Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Any possibility of towing a 25FB with either an Interstate or Avenue?
Andy Thomson towed a bigger AS with a Sprinter-based Pleasure-Way - wrote about it here.

I kinda want a Sprinter-based moho - have illogical dreams of shipping it out West (which would be easier than sending a trailer and TV) for travels there.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #62
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Our understanding is that Interstates are designed to tow.

Our 06 came with a hitch, and was used by the dealer to tow trailers to RV shows.

Someone else would have to help with what weight is allowed, I am thinking plenty for a trailer.

Maggie
According to the product literature that came with my 2012 Interstate 3500, you've got the following numbers:
GVWR = 11,030#
GCWR = 15,250#
UBW = 8,133#
NCC = 2,897#
The trailer hitch is rated for 7,500# trailer weight/750# tongue weight, but you'll never get that much trailer weight without exceeding the GCWR. A more realistic value would be about 6,400# assuming two people plus one duffel apiece in the Interstate, and full propane and freshwater tanks.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
I am purchasing an Airstream Interstate and wanted to know if anyone could recommend a shipping company?

Any input would help

Thank you

1st time Airstream Interstate owner
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Any shipping info you can send to:

Kurt@aronassociates.com
Old 02-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #65
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
hi,

presume that you're taking delivery to Boca....

from where?

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:15 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Iowa
Old 02-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #67

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
I am purchasing an Airstream Interstate and wanted to know if anyone could recommend a shipping company?
If it was me, I'd fly up to Iowa, have the seller pick me up at the airport, and drive it back home myself. It would be a pity if your Airstream's first road trip is with a stranger at the wheel! But if that's not possible, for whatever reason, you do have some options…

If you bought from a dealer, the first place to check is with the dealer; they may be able to deliver it for you, or handle all the arrangements for you. Dealers like Dave Abrogast or Colonial Airstream, who do business nationwide, probably have transporters that they regularly do business with.

If it was a private sale, or if the dealer wants to charge you an arm and a leg for delivery— though with power steering and automatic transmission you can drive an Interstate with just one arm and leg— then I'd suggest going to Google and typing in "vehicle transport companies." You'll find links to companies like National Transport and A1 Auto Transport, among others. After you've picked a "short list" of possible sources, check each of their records with the Better Business Bureau before getting quotes so that you don't waste your time getting quotes from a disreputable company.

Given the size of an Interstate, you've got two options if you don't want the vehicle driven to you under its own power: a lowboy trailer over the road, or a flatbed rail car. In either case, verify the shipping terms in advance, and make sure it includes insurance; if the unit is damaged in transit, you want the transporter's insurance to make it good, not your insurance company. That's usually easier (fewer lawyers) if the shipping contract specifically includes insurance coverage.

Finally, have the seller send you recent digital "before" photographs of the unit (all sides) before it's loaded on the transport, and you take "after" photographs after it's unloaded at the destination. That way, if your Interstate arrives in anything other than pristine condition, you can determine whether the damage occurred while the seller had it, or while the transporter had it. Most professional transporters are good at what they do, or they wouldn't still be in business, but accidents do happen, and it's always best to be able to prove when any damage occurred.

Also, if the sale was done remotely rather than face-to-face, it may be best to have all documentation is sent separately by registered mail (not shipped in the vehicle), so that the documentation is sent insured and has to be delivered in person with a return receipt. The last thing you need is for the bill of sale, title/certificate of origin, or the odometer certificate to disappear before you can register the vehicle in your home state.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Thank you everyone.
Very helpful information. I am going to call a couple dealers to also see who they recommend. Waiting on quote from showroom transport.
I would do the drive and it is the way id like to do it, but with work and the fact I am surprising my wife and kids, I'm going to get it shipped down, detailed and bring it home on a Friday afternoon.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Thank you everyone.
Very helpful information. I am going to call a couple dealers to also see who they recommend. Waiting on quote from showroom transport.
I would do the drive and it is the way id like to do it, but with work and the fact I am surprising my wife and kids, I'm going to get it shipped down, detailed and bring it home on a Friday afternoon.

Which Interstate did you buy?

Just wondrin'.

Maggie
Old 02-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Hi Maggie

It's a white 2010 interstate lounge edition. I can't tell you how excited I am. I've wanted one for a long time.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Hi Maggie

It's a white 2010 interstate lounge edition. I can't tell you how excited I am. I've wanted one for a long time.
Well, we're a bit biased on them, but I think you will love it.

Keep us posted on its' arrival, and your families' reaction.

Maggie
Old 02-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #72
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Hi Maggie

Congrats on your I3500. We too have a white 2011 lounge. White ones are faster that silver or black!!! LOL, I jest. What is going to be your inaugural trip?
Road Jager
Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadJager View Post
Congrats on your I3500. We too have a white 2011 lounge. White ones are faster that silver or black!!! LOL, I jest. What is going to be your inaugural trip?
Road Jager

No, no, NO! Silver is fastest!

Actually, they're all good.

We honk and wave if we see any of ya on the highway.

Maggie
Old 02-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadJager View Post
Road Jager
Inaugural trip: I am planning a surpise trip by flying the four of us, my wife and two kids up to pick it up and then driving it back down to Florida over theyre spring break. I am still trying to figure out how I am going to tell them to pack they're bags and go to the airport with no idea of where they are going.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Inaugural trip: I am planning a surpise trip by flying the four of us, my wife and two kids up to pick it up and then driving it back down to Florida over theyre spring break. I am still trying to figure out how I am going to tell them to pack they're bags and go to the airport with no idea of where they are going.
Sounds like a great plan!

Have fun, and will look for you on the road.

Maggie
Old 02-09-2012, 06:48 AM   #76
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
When I had my Interstate the servicing was done at the local Dodge dealer. Are the MB dealers able to service these vehicles now?. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #77

2012 Interstate Coach
Some. Not all Mercedes dealers are equipped to work on Sprinters. For example, the New Orleans dealer doesn't, because he still hasn't built a repair bay big enough for to handle one, but the Baton Rouge Mercedes dealer can. Until he has the oversized repair bay, Mercedes won't authorize the New Orleans dealer to sell Sprinters. Part of my research before buying a Sprinter-based class B was to check on this.

Basically, if the Mercedes dealer sells Sprinters, they service Sprinters. If they don't sell them, they don't work on them, either.

Don't expect former Dodge or Freightliner Sprinter dealers to necessarily service Mercedes Sprinters, either. When Mercedes took over the imprint, they made some changes to the van that could trip up mechanics only familiar with the older models.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Some. Not all Mercedes dealers are equipped to work on Sprinters. For example, the New Orleans dealer doesn't, because he still hasn't built a repair bay big enough for to handle one, but the Baton Rouge Mercedes dealer can. Until he has the oversized repair bay, Mercedes won't authorize the New Orleans dealer to sell Sprinters. Part of my research before buying a Sprinter-based class B was to check on this.

Basically, if the Mercedes dealer sells Sprinters, they service Sprinters. If they don't sell them, they don't work on them, either.

Don't expect former Dodge or Freightliner Sprinter dealers to necessarily service Mercedes Sprinters, either. When Mercedes took over the imprint, they made some changes to the van that could trip up mechanics only familiar with the older models.
We have always taken ours (Mercedes diesel) to Peterbilt for routine maintenance, and they have done a great job.

Maggie
Old 02-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Well
It's not over till the inks dry
Anyone have a good recommendation for rv financing?
The one I've been working says alls good than basically wants my next of kin.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Well
It's not over till the inks dry
Anyone have a good recommendation for rv financing?
The one I've been working says alls good than basically wants my next of kin.
Booo!

Have you tried a Credit Union?

We had good luck refinancing ours from Thor to a Credit Union a couple of years ago, dropping the interest rate by quite a bit.

Good luck.

Maggie