Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #261
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Thanks Teamaron - I'll look into fans of b van forum, I'm thinking of Yahoo ?
I know here we had a very well done thread on Airstream Interstate vs RoadTrek that done not too long ago. I know most don't have that kind of extensive knowledge of Leisure Van product line.
But to get their brochure! Leisure Van wanted so much information, no thanks. Why not just let me PDF download? But no.
Mockinbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #262
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
You might also check out the Sprinter forums.

Sprinter - Sprinter-Forum

They have separate sections for different Sprinter-based RV brands.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #263
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
dry camping success

We have just finished 3 weeks in Glacier-Waterton and Yellowstone, hooking up to electricity overnight only once during this time.

We drove several hours on most days and were delighted with the performance of our 6 year old Interstate, which handled the mountains without breaking a sweat and didn't need the generator once to charge batteries.

We also had no problems slipping into those small, inexpensive, no-reservation forest sites.

Must say, too, that we have become experts at minimal-water bathing.

Love our Interstate.

Maggie
Old 08-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #264
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist

Start with taking a look at the back of the fixture, if you can get to it. If the courtesy light works like most taillights, you'd have to remove bulb and socket together from the back of the fixture in order to change the bulb.

If that doesn't help, then I'll have to experiment a little and think of something else.

I broke down and called Airstream customer service.

Found out that you cannot replace just bulb. You have to order a new piece, part #512377.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same dilemma.

Go Airstream!!!
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #265

2012 Interstate Coach
Love it, warts and all…

Just found a couple new warts, while camping in northern Mississippi.

1 - Fire extinguisher bracket broke. While driving to the campground, I heard something rattling by the passenger-side rear seat next to the sliding side door, but couldn't figure out what it was. Found it this morning; it was the fire extinguisher bouncing around behind the seat. The bracket is designed for vertical mount, but was installed horizontally. The bracket not only broke, but also partially pulled away from the wall.

2 - Air conditioner developed a leak. Annoying, but I know the cause. During Hurricane Isaac, I had my Interstate parked where it was sheltered from high winds, but there were some nearby trees that weren't as sheltered, that lost a lot of leaves and some small branches. I've probably got leaves and other detrius blocking the condensate drain. I don't routinely carry a ladder long enough to get me onto the roof, so cleaning it out will just have to wait.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #266
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Saint Louis , Missouri
My fire extinguisher is also installed vertically. Was the panel damaged where it pulled away? Were you able to repair it yourself and reattach?
yeziad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #267
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
[QUOTE="Protagonist"]
1 - Fire extinguisher bracket broke. While driving to the campground, I heard something rattling by the passenger-side rear seat next to the sliding side door, but couldn't figure out what it was. Found it this morning; it was the fire extinguisher bouncing around behind the seat. The bracket is designed for vertical mount, but was installed horizontally. The bracket not only broke, but also partially pulled away from the wall.

Because it was installed on a Monday at the factory.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #268

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by daizey View Post
My fire extinguisher is also installed vertically. Was the panel damaged where it pulled away? Were you able to repair it yourself and reattach?
No real panel damage. There's no fixing the bracket, though. That plastic piece of cheapness is broken to a fare-thee-well, at the band that clamps around the extinguisher. If I can find one to fit the extinguisher, I'll replace the plastic bracket with a metal one. If I can't find a metal bracket that fits the extinguisher, then Velcro hooks glued on the wall and Velcro loops glued on the extinguisher should do just as well, if less elegantly.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #269
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Protagonist,
Hope you don't mind another un-necessary post. I must have too much time on my hands. Experimenting with posting photos'.
Mockinbrd

Name:   image-3465504196.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  46.8 KB

Name:   image-648008186.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  28.6 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1707097089.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	176217

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3592274465.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	176218
Mockinbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #270

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockinbrd View Post
Protagonist,
Hope you don't mind another un-necessary post. I must have too much time on my hands. Experimenting with posting photos'.
Mockinbrd
I'm not a moderator, so it's not my call. But let me suggest this…

For any future experiments, especially if they're not pictures of Airstreams, please go to the "Airstream Community/Our Community/Off Topic" section.

You don't want to gain a reputation as a thread hijacker, or worse, a spammer. Not until you've got a few more rivets to your name, at least.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #271
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Mercedes vans waiting to be turned into Interstates!

According to a recent first hand account, "Airstream Is Booming......",

".........or so we were told on the tour today. Hiring right and left and can't get enough people - lots of overtime including working 5 days a week and sometimes 2 shifts - increasing the output to 45 trailers a week this month and a backlog of over 800 orders... The area next to the factory where they used to store new trailers awaiting shipment is well over half full with new Mercedes vans waiting to be turned into Interstates."

Can't wait to see the new 2014 Airstream Interstates next month!!!
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #272
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
2014 Sprinter Chassis, destined for 2015 Interstate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post
According to a recent first hand account, "Airstream Is Booming......",

Can't wait to see the new 2014 Airstream Interstates next month!!!
Speaking of 2014's, the Sprinter platform is going to be refreshed next year, and I am curious as to when we might see Interstates based on the new platform. Of particular interest is the addition of many significant safety (some call "nanny") features. Included among these are a cross wind stability program, and others found in MB cars like Blind Spot Information.

Do you think Airstream will offer these as an option on the Interstates? I am encouraged by fact that they are pretty much the only Sprinter B class RV out there already with the additional side airbags (also an option on the Sprinters.) I'd sure like to have a state of the art vehicle in a year or two.

Here's a link to the Updates: Mercedes Sprinter updated to take on Ford Transit, Ram ProMaster

I like the looks as well. One other item of note, they are lowering the chassis for better stability... do you think this will impact the manufacture of Interstates?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #273
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post

Do you think Airstream will offer these as an option on the Interstates? I am encouraged by fact that they are pretty much the only Sprinter B class RV out there already with the additional side airbags (also an option on the Sprinters.) I'd sure like to have a state of the art vehicle in a year or two.
Three options I'd like and would pay for are power driver's seat (the manual controls are just not very good IMHO), power slider door (when parked on anything other than level ground, it's a beast to open/close), and DuraBright Alcoa wheels (I'm getting tired of having to continually polish them. Can't imagine what it'd be like to clean up the back side of the wheels when rotating. Probably have to unmount/remount tires to keep same side out as I suspect the inside is beyond DIY cleanup. Maybe could clear coat but that tends to yellow w/ time.)

Lowering the chassis won't be good for Airstream since the genset and tanks are already pretty close to the ground.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #274
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
I have clearcoated aluminum alloy rims on my 2006 MB E320 CDI which already have widespread filliform corrosion. They look like crap and not acceptable for a >50K car. Not at all happy with them. Chrome or untreated alloy would suit me better.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #275

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
One other item of note, they are lowering the chassis for better stability... do you think this will impact the manufacture of Interstates?
Lowered chassis could require re-engineering of the fresh and gray tanks, generator, battery box, discharge hose reel and macerator pump, all things that mount underneath. Sliding step is already low-profile, so it probably wouldn't affect that.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #276
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Speaking of 2014's, the Sprinter platform is going to be refreshed next year, and I am curious as to when we might see Interstates based on the new platform. Of particular interest is the addition of many significant safety (some call "nanny") features. Included among these are a cross wind stability program, and others found in MB cars like Blind Spot Information.

Here's a link to the Updates: Mercedes Sprinter updated to take on Ford Transit, Ram ProMaster

I like the looks as well. One other item of note, they are lowering the chassis for better stability... do you think this will impact the manufacture of Interstates?

Thanks for your thoughts.
--The cross-wind stability feature utilizes the braking system to control lane drift due to larger vehicles and/or cross winds. This is a continued development of the ABS/DSC system and is pretty failsafe. In my shop we have few problems with this system. It is a Bosch system. It will be interesting to see what this system does to brake pad wear, especially out here on the windy plains of Oklahoma. One system that I would NEVER have on ANY vehicle is the the Active Body Control (ABC). This system has hydraulic pressurized shocks and, in some cases, the sway bars are also pressurized. These systems function in excess of 2500 psi. They start component-leakage, struts, hoses and distribution blocks, at about 50,000 miles and the cost to repair is frightening. Even owning a shop, I find the potential of failure and the cost to be out of my league.
The discussion of lowering an I3500 is as Protagonist stated would require re-engineering. I believe that if the engineers at Mercedes Benz, who are some of the best in the world, felt that the Sprinter should be lower of higher, it would have been engineered accordingly. Some of the after-market 'engineering' I have seen either installed on vehicles, or for sale have not taken into account the requirement for total vehicle engineering; spring rates vs. shock valving, wheel bearing loading, vehicle ground clearance or integrated steering/stability/braking system calibration. Just try to get some alignment specs. from these companies concerning there products on vehicles....it is virtually impossible.
Good Luck with those non-factory modifications and be cautious about their claims.
Road Jager
Old 05-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #277
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
I have clearcoated aluminum alloy rims on my 2006 MB E320 CDI which already have widespread filliform corrosion. They look like crap and not acceptable for a >50K car. Not at all happy with them. Chrome or untreated alloy would suit me better.
Bought a Meguiars DynoCone setup and will see if that makes the polishing task any easier.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #278
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Bought a Meguiars DynoCone setup and will see if that makes the polishing task any easier.
Funny you should mention Meguiars.

After I washed my interstate this morning, and of course the neighbors have to chime in that it wasn't even dirty (they don't see what I see), I tried another leftover polish from my boating days, Meguiars marine RV metal polish paste (blue) on my wheels.

It worked great. I have tried Flitz, Maas, and about a half dozen other polishes and I think this gave the best results. I didn't use a cone or polishing ball, all elbow grease, but I imagine results would have been even better.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #279
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
So I gather the move to the platform will take some time. I wonder if they will get an advanced release of the MB 2014 sprinter in order to engineer their changes. With the new platforms coming out late this year, I would expect that Airstream might try to buy up a certain number of old platforms and wait at least another year to introduce the new. Is that the way it usually works?

So maybe we will have to wait for a 2016 interstate built on a 2015 MB platform?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #280
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
The engine choice is another concern. They sure are downsizing the Diesel in the 2014 model cars (2.1L down from 3.0). Hope they stick with an adequate motor in the Sprinters for the foreseeable future.