Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2017, 02:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tampa , Florida
Fiamma F65 Eagle and Project 2000 Step

Recently the retracting step has been working intermittently. Last week I parked the Sprinter in its storage lot. Friday I went to get something out of it and the awning was deployed.

Upon opening the sliding door, the step extended. Curious. Then activating the switch to retract the awning, there was a clicking sound, but the awning didn't retract. Same thing with the manual wrench. Turning the wrench produced a clicking sound and no movement of the awning.

It sounds as if the awning extended and the motor didn't stop running, stripping the gears. The sliding step acting up at the same time is suspicious. From some of the other posts, I have a feeling that these two problems are related possibly to the alarm wiring issue.

Now I am in a fix because the awning can't be retracted. Until it can be retracted, the van can't be moved.

Any thoughts on this combination of issues and what to do about retracting the awning will be appreciated.
jim.waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
I don't know about the interaction. But you can diagnose the step. Jack up or carefully drive the van over something to raise the chassis. The crawl under with a flashlight and look through a hole in the step enclosure. Then have someone cause the step to open and close and see if the shaft is turning, or just the inside of it. The set screw comes loose there causing it to not work.

If the motor doesn't activate at all then yes, it could be an electrical issue elsewhere.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

New York , New York
I'm curious how this ended as I had a similar problem with my awning and now the step!
sukismith64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:44 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
It hasn't ended.

Turns out the reason the awning auto deployed is that a part Fiamma calls a winch failed. The winch holds the awning closed. Without the winch, the awning slides open, very rapidly.

I was able to buy a replacement winch this week from Fiamma. It was not difficult to install. That permitted the awning to be retracted. I then immediately removed fuse #10 under the driver's seat to deactivate the awning.

If you need to replace your winch, I can get the part number. The information is in the van at the storage lot. I will be able to get it tomorrow. There are at least two styles of winches, long and short. This refers to the length of the shaft on which the manual crank is attached. We need the "long" version. It came with a loop on the end for the non-electric versions. The loop has to be removed. Just knock out the pin and pull it off.

The question is what caused the winch to fail? There has been discussion of various issues causing the motor to run. Did that damage the winch? I don't know. Could it happen again? I don't know that either.

The step still isn't working. That is the next project now that i can actually move the van with the awning closed.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:49 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
any update on the step? My step has been acting a little crazy as well and I have begun searching the threads to see what others have been encountering. It is an intermittent thing. So I know its not a fuse or a motor gone bad. I also played with the magnet on the sliding door, but of course cannot get the problem to duplicate.
SwampRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:43 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
While Fiamma completely lacks technical people due to the July event there, they have tried to be very helpful. I was able to buy a replacement part they call a winch. After installing the new winch, the awning retracted properly.

In the process of installing the winch I learned that it is what holds the awning closed. When the gears stripped in the winch, the awning slid open from gravity. The auto deploy in my case was a mechanical issue rather than electrical.

After installing the new winch and removing the warning buzzer which is for both the awning and step, the step has begun to work properly again. From other threads, the problem with the step may be related to the buzzer. There is a thread on installing a diode on the awning wiring to the buzzer which may solve the problem. In the meantime, removing the buzzer seems to fix the step problem.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
2012 Interstate Coach
Woodside , California
Jim,
Do you have a phone # or address or URL for fiamma? Also, the same for Project 2000? I have a tough time finding parts and the dealers are not very helpful if they know at all.
Mickey2012
Mickey2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:45 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
https://www.fiammausa.com/

https://www.lippertcomponents.eu/support/

Hope this will help
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
We seldom use our awning (three times in 5 years) and I have put a Velcro strap around it front and back to guard against inadvertent deployment. Then I pulled the switch out and pulled the power wire off, so that it can't be accidentally deployed with the straps in place. Takes about 5 minutes to reverse the above - standing on a picnic table or campground dumpster to remove the Velcro straps.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
Micky,

Marcus at Fiamma was a big help this Spring getting parts. He recommended I look at both the winch and the reduction gear. Two years ago I replaced the winch only. Clearly both parts were damaged this time. Marcus is in what they call Technical Support. Their phone number in Orlando is 407-672-0091.

Regarding the Project 2000 step, I haven't made any progress. This fall I plan to give up and take it to the local dealer to see what they can do.