Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2016, 05:34 PM   #421
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lake Mary , Florida
Marc told he always remove those nut covers before anybody work with the tires, because people assume they are nuts but not covers, thus braking them twisting with an air gun. Actually, once I came to Discount tires I myself thought they were nuts, otherwise I would definitely remove them before guys work on the wheels. Personally I prefer never give to anyone to do anything with any of my vehicles, if I can do it myself, because any mechanics always have tendency to brake one or another part of any car, regardless.
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:42 PM   #422
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Those lug nut covers appear to be available on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-0001.../dp/B00Z8G6G40
Doesn't mention Airstream but they are from Alcoa.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #423
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
I am about ready to pull the trigger on one. Will be at the dealer on Wednesday. Been very educational reading this thread.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:20 PM   #424
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Thank you UKDUDE! :-)

GoWhereTowed, keep us posted. With pictures
Old 03-06-2016, 08:16 PM   #425
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
New question came up, Interstaters, does anyone know how all equipment on the roof behaves under the hot south sun if the bus parked outside? How the bus behaves humidity-wise under the full car cover in summer? Any experience shares are appreciated!
Old 03-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #426
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
New question came up, Interstaters, does anyone know how all equipment on the roof behaves under the hot south sun if the bus parked outside? How the bus behaves humidity-wise under the full car cover in summer? Any experience shares are appreciated!
My Interstate is parked outside 24/7 and there are no trees at the parking lot of my apartment complex. There's no trouble with any of the roof-mounted items due to exposure to sun or rain.

The air conditioner shroud will eventually have to be replaced due to UV exposure degrading the plastic, but you can prevent— or at least delay— that occurrence by painting the shroud. Painting it white is best no matter what color your Interstate is, because it helps keep the coils cooler for maximum air conditioner efficiency. But even if you don't paint the shroud, it should still last several years before needing to be replaced.

I don't know anyone who uses a car cover on their Interstate. Windshield covers, yes; whole-vehicle covers, no. Trying to install a vehicle cover on a vehicle that's ten feet tall is more trouble than it's worth, and no cover fits tightly enough to keep from flapping in the wind. Over time, a cover will work like sandpaper to damage your van's finish, causing more damage than the cover would prevent. In addition to trapping condensation, that is. Remember that this is a vehicle made of solid steel, painted and clear-coated (the white ones aren't clear-coated, though) and pretty resistant to weather all on their own. Covers are neither required nor desired. You might consider tire covers if you like, but I don't use them and haven't seen evidence of UV degradation on the tires yet after four years of service. The longer the van sits without being used, the more that tire covers become useful, and mine never sits for more than two or three weeks without being used for something. But a tight-fitting exterior windshield cover is definitely worthwhile to minimize heat buildup inside the van and I urge you to buy one. I got mine at Eurocampers.

Anyway, back to the roof, about the only maintenance you'll ever have to do on the roof is wash/wax it occasionally, and inspect the seams and roof penetrations annually to make sure nothing is beginning to leak. Unless you have a close encounter with a low overhead obstruction, of course…
Old 03-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #427
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
What a detailed answer! Thanks.
How do you wax the roof?
Old 03-06-2016, 11:39 PM   #428
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I use my 10' step ladder to get up on the roof and go from there. I use Eagle Wash & Wax so all I have to do is towel it off.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:52 AM   #429
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Marc, do you just spray the wax over the entire roof, right? And after few minutes towel off? That's all, right?

Btw, Protagonist, after your advise I bough the cover today on Amazon (it will be delivered this week I will post my review here and will show a picture):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
Old 03-07-2016, 02:29 AM   #430

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Marc, do you just spray the wax over the entire roof, right? And after few minutes towel off? That's all, right?

Btw, Protagonist, after your advise I bough the cover today on Amazon (it will be delivered this week I will post my review here and will show a picture):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
That's similar to the one I have.

Important note: With the cover in place you will not be able to open the front doors more than a few inches. If you have to open a front door (say to extend the awning) you have to unhook the cover from the door first.

Helpful but not essential: I got a piece of foam pipe insulation pre-split on one side, and cut it to the same lengths as the windshield wipers. When I put the windshield cover on, I also slide the insulation over the wipers. That keeps the wiper blades from getting messed up by abrasion against the cover.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:26 AM   #431
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Will check and do the same once I receive it, thank you
Old 03-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #432
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Basically you wash and rinse and then spray the wax on. Then dry it off. Seems to last fairly long.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:59 AM   #433
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Usually I do not use wax on my black cars, because it always difficult to wipe it off clearly, and it always left a white residue which needs to be removed with more detailed effort. I use a Maguaire finishing liquid for my black cars, it always clear and clean, and easy to work with.

However, I think I will follow your recommendation with the AI roof - will spray wax, because if even not clearly wipe off and the residues will be left, anyway it is not visible there, and only for protection.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:08 PM   #434
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Eagle One Wash & Wax is not really a "spray" wax. It's a clear liquid that goes on the vehicle while it's still wet. When yuu dry it off, there's really no residue like most waxes tend to leave.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:52 PM   #435

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Eagle One Wash & Wax is not really a "spray" wax. It's a clear liquid that goes on the vehicle while it's still wet. When yuu dry it off, there's really no residue like most waxes tend to leave.
Think of it as Rain-X for painted surfaces.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:09 AM   #436
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Got today the urine :-) fluid at Walmart at 12 bucks for 2.5 liters.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:26 AM   #437
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Mr B that seems a bit high for Urine Fluid. ;(

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:35 AM   #438

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Mr B that seems a bit high for Urine Fluid. ;(
I believe he meant 2.5 gallons, not liters.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:54 AM   #439
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Ha ha Protag nice catch. I meant the Urine Fluid. Thought that was usually free.

Funny's don't always translate well from ones mind to written. Sometime that should just stay in my head.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:58 AM   #440

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
I meant the Urine Fluid. Thought that was usually free.
Free or not depends on who bought the beer.