Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
coal miner

2005 22' Interstate
Richmond , Kentucky
fuel line vibration

Just purchased an 2005 Interstate with 65k mile and had all the fluids changed,motor oil & filter, transmission fluid & filter, and engine air, and fuel filter. Since changing the fuel filter there has been a noticable sound due to the fuel line vibrating. I took it to the Mercedes dealer and they said it was due to the way the line was mounted to the vehicle frame and were not overly concerned, my question is this normal or is this due to fuel filter or fuel pump problems?
Thanks
Coal Miner
deepminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Welcome to the forum.

Not sure if it's normal but personally I'd want to do something to dampen the vibration. Vibration = movement = stress = breaking.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepminer View Post
Just purchased an 2005 Interstate with 65k mile and had all the fluids changed,motor oil & filter, transmission fluid & filter, and engine air, and fuel filter. Since changing the fuel filter there has been a noticable sound due to the fuel line vibrating. I took it to the Mercedes dealer and they said it was due to the way the line was mounted to the vehicle frame and were not overly concerned, my question is this normal or is this due to fuel filter or fuel pump problems?
Thanks
Coal Miner
It is not normal. If it vibrates now, and didn't vibrate before, then something changed.

Vibration— by itself— is ineascapable, as long as the fuel line is connected to the engine. The fuel line should be flexible enough to account for that movement. It's only when the vibration results in contact where contact isn't supposed to happen and the line is chafing that it's a problem.

Knowing exactly where the noise is coming from is the first step to fixing it. With the engine running, visually trace the fuel line from the tank to the engine. In order for the vibration to make a noise that you can notice over the sound of the engine, the fuel line has to be in "loose" contact with another part, probably the chassis. Find that point, and you can pad the fuel line with foam insulation taped in place over the line, or retighten a loose fuel line bracket, or whatever fix seems best to you.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Not sure what it takes to replace fuel filter but if it requires removing some attachment points then maybe they forgot to re-fasten one or more of them.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
coal miner

2005 22' Interstate
Richmond , Kentucky
Thanks for the advice,I'll try to tighten or insulate the fuel line clamps and let you know what happens, the vibration can be heard over the engine and will continue when the engine is turn off till the fuel pressure kicks of the pump which I assume is electric and in the tank.
Coal Miner
Old 09-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #6

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Thanks for the advice,I'll try to tighten or insulate the fuel line clamps and let you know what happens, the vibration can be heard over the engine and will continue when the engine is turn off till the fuel pressure kicks of the pump which I assume is electric and in the tank.
Coal Miner
Come to think of it, there's another possibility. When you open up the system to replace the fuel filter, you let air into the fuel lines. Did you bleed the diesel lines after changing the fuel filter, to get the air back out? If not, you may have air trapped in the system, causing the diesel-fuel equivalent of "water hammer". Before you ask, I have no clue how you would bleed the air out of a fuel line in a Sprinter.

This possibility occurred to me when you said the vibration is keyed to whether the pump is running, not keyed to whether the engine is running.

You probably have two fuel pumps, a low-pressure pump to get fuel from the tank to the engine, and a high-pressure pump for the fuel injection. If you have a "common rail" fuel injection (BlueTec) engine then you certainly have two separate fuel pumps. The low-pressure pump is most likely the one that would be causing the problem in that case.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
.....If you have a "common rail" fuel injection (BlueTec) engine .....
To avoid possible confusion, common rail does not necessarily = BlueTEC. My 2010 Interstate on a 2008 FL Sprinter has the OM642 common rail diesel 3.0L V6 (there is even a CRD abdge on the rear door) but is NOT BlueTEC, for which I am very thankful.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
To avoid possible confusion, common rail does not necessarily = BlueTEC. My 2010 Interstate on a 2008 FL Sprinter has the OM642 common rail diesel 3.0L V6 (there is even a CRD abdge on the rear door) but is NOT BlueTEC, for which I am very thankful.
You are of course correct. BlueTec is common rail, but not all common rail is BlueTec.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
coal miner

2005 22' Interstate
Richmond , Kentucky
the engine is the 2.7 5 cyl. inline and I,m sure it has rail injection but its not the newer bluetec rail that the v6,s have, dont know a lot about the rail injection system,but I have an ideal that I need to learn
Old 09-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Deepminer,

Depeding on the model year of your Sprinter (which probably has a different MY than Airstream gave the Interstate), you could have either the OM612 engine (MY 2000-2003), or the OM647 engine (MY 2004-2006). Both are 2.7L, inline 5 cyl. Common Rail Diesels. The HP and torque specs are the same for both. If you have them side by side, the most visible difference is the intake manifold. I don't know what the internal differences are.

If you really want to understand what your vehicle (the Sprinter) has, the options it was built with, etc. I suggest you subscribe to EPCnet where you can see the same parts information that MB uses specific to your vehicle VIN. The cost is $12/yr. Or, send me a PM with your Sprinter VIN (not the Airstream serial number) and I'll run a data card for you that will show the exact MB factory build options in detail. They you would have a very small sample of what you can get from EPCnet. You can subscribe to EPCnet at EPC-net Online

Remember, knowledge is power.

Good luck,
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
coal miner

2005 22' Interstate
Richmond , Kentucky
Thanks Wayne thats great info,I,ll take your advice and join and by the way my engine is in an 04 chassis,and 05 airstream build
Old 10-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Thanks Wayne thats great info,I,ll take your advice and join and by the way my engine is in an 04 chassis,and 05 airstream build
According to what I'm seeing that means you have the OM647 engine. Good luck with EPCnet. It isn't particularly intuitive but there is a LOT of information there. If you haven't already been there, Sprinter - Sprinter-Forum is a great resource for Sprinter help and information.

Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
coal miner

2005 22' Interstate
Richmond , Kentucky
I think the problem is cured,changed the rubber hoses on the fuel filter and the vibration is gone, just hear the sound of the electric fuel pump running
Old 10-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
That's good news. Were the old hoses hard?

Old 10-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #15
coal miner

2005 22' Interstate
Richmond , Kentucky
yes and diesel fuel was seeping out at the clamps
Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
yes and diesel fuel was seeping out at the clamps
And your dealer thought this was normal?

I don't know how your fuel filter is mounted, but most inline replacement filters come with new hoses. When you change the filter, you replace the old hose.

I realize that this doesn't apply to the more elaborate filter systems that commercial diesels use.

Still, I think I would be evaluating where this service was done.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #17
coal miner

2005 22' Interstate
Richmond , Kentucky
non oem filter, non mercedes dealer, sometimes you learn the hard way,but once you do it sticks with you.