Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Front Seats

Donít know if thereís a topic already posted on this, however we are interested in upgrading our two front seats to more comfortable products. We have a 2008 sprinter chassis with 2009 airstream filled out. The two front seats are so uncomfortable on long drives that we feel compelled to spend almost whatever it takes to get more comfortable seats. Has anyone done this? If so, what did you put in and where did you find them? Or do we need to simply have these re-upholstered?
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:41 PM   #2
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
3BCAMPER - I don't have experience with this since my unit is new. But, I have had car seats and house chairs/sofas re-upholstered before. I am lucky to have a couple of local auto upholstery shops near me. His criteria was always this - if the shape is comfortable then it is worth re-upholstering. If it is not, then good time to shop for seat with different size/shape/more adjustability. New seats are very expensive, so re-upholstering is always my 1st option.

PS: Seat comfort is also very personal/subjective and are arse/weight/size/back specific. What works for me probably will be horrible for you
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Ain't that the truth. As with seats, so with beds (which are converted seats). LB_3 and I sleep on the type of jackknife sofas that most of the Class B world seems to equate with medieval torture chambers, and we think that they are the cat's meow. I wouldn't have any other seat in here for all the money in the world.

Is it that your existing seats are uncomfortable, or is it that long drives are just inherently uncomfortable no matter what is beneath one's posterior? How long do you go at a stretch before moving around?
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
Having the front seats redone is a good option so no modification of the seat track is necessary. Pick the foam hardness you like, the amount of support/bolstering and the covering.

I just had two front seats redone in our Mazdaspeed 6 with new leather, foam, (stiffer), and larger bottom & side bolsters for about $1,500. Then I picked up a Focus ST with leather Recaros and felt like I didn't go far enough with bolstering but that's water under the bridge now. In any case it was still cheaper, (and it matches), than getting aftermarket seats.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:30 PM   #5
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Are the seats the same as those in the newer AIs?? I keep praising these seats. Last trip I went 18 hours on them and nothing hurt!!

But as mentioned, everyone is different. Do share what you end up doing.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:44 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Front Seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Ain't that the truth. As with seats, so with beds (which are converted seats). LB_3 and I sleep on the type of jackknife sofas that most of the Class B world seems to equate with medieval torture chambers, and we think that they are the cat's meow. I wouldn't have any other seat in here for all the money in the world.

Is it that your existing seats are uncomfortable, or is it that long drives are just inherently uncomfortable no matter what is beneath one's posterior? How long do you go at a stretch before moving around?

We stop regularly for stretch and exercise breaks. Itís really the firmness of the seat that seems to cut off circulation to the posterior. I have had cars with really superb seats (cushion and material) that did not cause fatigue and were a pleasure to drive long distances. Given that the sprinter is burlier than a car, it seems adding comfort for the driver is very important.

Iím thinking that reupholstering will be the way to go, based on responses here.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:49 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Are the seats the same as those in the newer AIs?? I keep praising these seats. Last trip I went 18 hours on them and nothing hurt!!

The seats in our 2009 are definitely firmer and more utilitarian than those in the newer AIs. We just tried out the seats in the 2017 AI that our neighbors in the campground have. Those seats are wonderful and would be great to have in ours.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:06 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Not sure if the 2008 Sprinter seats are different than the 2011s. Like others have said, they are the most comfortable seats of all our vehicles. I agree with your idea to reupholster as it is probably the easiest route. However, with all the used sprinters around, have you checked to see if there is an aftermarket source for front seats?
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:17 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Thatís partly what I was hoping to learn by putting this question out there.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
If you haven't done so already, do a search on the Sprinter-Source forum. There is some pretty good Sprinter specific information to be found over there if you look past the trolls and folks with bad attitudes.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bcamper View Post
Iím thinking that reupholstering will be the way to go, based on responses here.
3BCAMPER - You would be surprised at all the different types of cushioning technology available nowadays to customize your current seats. Just make sure you go to a competent one, preferably one who specializes in automotive upholstering. Explain all your needs and wants. They can do just about anything. My auto upholsterer redid a lot of our heavily used kitchen chairs & tables. It was 200% better than any home furniture grade materials coz they were made to withstand the extreme use, UV exposure, & temps inside cars. Most of the time, the automotive experts have no problem doing furniture. But the furniture experts do not neccesarily know the intricacies of auto upholstering. Best of luck on the search
Old 08-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post

The seats in newer AIs are significantly more plush and comfortable than our 2009. The newer AIs that I have been in have nice soft leather (or leather-like material) and softer cushioning.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
On the topic of front seat comfort, I'm giving Purple a whirl. A whirlple?

This product certainly has the best marketing team I've seen in a while. I don't know if it will perform better than the other options. I have not owned it long enough to pass judgment.

Supposedly, it has a shock absorption quality that other products lack. So say some of the wheelchair owners.

Anyway, pics, with and without the removable cover. BBB has them in stock; if you use the ever-present 20% off coupon, they are about $70 including tax.

And oh, if you inspect it in the BBB brick-and-mortar, in the display area, they have a chair set up so you can try it out. But that floor model has borne more 300-pounds butts than can be counted, so don't trust that to represent the new product.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:24 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
2 captains chairs

I have 2 black ultra leather chairs available that I removed from the second row of a 2015 Lounge .
PM me if interested!
Rig Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:44 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Just got back from a 5200 mile, 4 week motor tour. Our seats in our 2011 Sprinter were fine. When we initially purchased our rig in 2011, I put full, non-synthetic, sheepskin seat covers on both the front seats. I have no regrets. Very comfortable, warm in the winter, cool in the summer. Don't cheep out on them, get the thick, real ones designed for the seat. The sprinter seats are the same pattern as I believe an E300. Don't quote me on the fitment chart, verify before your purchase.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:54 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
My back is sore after one hour of sitting in either car (Prius, CRV) and it takes a bit of walking to get things straightened out. I can sit four hours in the AI and not experience any pain of stiffness. The seats don't feel as comfortable as the wrap-around sedan seats when first sitting on them, but they are sure easier on the back. I think part of the issue is sitting more upright and plenty of room in the footwell for both legs to be extended straight forward.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
My back is sore after one hour of sitting in either car (Prius, CRV) and it takes a bit of walking to get things straightened out. I can sit four hours in the AI and not experience any pain of stiffness. The seats don't feel as comfortable as the wrap-around sedan seats when first sitting on them, but they are sure easier on the back. I think part of the issue is sitting more upright and plenty of room in the footwell for both legs to be extended straight forward.
TITUS - A strictly subjective observantion on my part - that my AI front seats are more comfortable for the really long drives than my S500 sedan. I think it is as you said - the sitting position & room in the Sprinter has a lot to do with it. BTW - not sure if this info is accurate, but I read the AI front seats are MB OEM that re-covered by AS. Being the seats are new, I would only assume AS puts the Ultraleather on top of OEM MB coverings? Probably adds an extra layer of cushioning? I know they do so on the back sides of seat because if you run your hands across, you can still feel the contours of the OEM solid molded back panel. I also saw the inner part of that back panel when I had to remove it for wiring work and saw original coverings under the Ultraleather.

Side note - I also read the 2nd row captain's seats are not MB OEM. I believe it since the contours look/feel different. I wish AI used the MB OEM for these 2nd row seats.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I don't sit in the second row seat enough to care about its comfort. But I do wish that it sat up a bit higher and was mounted about 1" further forward so that it had clearance to swivel. I have thought about fabricating a bracket with the desired changes. Concern is making it strong enough to be safe in a collision.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:42 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
My back is sore after one hour of sitting in either car (Prius, CRV) ....
FWIW, I can't go anywhere without a lumbar pillow. Here's the one I use in the Interstate.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:40 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I don't think that benefits I see from the Interstate vs sedan seating is lumbar-related. I suspect it is more related to increased wheel-well space that allows me to sit 'square'. On sedans my left leg is forced to the right because of the wheel well, forcing one to sit crooked. Sitting more upright probably helps too. I perform a walletectomy on all long trips.