Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Chlorine smell is difficult to eliminate, and once you shock tank with bleach, it should stinks then?

I prefer a little chlorine odor to the green slim I've drained from the tank in the past when I let it sit for a few months at end of a summer trip.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lake Mary , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I prefer a little chlorine odor to the green slim I've drained from the tank in the past when I let it sit for a few months at end of a summer trip.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Make sense indeed )
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:29 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
I always add a little bleach Each time I fill.

As far as wrench use, NO WAY. I use some plumbers tape also and just tighten and undo by hand. It's very easy to strip drain plug or tank threading.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:40 PM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
According to both the EPA and the World Health Organization, a chlorine residual between 1% and 4% is drinkable— and chlorine is recommended for emergency treatment of water supplies— but some people can taste concentrations as low as 2%. A 1% concentration is virtually undetectable by human taste buds. But as long as there is any chlorine residual in the water, no microorganisms can grow in it.

Note that even 4% chlorine is way less than the concentration used to sanitize your tank.

Also, with a vented tank, the concentration of chlorine in a tank of fresh water should drop by about 1% per day because chlorine gradually evaporates out of the water. If you add 4% chlorine when you fill the tank, then by day 5 all of the chlorine should be gone.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtom View Post
I have that valve and IIRC both sets of threads are too small for the fresh water plug.
You appeared to be the most correct in regards of the plug size.
Our fresh water drain plug is 3/4 inch, so the above pictured plastic crap wound not fit.

I bought today the brass one of the correct size at a local Home Depot (pictured), however it sticks down for two inches.
No good also.

Thus, if nobody have any other advise, I will follow recommendations of the majority - will use the stock plug.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	266889  
Old 07-16-2016, 06:35 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

fairfax station , va
socket, no wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post

As far as wrench use, NO WAY. I use some plumbers tape also and just tighten and undo by hand. It's very easy to strip drain plug or tank threading.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
You are right, but if you use the 1" giganto deep socket it makes a great "hand tightener" without an actual ratchet.
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:19 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
The update.

I found the solution by cutting with Dremel a half of the new brass socket, right to the place of switching ball. So, now the total length down from the factory water tank cap collar is 1 inch, which is not dangerous to scratch it, though I do not drive on havy terrains.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	322
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	267000  
Old 07-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
But I still have a concern.

The original screwed tank cap had traces of green mold and algae, that means the water always had some leak through the cap thread although I had found it on a Teflon tape.

I put a lot of new Teflon tape on the brass thread, and I made several attempts to screw in the new facet to avoid water drops. My concern is that there were always a hanging drop of water from between the threads. Finally I put almost half of a roll of Teflon tape to avoid water drops, however I don't want to brake the tank because the mother thread made of plastic. Will see and keep you updated.

Should the water drop anyway will appear there, is any other method exist to patch between the threads? I would like to put it permanently but with ability to unscrew it if needed, so JB-weld epoxy would not be a solution.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	154
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	267003  
Old 07-16-2016, 10:38 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Try plumber's putty.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:49 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
How about this?
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	127
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	267031  
Old 07-17-2016, 12:48 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Yes, small drop is hanging...
Removed, for a tomorrow fix.
I beleive a silicone would work as well, what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	101
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	267036  
Old 07-17-2016, 04:22 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Silicone adhesive would probably work as well but I would be hesitant about using it since if you use too much it could work its way back into the valve at a later date and cause sealing problems.

Pipe dope or other plumbing pastes won't ever solidify and will not cause the same problems if it entered the valve.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:27 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Remove the thread tape before applying something else.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:41 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Sherman Oaks , California
Does this sound right?

Our 2014 Interstate lost water pressure. The dealer says the filter and pump need to be replaced because of algae. The pump still goes on, but again barely any water comes out. At first a little and then it stops no matter what sink, toilet, shower...is tried. I would like to confirm what the dealer is saying. Also, is this a typical repair we can have corrected by any RV service person. We do not have a reputable dealer and I prefer to not work with them any longer.
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:36 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
What I'd try is to sanitize the tank with bleach for a couple of days, and I'd likely make the percentage of bleach a bit higher. Also, I would remove the filter from the pump and clean it, and see if that solves the problem. I suppose it is possible that the pump is full of gunk, and if so, it may be easier to replace it than take it apart and repair it.

Replacing the pump isn't that difficult if you must (I replaced the original cheap loud pump with a variable flow quiet pump long ago), but you will have to figure out how to get to it with your configuration. In mine, I had to remove a drawer and microwave for access. Any reputable dealer can do it, but I emphasize the word "reputable" and "dealer" are seldom used in the same sentence.

The next question is how did that algae get there in the first place? You should always drain the tank in my opinion if you are not using it, and always sanitize using bleach as instructed in the manual.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:13 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
I also think it is good first to clean the pump and input line with bleach, as gmillerok said. As long as the pump goes on, it works. It is behind the microwave, to remove which there are only four screws on its front panel. It is not a difficult task but a dealer (and especially a “reputable one” )) may charge you unfair hourly rate.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:34 PM   #37

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
FAIRFAX , California
Fresh water tank drain plug

I got replacement plug for 2015 Interstate GT at Colonial Airstream.
For $1.15 ea picked up a couple as spares.
After a couple of times doing it I now have no trouble draining, don't need to lay down just do it by feel with 1" socket and short extension.
Chas
chasrdi12 is offline   Reply With Quote