Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Fiamma awning repair write up

I have read several post about the Fiamma F65 Eagle awning deploying unexpectedly. I have had this problem myself, and have taken the thing apart and put it back together several times trying to find the problem. I have finally found it and fixed it. So many others have helped me on this site, that I have decided that it is time to pay back and post the repair.

You will need to call Fiamma at 407-672-0091 and order the Winch Assembly, part 98655-200 (supersedes old part number 98655-106). It cost me $93.00 plus $10 shipping. Ask for 5 of the little plastic clips that fasten the cover over the motor assembly, since you will probably destroy these. They threw them in for free with my order.
jgeurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:44 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2730.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	345964

The arrow points to the part in question.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma

Name:	winch.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	345969

This is the new winch assembly and some new push pins (you need 5 of them).
Old 07-09-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma

Name:	IMG_2743.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	345970

The Fiamma guy said "You know how you can tell if the winch is bad? The housing is separated a little bit." I am pointing to the separation in the housing of the old winch. I also know that was the bad part by putting it on the bench and testing it out - yep, it was the part that was slipping.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma

Name:	IMG_2746.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	345975

Now get out these tools, if you have them. An 8mm wrench. I found that the 5/16" nut driver was great to speed up the process, once the nuts were loosened. You will probably also need a flat headed screwdriver to pop off the plastic push pins on the motor assembly.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma

Name:	IMG_2737.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	345979

Remove the plastic cover and unscrew the 3 bolts shown here. You don't need to disassemble anything else. (I took every piece of this thing apart at least 3 times trying to find the problem.) You won't see anything wrong, except that little separation in the winch housing.

Now all you have to do is to replace the old winch assembly with the new one. This is going to be so easy for you!!
Old 07-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma

Name:	IMG_2738.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	345984

Whoops . . . I almost forgot . . . since the darn thing is broken, and since it holds the awning in place, you had better secure the awning somehow before you take that winch assembly out. If you are like me you are already tying the thing up between uses. I used a short loop of parachute cord on both ends, tied with a large enough loop to allow the awning to let out a little. You can see it here on the right. The winch assembly is out now, and I have climbed down the ladder to get the new one.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
You probably have this problem by now: that annoying beep beep beep that tells you that the awning is not fully seated into the retracted position. Be sure to carefully secure the plastic cover over the end of the awning and put all of the push pins back in place after you have put in your new part. But before you get down off of the ladder try this little maneuver. Locate the switch that must be closed to stop the infernal beeping and bend the top of the little metal blade outwards just a little with the needle nose pliers. I am showing you this in the picture below:

Name:	IMG_2745.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	345990
Old 07-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Yeah, that little blue piece is the relay. You may not have to do this. I took an added step of drilling an extra hole on the bottom half of the plastic housing and adding a wood screw to better secure the plastic motor assembly cover to the leftmost portion of the awning housing. There is a guiding function of the plastic motor cover that brings the left half of the awning assembly into contact with the switch. It has to be put together just right or you will get the gawd-awful beeping.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:30 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
OK, you are done. I have this problem of needing to know what failed, so I drilled out the rivets that held the winch assembly cover over the gear mechanism to see what it looked like. For the "enquiring minds that need to know" . . . Here you go:

Name:	IMG_2751.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	345991

Name:	IMG_2748.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	345992

Name:	IMG_2755.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	345993
Old 07-09-2019, 03:41 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
As you can see, the gear teeth are chewed up a bit. This is enough to let the awning slip, and enough to keep the awning from fully retracting. If you are getting the beep beep warning but you awning hasn't slipped yet, you had better tie it up between uses and look out when you let the awning out, that thing is heavy and it will take your head off!

A symptom is a jumping motion on retracting the awning, with a loud accompanying banging sound. The awning may not fully deploy yet, but it will do so in time if you are hearing this and seeing this symptom.

This part is poorly designed in my opinion. I bet that every failure reported in this forum is probably due to the winch assembly. I find it suspicious that the Fiamma guy knew a lot about this particular part. It is an easy fix if you know what to look for.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:07 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Excellent body of helpful information; thank you !

If only I was armed with all this exactly one year ago when I ignored those warning signs and my Fiamma ejected on the highway and trashed itself. Now I know the relationship between "ignore" and "ignorance"
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tampa , Florida
Fiamma repair

Thanks for the great write-up and pictures. I have replaced the winch twice. Fortunately the second time I was able to secure the awning before it self deployed. Marcus at Fiamma in "Parts" is a big help. This time I had to also replace the Kit Reducer Motor Differential, part # 98667-004. It is a planatary gear reducer between the winch and the awning.

Thanks for also disassembling the winch. I haven't done that. Looks like the gears are pot metal. Too bad they won't make those gears out of something more durable. Then we wouldn't be having this problem.

After replacing the winch and Kit Reducer two weeks ago, I've sworn to not open the awning ever again. It's fastened closed with 2" wide velcro straps on each end. Now I don't have to worry about it self deploying while on the highway.
jim.waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:52 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Allentown , Pennsylvania
I guess I am going to ask a stupid questions but... If AS and Fiamma knows this is happening why are they not recalling and fixing this issue free of charge? This seem very dangerous to me and could cause an accident if this would open while driving down the highway? I still have the crappy Zip Dee on my 2018 22ft Sport. talk about flimsy!!! I realize I bought entry level but friends of mine bought much less expense travel trailers and have much better constructed awnings. OK sorry, rant over.
The Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:17 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bellingham , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeurin View Post
I have read several post about the Fiamma F65 Eagle awning deploying unexpectedly. I have had this problem myself, and have taken the thing apart and put it back together several times trying to find the problem. I have finally found it and fixed it. So many others have helped me on this site, that I have decided that it is time to pay back and post the repair.

You will need to call Fiamma at 407-672-0091 and order the Winch Assembly, part 98655-200 (supersedes old part number 98655-106). It cost me $93.00 plus $10 shipping. Ask for 5 of the little plastic clips that fasten the cover over the motor assembly, since you will probably destroy these. They threw them in for free with my order.
I had the same problem. I found some screws backed out holding the three legged motor mount to the winch assembly. Since I tightened the screws, the trouble has not repeated, but I have never quite trusted the awning to stay in. I will be ordering the winch assembly first thing. There is a bit of a gap in my winch assembly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2872.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	346190  
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:55 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I think that it takes legal action to get companies to recall and replace defective parts.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:08 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
WillieJ,

Yes that gap looks suspicious. It looks even bigger that the gap in my "bad" winch. The spiral bevel gears may not be fully meshing when that little gap is visible.

I had the same experience of temporary abatement of the problem after disassembling and reassembling the whole motor drive component, but I had no reason to think that I fixed anything, since I couldn't see anything that looked wrong. Since they are hidden inside the housing, you can't see that those gears are starting to strip out.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:43 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Adjust the sensitivity?

Have any of you adjusted the sensitivity on the blue control box for our Interstates F65 eagle awning?
If so, where is the box located and is it easily accessible?
We have a 15 lounge ext and can rarely extend the awning w/o it automatically retracting even in light breezes.
I’m considering getting a tie down kit and then pulling the fuse when using it so the awning can’t automatically retract.
But before we resort to that, I’d like to 1st try adjusting it to be less sensitive to the wind.
Rig Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:57 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bellingham , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeurin View Post
WillieJ,

Yes that gap looks suspicious. It looks even bigger that the gap in my "bad" winch. The spiral bevel gears may not be fully meshing when that little gap is visible.

I had the same experience of temporary abatement of the problem after disassembling and reassembling the whole motor drive component, but I had no reason to think that I fixed anything, since I couldn't see anything that looked wrong. Since they are hidden inside the housing, you can't see that those gears are starting to strip out.
Thanks to your earlier post with the part number and the reminder on the cover pins, ordering this morning was easy. I should have the new part by Tuesday.
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rat View Post
Have any of you adjusted the sensitivity on the blue control box for our Interstates F65 eagle awning?
If so, where is the box located and is it easily accessible?.
RIGRAT - I do not have a Fiamma F65 but during another discussion awhile back regarding Fiamma & Carefree awnings, I found out Fiamma has a 9 or 10 step wind sensitivity adjustment pot which supposedly is set to 5 by factory default. I only wished Carefree had this adjustment. From what I read, the controller is inches behind the switches for those with switches under passenger seat. So that mean inside the seat base. For my money, if your switches are not under pass seat, it would still be behind whatever cabinet/panel the switches are in. Or right behind where awning wires punch through the van metal. Those would be the easiest logical places to hide them
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190716_172502.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	346847  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote