Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
2021 25' Globetrotter
2007 Interstate
Little Rock , Arkansas
Front, side and rear door screens—Who needs them?

Here's a link to TheFitRV.com screen description and video that InterBlog referred to in another thread: https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/the...-a-camper-van/. Looks very interesting. Here's a quote from the article with a link to the company that manufactures them.
Quote:
First, go to http://rvcustomscreen.com. That will actually redirect you to rolef.ca, which is them. Now that they have a working pattern for a Travato, they can sell more of them, so fill out the contact form and they’ll get back to you. As I write this, the Travato G doors are not on the website yet, but they can make them. I imagine our screen door would also work for other Class B ProMaster conversions where you need to enter and exit through the rear of the sliding door opening. Beyond the Travato, they make the same style of screen for various Sprinters, Transits, old-school vans, you name it. They seem to have a pretty good library of templates.
I've been in touch with Roger Lefebvre of ROLEF.CA in Montreal, Canada. I have sent him some pictures of my rig to see if they already have, or could fabricate custom screens. They want a few more pictures and some measurements.

Here are the screens I'm interested in.

Name:   Rear Screen ROLEF.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  89.0 KB
<--Rear Door. Click image for larger version

Name:	Side Screen ROLEF.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	508.5 KB
ID:	305047<--Side sliding door. This is like the one in the FitRV video mentioned above.Click image for larger version

Name:	door screen ROLEF.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	305046<--Front door screens. These come with a windshield cover that I think would help keep the van cool in summer, as well as provide privacy.

In my discussion with Roger he indicated that if a few people wanted them to make screens for them, he might be able to come to the US and custom install the screens, as the company did for the FitRV video. Prices are in $CAD if you get the screen in Canada. If they come to the US to install, the prices would be in $USD.

The purpose of this posting is to inform Forum members about these products. I've been eyeing screens for a while now and found these to be very interesting. Also, I'd like to find out if other members are interested—so I can continue my discussion with Roger about possibly getting a custom install here in the US. I've only been active on Sprinter Van forum for a few months...do members ever get together for "forum rallies" and such? Of course, Montreal is only a 22 hr drive from Little Rock, and the route would take us through some pretty interesting places.
2021 25' Globetrotter FT, 2006/07 Interstate
2010 GMC 2500HD Sierra Crew 4x Diesel
duckdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:07 AM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
No interest at all in a rear screen, but I would like to have a screen for the sliding door that my cat could not push her way past. This pretty much eliminates magnetic screens.

I have just about the last year AI that did not have screens, at least as an option. I was told that the dealer tried to install a screen on a 2014.5 and ended up with two days of labor each for two techs and a pretty botched up installation.

I have a concept of a fixed rigid screen, starting at the rear of the opening and ending at a point where one could still enter and leave at the front of the sliding door. From there forward, the screen would be magnetic. Doesn't solve my cat problem, but I think it would be convenient.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
We have no critters to content with (except for the possibility of wild critters coming in!) and find that my cobbled magnetic screen works fine on the sliding door. Have never wished for a screen on the back doors, but the one in the picture looks interesting - though probably pricey.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I just revisited this issue...

If I'm to understand the website, the slider-only screen is CAD $750 plus QST (9.975%) which comes out to about USD $650 assuming you can get a mid-market exchange rate (not the typical bank rate - for that you will pay more). Plus shipping costs, and be careful navigating the duty issue.

Ugh. I can tell you that I think it's a totally fair price based on the apparent quality of the product and the screen-related labor that I've put into our van (here and here). There's a lot of work to these things and no way to automate most of the process.

That being the case, I'm not going to jump on it right away. It comes down to the eternal question of, "Which way do I want to spend my allowance?" and as much as I'd like that product, I'm not sure that I'm going to ante up when I could make an effective but inferior product myself for about $20. That part of my allowance may go to an upgraded CarPlay-compatible radio instead.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:36 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
2021 25' Globetrotter
2007 Interstate
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
No interest at all in a rear screen, but I would like to have a screen for the sliding door that my cat could not push her way past. This pretty much eliminates magnetic screens.
Pahaska,
The ROLEF side-screens are magnetic closure, and could be pushed open by a pet. The video at TheFitRV (link here) shows clearly the installation and operation of the side-door screen.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
2021 25' Globetrotter
2007 Interstate
Little Rock , Arkansas
InterBlog,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I totally understand, my toys are expensive too.
I was in contact with Roger over at ROLEF, and his fabricator wanted some more pictures of the sliding door, some from the inside, etc. I haven't had time to get things together to send them.

From what I've seen available on the market, these seem competitively priced. I guess I'd want to be sure they work well enough. In general, people seem to have a lot of trouble with their screens—whether we're talking older models like ours or new ones—and especially the sliding door screens. But the newest models seem to have some of the kinks worked out.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:51 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Adding Screens Anyone?

Thanks duckdave for alerting us to this company and their product!

It surely solves a problem for those of us that have earlier models w/o sliding screens!

We've decided to have a side screen put on and wanted to float it out there to see if anyone else was considering doing the same!

They charge $200 to come to you for the install. So if there were several of us looking to purchase their screens, we could meet somewhere and split the cost!

Otherwise, we'll be making a trip North to Montreal this Summer and then probably tour the eastern provinces of Canada while we're at it!
Old 10-30-2018, 05:24 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rat View Post

It surely solves a problem for those of us that have earlier models w/o sliding screens!

We've decided to have a side screen put on and wanted to float it out there to see if anyone else was considering doing the same!

They charge $200 to come to you for the install. So if there were several of us looking to purchase their screens, we could meet somewhere and split the cost!

Otherwise, we'll be making a trip North to Montreal this Summer and then probably tour the eastern provinces of Canada while we're at it!
Have any AI owners gotten these ROLEF screens. I'm extremely allergic to noseeums - so I'm interested.
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:52 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Keswick , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Camerons
Welcome to canada :)

Montreal and the east coast is gorgeous in the summer. Winters can be a bit brutal.

We have a 2016 with the windshield cover and screens. Have to warn you that it not a perfect seal around the door. It works well in the day time however if you have your lights on at night any little opening will be filled with bugs coming in. We put screens on over the driver and passenger door then install the white window covering over top. That seems to be enough of a challenge that bugs don’t come in. We live by the lake so when there is a hatch the side of the house can be covered in small bugs. Same goes for the airstream.

The white cover works well for cutting down on the heat coming in the front windows. Just don’t count on a perfect seal for bugs at night. Buy the screens that slide Over the doors and install both
Camerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
2021 25' Globetrotter
2007 Interstate
Little Rock , Arkansas
We got the ROLEF Windshield and Side Screens and like them

Quote:

So these screens slip over the driver and passenger door windows. There's a velcro-type strip on the leading edge of the window frame. Across the windshield stretches a privacy cover that attaches to the "velcro". Straps from the door panels secure the parts together and attach under the side mirrors.

Name:   FrontScreen1.jpeg
Views: 427
Size:  21.8 KB
This photo shows the screens installed. The fit is very exact. Installation is quick and easy, especially after a few trials. The windshield cover and side screens provide a lot of privacy. And insulation. If you open the zipped cover inside the doors, and open the windows, the screens are deployed to provide air circulation and insect protection.

Camerons commented that the screens do not provide perfect protections, there are some gaps that might provide insect access. We have not camped in heavily infested area since getting our screens, so this has not been a problem. However, I definitely plan to purchase some strong magnets to place across the bottom outsides before next summer's trip to Cape Hatteras and Ocracoke National Seashores.

Name:   FrontScreen2.jpeg
Views: 419
Size:  20.7 KB
Comes with a handy storage bag.

Name:   FrontScreen3.jpeg
Views: 408
Size:  18.0 KB
Looks good, even in good looking places!

Name:   FrontScreen4.jpeg
Views: 399
Size:  14.0 KB
Stores behind drivers seat.

I believe we paid $400 US + $50 US for shipping (no tax). If you went to Montreal they would charge you the same amount (minus shipping), but it would be in Canadian dollars (1 USD = 0.76 CAD) and I don't know about the tax. So a significant saving could be had, if you happened to want to vacation in Montreal. Here's a video showing how the ROLEF Custom RV Screen. If/when we get the screen for the sliding side door, I want to go to Montreal to make sure it's installed professionally.

We also travel with a highly reflective windshield sun blocker panel that mounts from the inside. Interblog recommended it in one of her blog posts here. It's handy for a quick pop-up to help shed sunlight, or provide quick privacy.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:19 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
ROLEF Insect Screen

We purchased the Slider door insect screen for our 15 AI lounge.

It's priced at $800 CAD but if you travel to Montreal and purchase it there, with the exchange rate it will cost @ $609 USD. Also at their shop, there is no sales tax or charge for instillation !

If they come to you, they ship you your screen and the total cost with shipping, tax and instillation ends up being @ $1100.00 USD!

I am impressed by the quality of the product as well as its ease of operation and seal of the magnetic closure!

Roger and his wife Jean-Nicolas did a great job of installing it, overall a nice fit and finish.

Below are our photos w/o a screen, then with the ROLEF screen in the open as well as closed positions.

To see a demonstration video I took of how our magnetic ROLEF screen works, use this link;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2c296f9ky2...20mp4.mp4?dl=0

You might have noticed that we have removed both of our 2nd row captains chairs to make room for additional storage. We found that we were mostly piling odds and ends on the seats and felt we could make better use of that space.

We're in the process of making 2 storage units, using 80/20 products, that will fasten to the floor utilizing the anchor bolts left from each removed seat base.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	No screen.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	327245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen 1 Open.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	327246  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Closed 1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	327247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen closed 2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	327248  

Old 07-01-2019, 12:14 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

jersey city , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rat View Post
We purchased the Slider door insect screen for our 15 AI lounge.

It's priced at $800 CAD but if you travel to Montreal and purchase it there, with the exchange rate it will cost @ $609 USD. Also at their shop, there is no sales tax or charge for instillation !

We're in the process of making 2 storage units, using 80/20 products, that will fasten to the floor utilizing the anchor bolts left from each removed seat base.

Mark
wow is there a way to DIY to save up the money. 600 bucks is quite hefty for me, yet... i am very annoyed at the amount of insects around me now.
sassyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote