Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2022, 03:54 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Flooring Options?

Has any one replaced their floor on an Interstate. We’ve had this on our list of things to do. We removed those round table bases and it drives me crazy looking at them.

Yeah, I know that I could throw some rugs on them but my OCD will kill me knowing that they’re there. Besides would like a new look as they're starting to look a bit dated.

I’ve considered some of the LPV flooring as they’re a pretty easy install but I hate the sound of that floor with the clanking when you walk on it especially our dog with her nails. However, I'm not apposed to it.

Looks like linoleum has come a long way and some of it looks pretty darn nice.

I also like the look of the flooring in the new AI’s.

Doesn’t seem like a hard job except for securing the edges. Would try to avoid any type of corner round molding and do more of glueing job. I've read and seen that with LPV flooring they want you to leave a small gap for expansion and the reason that they put corner round molding which is probably a no go for me unless it can be adhered another way.

Any suggestions?
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:34 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1996 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
New Britain , Pennsylvania
Thinking cork myself. Might not be the best for dogs long term, but the floor area is so small it would be easy to replace.
Kstills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:20 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Salem , New Hampshire
Cork bottom with some type of covering on top?

Cork in general is too porous and don't think that the boss lady would approve. Kinda don't blame her either.

You mention dogs and you'll probably be replacing it often if it was straight cork.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:03 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StogieMan View Post
Cork bottom with some type of covering on top?

Cork in general is too porous and don't think that the boss lady would approve. Kinda don't blame her either.

You mention dogs and you'll probably be replacing it often if it was straight cork.

Seek and ye shall find:

https://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/...8aAuf3EALw_wcB
Old 07-02-2022, 12:14 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstills View Post
Wow, that looks pretty good - I like it.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:11 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Wow, that looks pretty good - I like it.
Yep, found my flooring. Hideously expensive if I was putting it in a room of a house, but I have so little floor space this cost won't even register. Softer, more insulation (snort*) and a wide range of color choices. What's not to like?
Old 07-02-2022, 10:52 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstills View Post
Yep, found my flooring. Hideously expensive if I was putting it in a room of a house, but I have so little floor space this cost won't even register. Softer, more insulation (snort*) and a wide range of color choices. What's not to like?
Yes, this is on the top of things to do list but not looking forward to all the cuts etc. Same here, the actual layout is not a big area. However, I would pay to get it done. I know there was a thread way back on a company that did custom cuts for boats etc. I might be wrong but I would absolutely pay to get something precut to fit and then install it myself.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:00 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Salem , New Hampshire
Heck, you would think that Airstream has this info and sell you some precut flooring. Like I mentioned before, I do like some of the new flooring material on the newer AI's.

I'm going to reach out to them after the holiday and ask them if I could purchase some precut flooring for my 2015 specs.

But, actually, It looks like that they do the entire floor before putting everything in which makes a whole lot of sense.

Airstream - this might be a market for you - just saying.......
Old 07-02-2022, 11:12 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Yes, this is on the top of things to do list but not looking forward to all the cuts etc. Same here, the actual layout is not a big area. However, I would pay to get it done. I know there was a thread way back on a company that did custom cuts for boats etc. I might be wrong but I would absolutely pay to get something precut to fit and then install it myself.
Making the cuts is easy peasey. At least, if you have a variety of saws to choose from.

With laminate/thin flooring, a multi tool is probably all you'd need, as long as you can bury the edges under some cabinetry. Failing that, a thin piece of moulding at the edge would hide any gaps.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:51 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Edit to the above, just noticed these are planks, not tiles. Definitely want a table saw to cut these for accuracy, or a damn good jig with a circular saw.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Floor

Just looked at web site and I like what it has . I will be looking into it more. Do they leave gap around edge ect.
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote