Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2016, 05:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boonville , Missouri
Faulty Touchsensor Tank Level Panel?

Greetings Interstaters,

I apologize for the long post, but the information may be helpful. My family and I took a sojourn out of state this weekend, and something unusual happened that led to a failed component. I'm hoping you can provide me some insight. I was idling the van while I was waiting on my family to come out of a movie theater, my wife came over to the van to tell me that they were going to be a few minutes, and when she opened the passenger door, there was a barely-noticeable pop in the rear of the van. A few seconds later, the fire alarm sounded for about 5 seconds. At the time, I didn't think too much of it since there was another car idling nearby the open van door and I assumed the exhaust had triggered the CO detector. I wasn't overly concerned because the duration of the alarm was quite short as well. Eventually, the family came out and we traveled to our destination for the evening (we were not camping). I went back to secure things, turn off the furnace and I was curious about the LP level. As I opened the door of the cabinet, the ozone smell was there, and I knew something happened. All of the components seem to be in working order EXCEPT the Touchsensor tank level gauge. Upon depressing the Tank Test Button, nothing happens. Likewise with the BATT MAIN switch. The BATT AUX half of the rocker still yields a reading. I checked the circuit breakers in the 12V side of the power distribution center under the bench with no obvious blown fuses. Today I removed the panel and check the cabinet for signs of arching, and could not see any. I then unplugged and plugged in the items on the back of the panel. The status did not change. I've examined closely the back of the panel, and there are no obvious imperfections on the printed circuit board, which comprises the back of the panel.

My questions:
1. Has this component failed for anyone else? if so, how was it fixed?
2. Is this the control panel for another module located elsewhere, or is everything contained here?
3. My first inclination is to replace the panel to see if the problem is rectified. Does anyone know if I should order from A/S or go directly to Touchsensor.

I appreciate your help, and thank you all in advance. I'm a bit of a troll here, and I am constantly amazed at the collective wisdom of the group.

2014 A/S Interstate Lounge EXT (9 pass version) BTW, her name is Black Beauty.
NewOldDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Is your Interstate still under warranty?

I had mine replaced a few years ago on warranty by the dealer. Mine didn't smoke, just quit working properly.

If you can get a new one directly from TouchSensor it might be cheaper.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
is your interstate still under warranty?

I had mine replaced a few years ago on warranty by the dealer. Mine didn't smoke, just quit working properly.

If you can get a new one directly from touchsensor it might be cheaper.
+1.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2023 Atlas
Austin , Texas
I wonder if you ever resolved this issue? I'm having the exact same problem. I contacted Touchsensor and talked to a technical expert and they gave me a pinout diagram of thier connector. In that I see my 12V main battery voltage is out(house batteries 12v is present). It looks like in the Airstream Electrical wiring diagram there is a 1A fuse (MF2) but I cannot locate it in the Interstate. Anyone know where this fuse can be found?

- 2023 Airstream Atlas E1
- 2015 Airstream Interstate Ext Lounge - Previous
dw2650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2023 Atlas
Austin , Texas
Where is fuse MF2?

Here is the Electrical Schematic with the fuse I'm interested in locating. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190916_145706.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	352273  
Old 09-16-2019, 04:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw2650 View Post
Here is the Electrical Schematic with the fuse I'm interested in locating. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
If you can locate the Battery Seperator on your Interstate you should find this fuse on an in-line fuse holder in the wire that goes to the Battery Monitor Panel.

That is where it is on my 2013 Lounge model.

Good luck!
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:51 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2023 Atlas
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
If you can locate the Battery Seperator on your Interstate you should find this fuse on an in-line fuse holder in the wire that goes to the Battery Monitor Panel.

That is where it is on my 2013 Lounge model.

Good luck!

Thanks for the hint Mike! That location makes sense. It sounds like I will need to dig into the house electrical center under the road side rear jump seat next to the galley. I believe that's where the battery separator is wired up and I'm pretty confident now that's where this fuse is hiding.

I had hope yesterday to find it closer to the panel and easier to replace so I reached into/behind the monitor cabinet and followed the wires from the monitor connector as far as I could reach hoping to reach it with no luck .

It'll be a few days before I can go visit with this project again(AI in storage). I'll post more as I find, fix and see my monitor panel come back to life.

Thanks Again!

- 2023 Airstream Atlas E1
- 2015 Airstream Interstate Ext Lounge - Previous
Old 09-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2023 Atlas
Austin , Texas
Monitor panel fixed...

In my case this fuse and another (7.5A tank monitor fuse on the 12v distribution center) blew because the metal spring clip holding the voltage readout to the panel fell off and shorted the house 12v to the main 12v system. I found this by removing the panel and looking behind it. Once the spring clip was reattached securely I began looking for the fuses. The 7.5A fuse was easily remedied by checking the 12v distribution panel and seeing the led indicator next to the blown fuse well lit. Once this was replaced the panel still appears dead except the house battery voltage appears when the battery voltage rocker button is depressed towards AUX. The main voltage doesn't show nor any tank level indicator if that button is pushed.

The problem in this case was a well hidden fuse located under the road side jump seat (see attached pics). Once the jump seat is in the up position and the vented panel is removed the fuse in my case was right there.

In the Schematic it says that was to be a 1 amp fuse but after flipping open the cover on the fuse holder this turned out to be a 2 amp fuse. Assuming that was factory installed, I replaced the blown 2A fuse and the panel worked again.

Thanks for your help Mike!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190919_111658.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	352518   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190919_111744.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	335.2 KB
ID:	352519  

Old 09-19-2019, 11:45 AM   #9
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thank you for reporting back on cause of problem and fuse location!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:13 PM   #10

2014 23' International
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw2650 View Post
In my case this fuse and another (7.5A tank monitor fuse on the 12v distribution center) blew because the metal spring clip holding the voltage readout to the panel fell off and shorted the house 12v to the main 12v system. I found this by removing the panel and looking behind it. Once the spring clip was reattached securely I began looking for the fuses. The 7.5A fuse was easily remedied by checking the 12v distribution panel and seeing the led indicator next to the blown fuse well lit. Once this was replaced the panel still appears dead except the house battery voltage appears when the battery voltage rocker button is depressed towards AUX. The main voltage doesn't show nor any tank level indicator if that button is pushed.

The problem in this case was a well hidden fuse located under the road side jump seat (see attached pics). Once the jump seat is in the up position and the vented panel is removed the fuse in my case was right there.

In the Schematic it says that was to be a 1 amp fuse but after flipping open the cover on the fuse holder this turned out to be a 2 amp fuse. Assuming that was factory installed, I replaced the blown 2A fuse and the panel worked again.

Thanks for your help Mike!

Where exactly is this panel. I have a 2014 interstate airstream.
tonyrod04 is offline   Reply With Quote