Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2017, 09:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Fantastic Fan reseal

The FF had a small leak, so I pulled it out of there today. In between the ribs were some 3/8” wood spacers to level things out. I have some butyl tape and was wondering if I could just double up on that or replace the spacers?

Also, there is no wooden spacer around the opening like I’ve seen in others. Lily & comes to mind. Should there be one?
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Might call FF and see what they say.

You have a more recent model than mine, so something may have changed.

Maggie
Old 10-31-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
When I did mine I inserted wood strips on all 4 sides of the opening. I arched the cross pieces to the curve of the roof. Worked good.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
When I did mine I inserted wood strips on all 4 sides of the opening. I arched the cross pieces to the curve of the roof. Worked good.
This was in a trailer? The Interstate has ribs on the roof and is not flat up there.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I framed around my FF with 1x1x1/8 aluminum angle on my trailer roof. I don't know how curved your roof is, but mine was probably 1/8 - 3/16" below the FF frame at the outside edges. The fan was originally installed with a foam gasket which had long since compressed, and the aluminum skin was flexing. I use Sikaflex sealant to replace the fans. I match drilled the aluminum angles to the FF, put sealant on the angle between it and the skin and stuck toothpicks in the holes to aid alignment after covering the FF flange with sealant. I put some masking tape around the mounting area to give a good line on the sealant. The angle gives a secure mounting area for the FF.

If your roof is too curved for the aluminum angle approach, I'd put in the wood. Screwing the FF to the skin just didn't seem very secure.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
It is fairly flat except for the ribs. Of course AS couldn’t have moved it over a bit to get away from that long section of rib.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9278C0F6-FF2F-4027-BE4F-7AB79EEC640B.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	298032  
Old 10-31-2017, 02:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Well, I got in in there. The toothpick trick worked well. I reused the pieces of wood and sealed them in with Sikaflex, lining them up with toothpicks and holding them in place with spring clamps. After those were in, I reinstalled the fan and replaced the screws. I only had to drill out one new hole! I then sealed around the edges and smoothed in place with a gloved finger. I’ll let that set overnight and then do a final seal over the crew heads.

After that, the other roof penetrations will be redone.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I framed around my FF with 1x1x1/8 aluminum angle on my trailer roof. I don't know how curved your roof is, but mine was probably 1/8 - 3/16" below the FF frame at the outside edges. The fan was originally installed with a foam gasket which had long since compressed, and the aluminum skin was flexing. I use Sikaflex sealant to replace the fans. I match drilled the aluminum angles to the FF, put sealant on the angle between it and the skin and stuck toothpicks in the holes to aid alignment after covering the FF flange with sealant. I put some masking tape around the mounting area to give a good line on the sealant. The angle gives a secure mounting area for the FF.

If your roof is too curved for the aluminum angle approach, I'd put in the wood. Screwing the FF to the skin just didn't seem very secure.

Al
Going to try the tape. Did you take it right off or let it setup a bit first?
Old 10-31-2017, 05:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I took it off right away. Would depend on what sealant you are using. If self levelling might want to let it set up a bit or it might run.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I took it off right away. Would depend on what sealant you are using. If self levelling might want to let it set up a bit or it might run.

Al
Thanks, I’m using Sikaflex 221.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Was there a wood frame between the roof of the Sprinter and the aluminum ceiling panel of the Airstream? I don't see it in your picture, but thought I read about it in another post. I would replace the inner frame (if there is one) and the topside spacer strips with treated wood. IMO using 3/8" of tape to fill the gap sounds like a bit much.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Was there a wood frame between the roof of the Sprinter and the aluminum ceiling panel of the Airstream? I don't see it in your picture, but thought I read about it in another post. I would replace the inner frame (if there is one) and the topside spacer strips with treated wood. IMO using 3/8" of tape to fill the gap sounds like a bit much.
No inner wooden frame. I may add that at some point as the rear most area of the vent is not supported at all.
The strips were PT wood and I just reused them. Sealed them in place with Sikaflex and then put the tape over that. Sealed up around the edges and screw holes pretty well. Hard to with a zillion ladybugs flying around your head! None yesterday, today they are everywhere!

Moved over to the black/gray tank and reseal the vent for that. Will do the reefer vent next, but of the three it is in the best shape.