Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Monroe , Washington
Front TV fell off, 2014.5 Interstate

The front TV in my 2014.5 Interstate became unattached. The van is a little over a year old. It's the TV mounted in front, overhead, angled down.

The metal bracket mounted to the Airstream is undamaged, but the TV tore loose from that and cannot be repaired. The screws pulled free from the TV and damaged the mounting holes on the TV. I've included pictures. It didn't loosen. Instead, the plastic of the TV tore apart at the screw mounts.

Is this happening to everyone? Am I going to have to replace this TV every year?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6361.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	245132   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6362.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	245133  

Name:	IMG_6365.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	245140  
coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Assuming no one tried to chin themselves using the TV, that seems unusual as the threaded inserts are molded in on most TVs. Since the plastic failed and the inserts didn't pull out, I'm guessing that it would take a lot of force to cause that kind of failure.

I would try epoxying (JB Weld) a thin (1/16") 2" X 2" piece of aluminum plate w/ a clearance hole for the stud w/ the insert attached on the back side of the plate to the TV. Not sure if it would hold but JB Weld is very good. Just be sure both surfaces are clean (lacquer thinner) and abraded to get good adherence.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by coder View Post
Is this happening to everyone? Am I going to have to replace this TV every year?
I think I can safely say that if it ever happened to anyone else, they didn't report it here on the Forums. Your problem is unique.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:54 PM   #4
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Looks like u r under warrenty.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #5

2012 Interstate Coach
With plastic it's harder to tell if a crack was pre-existing or if it's new than if it was metal (which will show oxidation at an old crack and bright shiny metal at a new break). But save all of the broken plastic pieces anyway, and examine them carefully— you may be able to tell if the plastic was already cracked or if it broke when the television fell.

If you try to fit the broken pieces back in place and they fit flat just like before, then the cracks were pre-existing.

If the breaks show evidence of bending before breaking (the engineering term for that kind of bending is "plastic deformation" and it's why the material is also called plastic), then they happened when the television fell, not before.

My guess is that you'll have some of each type, both pre-existing cracks that weakened the material and deformed breaks from when the television fell.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Never seen this problem. If you are still under warranty get Airstream to give you a new TV. It may have been damaged before you got it.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
From the pictures, it appears that force was exerted as if one was pulling it off the mounting brackets.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:29 PM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
What happened to the wires when the television crashed to the floor? The power, coax, and HDMI cables had to be yanked pretty hard as well.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:19 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' International
2010 22' Interstate
Carol Stream , Illinois
Could it be an attempted theft and the thieves got scared off before they completed the crime? Looks like it may have been forced.
John Millner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:58 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Monroe , Washington
The dealer ordered a replacement weeks ago.

The last time the van was in for service at the dealer, I asked them to look at was the TV, because 1) it was loose, and 2) had no sound on the right channel. They realized they couldn't tighten it (or fix the sound), and ordered a new one.

Perhaps in earlier years the TVs were smaller. The bottom of this 22" TV extends into the cabin. It includes a nameplate which drops 3/8" inch below the bottom edge of the TV. In the first couple of months of ownership, I whacked my head on the bottom of the TV more than once. More than a dozen times, in fact. OK, probably several dozen times.

Banging into the TV with my head may have contributed.

The bottom of that Samsung name tab is quite sharp. I've hit it hard enough to draw blood, more than once. (I tried to take a picture of the name tab on the bottom of the TV, but I don't think you can really tell from the picture how sharp the tab is.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6387.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	245417  
coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Ouch!!

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:22 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Framingham , Massachusetts
I noticed that in our 2015 AI, there was a crack at the back of the TV. I had it replaced under warranty not because of the crack but it was not turning on
gambita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:33 AM   #13

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by coder View Post
Perhaps in earlier years the TVs were smaller. The bottom of this 22" TV extends into the cabin. It includes a nameplate which drops 3/8" inch below the bottom edge of the TV. In the first couple of months of ownership, I whacked my head on the bottom of the TV more than once. More than a dozen times, in fact. OK, probably several dozen times.
My front TV is only 19" and does not extend below the bottom of the storage compartment to which it's attached. But even so, in early days of ownership I still bumped my head on the television, though it was only when I was getting into the cab, not getting out of it.

One fix for the head-bumping might be to do what I did, which was to place a clothes bar across between the clothes hooks on each side.
http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Automotiv...ds=clothes+bar
I still bump by head on the clothes bar from time to time, but it forces me to duck lower, and when I do bump my head, the clothes bar is round and not sharp. I'm sure you'll also find other uses for a clothes bar once you've got one in place.

Another fix might be to get some split foam pipe insulation and pad the bottom edge of the television.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:20 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambita View Post
I noticed that in our 2015 AI, there was a crack at the back of the TV. I had it replaced under warranty not because of the crack but it was not turning on
Was yours the same Samsung as the OP had? If so, maybe the Samsung model is not up to the bumps and jolts of going down the road in an RV.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:15 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Framingham , Massachusetts
Yes, 22" Samsung flat screen LED TV
gambita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:25 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
I had the same problem with the 19" Sansui in the front of my 2012. Initially my warranty claim was denied but after appealing it was grudgingly covered under warranty. They essentially accused me of causing the problem. I assure you no chin ups were done, and I never even hit my head on it. All I can say is that I did and do drive my bus around town a lot and the road conditions here are not very good ... it probably sees more stress than one that lives it's life on the open road. The rear TV had/has the same problem but had/has not completely failed ... they refused to replace that one. Surprisingly it's still hanging on here three years later. No problems with the new front TV they put in. Here's my original complaint thread ... no one fessed up to having a similar problem then either. Guess we are just lucky. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ing-94594.html
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:56 AM   #17

Currently Looking...
Pensacola , Florida
When I purchased my 2015 ASI-EXT used w 8400 miles, the front 22" Samsung tv plastic back plate had been damaged and the previous owner had two pieces of bailing wire securing the tv to the mount. The dealer ordered a new tv under warranty. Due to the delay in the new tv arriving, I removed the old tv from the mount, removed the plastic back plate and found all four mounting holes damaged (cracked with two screw pulled out). I went to Lowes and purchased from the special fasteners drawers two 1.5 inch plastic washers with associated plastic bolts (1/4 x 1) and a plastic wing nut. I sandwiched the "plastic tv back plate" between the two washers, drilled not and bigger 1/4" mounting holes in the back plate (secure but slightly flexible mounting) at all four attachment points. This solution provides for a less rigid mount but more flex with hitting the tv from either direction. At 6'-3" and often wearing a Crimson Tide baseball cap, I repeatedly bump the tv with the top of my head both entering and leaving the cab area. 12,000 miles later and a Pensacola FL trip to the northeast and back and now an almost completed circuit from Pensacola to the west coast and back 4 mounts are holding on the tv repair. BTW I am planning to replace the two 22" tv's with 19" tv's with built in dvd's. In my opinion the rear tv at 22" sticks too far into the aisle and is a real potential hazard for anyone slipping and falling, especially coming out of the head in the middle of the night while completing the final downwind-leg approaching a landing spot in the bed w/o hitting spouse and dogs!
Tompat42 is offline   Reply With Quote