Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2019, 02:27 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Forward AC outlet

July and August are pretty much down times for us because of heat. Nice thing is that we can pretty much use the AI the other 10 months. Time to do some nice, non-imperative tasks.

Here in Texas, we seldom need the furnace. We use a ceramic heater instead. Last winter, I was frustrated because I needed to either plug in over the galley or run a cord up the floor from the CS outlet in the rear. Neither was a very nice solution. I don't use the inverter-serviced outlets.

I decided to install an outlet in the end wall of the galley, beside the fire extinguisher. There is a big 3" deep void between the curved end wall and the 3/4" thick wall next to the trash basket. I just needed to avoid the cable to the touch pad when drilling in that area.

I wanted to use stranded wire for the connection. I had an unused 25' 12 gauge extension cord in the shop, so I decided I would plug that into the CS rear outlet and follow the water piping to the front end of the galley. I cut off the outlet end. I only had to drill two 3/4" holes for the wire: one above the wheel well and one into the trash basket area, below the water piping to run the wire. While I was in there, I added extra insulation to the outer wall behind the drawers. A few zip ties to the water lines and the wire is well secured.

I drilled several 3" holes in the 3/4" wall beside the trash basket. This wall is not visible when the drawer is in place and I may mount something else in that void in the future. I need to go back tomorrow with my Sonicrafter to cut the hole for the outlet. I'll permanently plug the cord in the rear outlet and strap the cord out of the way in that area. That outlet is so far under the twin bed that we have never used it anyway. My wife always has bags of odds and ends to stuff under the twin beds in what was the foot space for the couch.

Forgot my phone today. I'll have some photos tomorrow.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you are using normal extension cord wire with normal power outlets, it's probably best to put crimp connectors on the end of the wires and screw them to the outlet.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you are using normal extension cord wire with normal power outlets, it's probably best to put crimp connectors on the end of the wires and screw them to the outlet.

Bob
Exactly what I plan to do. I don't like bare stranded wire for that sort of connection.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-27-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
Contributing Member

Outlet installed

Took the Sonicrafter out to the AI this morning and cut the hole for the outlet. The front wall is 3/4" thick and there is just barely enough space between it and the wall next to the trash can to fit a regular old-work box with about 1/8" to spare. If the space was any narrower. I would have been forced to use a shallow box which makes it hard to get the #12 leads folded in. All connections are crimped.

The plate is at home, getting multiple coats of stain to best match the laminate.

Having a forward outlet will be nice when we are using the ceramic heater in cooler weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outlet ready.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	347749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Outlet installed.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	347750  

WBCCI #9632
Old 07-27-2019, 01:02 PM   #5
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
JOHN - Good outlet addition there. I wonder why AS does not have one there from factory? Seems best place to have, so you dont have to use that hard to reach outlet under the bedd
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:17 PM   #6
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
JOHN - Good outlet addition there. I wonder why AS does not have one there from factory? Seems best place to have, so you don't have to use that hard to reach outlet under the bed
Odd thing. All three of my former Airstream trailers had outlets by the door. On my Classic 28, I enlarged the cutout and installed a double box to get 4 outlets. I used the extra outlets for a voltmeter and for the neon continuity checker that came with the trailer.
WBCCI #9632