Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2016, 10:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lake Mary , Florida
Fresh water tank DRAIN

If such a thread is exist please refer me to it )))

Does a drain valve of fresh water tank have already been installed by factory in the AI, or I have to make one?

If it is there, where exactly?

If not there, which valve and where in the tank it is better to install?

Thanks everyone!
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:03 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
My Interstate has a fresh water drain plug, easily reachable when lying on your back alongside the van and reaching underneath, just slightly behind the position of the fresh water tank fill port. It has a hex head but is made of plastic so you have to be careful to avoid messing it up as you open it. This is the tool I found most effective for opening the drain without damaging it:

It's called a Knipex plier-wrench, and I bought mine at my local Sears store. Like a cross between an adjustable wrench and a pair of pliers.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Got it, Protagonist, I will drain it tomorrow, because it is probably already cooked under 100 degrees weather )))
Old 07-15-2016, 09:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I added a brass NPT to Hose Bib adapter so I don't wear the plastic threads on the fresh water tank fitting. I close off the drain with a Hose Bib cap that is just a bit lower than the original plug. It has worked well for three years now and I normally empty the tank about five times each year. Here is photo.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1468595549.703753.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	266827

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:20 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
This is the tool I found most effective for opening the drain without damaging it:

It's called a Knipex plier-wrench, and I bought mine at my local Sears store. Like a cross between an adjustable wrench and a pair of pliers.
It was foolish to pay $14 for this uni-tasker socket, but it sure works great for the fresh water plug. And I guess I could use it to crack nuts.

https://goo.gl/wSPmrC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zsock.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	266834  
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtom View Post
It was foolish to pay $14 for this uni-tasker socket, but it sure works great for the fresh water plug. And I guess I could use it to crack nuts.

https://goo.gl/wSPmrC
Yes sure I already thought about it, and I will use one from my set of deep chrom-vanadium impacts. Thank you for showing the size.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I added a brass NPT to Hose Bib adapter so I don't wear the plastic threads on the fresh water tank fitting. I close off the drain with a Hose Bib cap that is just a bit lower than the original plug. It has worked well for three years now and I normally empty the tank about five times each year. Here is photo.
Attachment 266827

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Will see.. maybe it's better to insert some on-off drain facet there, so if I'll do it I'll post pictures. Thank you for your effort to make for me a photo, Mike.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:53 AM   #8
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
What was your reason for draining it? I refill my fresh water whenever I get back from a trip and keep it full for my next trip. I don't use my fresh water tank to drink. I heard people drain it for winter, but I don't have to worry about snow in LA.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
What was your reason for draining it? I refill my fresh water whenever I get back from a trip and keep it full for my next trip. I don't use my fresh water tank to drink. I heard people drain it for winter, but I don't have to worry about snow in LA.
I also not drink it, but it may sour staying at 100 degrees Florida heat outside. I open a galley faucet and the hot water comes )))
Old 07-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
I also not drink it, but it may sour staying at 100 degrees Florida heat outside. I open a galley faucet and the hot water comes )))
Clean fresh water will not stagnate. Only water containing organic material will stagnate.

Water can taste "flat" when it loses dissolved oxygen after a long period of storage, but driving around with a partially-full tank will agitate it and put oxygen back in. A flat taste is not the same as stagnation, and drinking flat water is not harmful.

Not much you can do about the water getting hot before you can use it if the weather is that hot, except maybe use that water to brew sun tea.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Someone here installed a valve in place of the plug which sticks down further than I'd want it since knocking it off would not only empty the tank but most likely destroy the tank fitting. Then how to replace that would be the next task.

I just use the correct size socket and ratchet. Don't even have to lie on my back, just reach under and do it by feel. I do put new thread tape on it each time which both seals it and protects the threads.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
How about this one, Marc, it looks like it will be only half of an inch lower then the original plug
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	266878  
Old 07-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #13

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
How about this one, Marc, it looks like it will be only half of an inch lower then the original plug
You'd have to trim off the threads so that they don't stick up above the bottom of the tank, or else you'd never be able to completely drain the tank. That's one advantage of sticking with a removable plug instead of a valve.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Quote:
You'd have to trim off the threads so that they don't stick up above the bottom of the tank, or else you'd never be able to completely drain the tank. That's one advantage of sticking with a removable plug instead of a valve.
This valve is designed for 3/8 or 1/2 thread. Ours is the bigger one, a half-inch, so you just cut the unnessessary 3/8 portion, and it will fit even with the bottom of tank.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #15

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
This valve is designed for 3/8 or 1/2 thread. Ours is the bigger one, a half-inch, so you just cut the unnessessary 3/8 portion, and it will fit even with the bottom of tank.
You may also have to cut off a few of the 1/2 threads to get it flush with the tank bottom when screwed all the way in. Don't go by the original plug, which can stick up without affecting anything, go by the number of threads on the tank itself.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Looks like it would work. Let us know how it turns out.

I'm sticking w/ the plug (KISS philosophy).

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:20 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
Might be too small

Quote:
I have that valve and IIRC both sets of threads are too small for the fresh water plug.
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post

Oh if only I again lived in that perfect climate of California. 😎

I have to drain it during the freezing winters here in Maryland and again when I return form our typical Florida trip in February to unthaw. If it sits full like now at 90-100 degF it tends to grow things so I shock it with bleach, drain and refill before the next trip.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Quote:
You may also have to cut off a few of the 1/2 threads to get it flush with the tank bottom when screwed all the way in. Don't go by the original plug, which can stick up without affecting anything, go by the number of threads on the tank itself.
It was smart!
Old 07-15-2016, 08:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Oh if only I again lived in that perfect climate of California. ��

I have to drain it during the freezing winters here in Maryland and again when I return form our typical Florida trip in February to unthaw. If it sits full like now at 90-100 degF it tends to grow things so I shock it with bleach, drain and refill before the next trip.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Chlorine smell is difficult to eliminate, and once you shock tank with bleach, it should stinks then?