off the RV>inserting the card>restarting the RV and have the radio boot off the card.

Have you tried reformatting the card before downloading the maps?
Windchaser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:15 AM   #60
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom23 View Post
Just FYI, I tried the 2 step process (first firmware and then maps). The v3.5 firmware got updated but the headunit says it can't unlock the maps... I got the maps 2-3 times from the computer (successfully, using Garmin Express) but still the headunit can't unlock them.
I informed Garmin but no reply yet. The upgrade process has some way to go still....

Also, be sure to register your Fusion w/ Garmin during the Garmin Express setup process. This might allow the app to verify your Fusion against a database and produce the correct unlock code. In the past Garmin had a similar process to unlock maps for handheld devices, so maybe now that they've apparently taken over the Fusion update software, they've incorporated some of their security and validation tech so folks don't rip off their maps. Just guessing, but it might be worth a shot....