Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2021, 09:30 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Fan blade separation from fan clutch assembly

I have a 2014 MB 3500. At 97,500 miles my AC compressor seized up and needed to be replaced along with the condenser and receiver dryer.

3500 miles later the fan blade separated from the fan clutch and cause some damage to the radiator.

Upon inspection, the four bolts that held the fan blade to the clutch assembly all were missing.

I reached out to the shop who did the AC repair to see if they removed the fan blade to access anything during the install of the AC System.

They said that they did not remove the fan when installing the new AC components.

I have no idea what is involved in installing a new AC system in a sprinter van and whether they’re just trying to dodge responsibility or not.

It's hard for me to believe that all 4 bolts that hold the fan blade to the clutch somehow loosened on their own.

Do any of you have any insight to guide me on whether this was happenstance or related to the AC installation?

TIA

Mark
Old 09-15-2021, 09:53 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Hey Mark, Mark here with a definite probably. My background - 45 years as an import tech with the last 10 being heavily German and euro stuff. Pretty sure I've put a radiator or condenser in a Sprinter but they all blend together. First up, the fan and/or clutch assy. is often removed in any front of engine work, if for no other reason then space or convenience. 2, would be really unusual for bolts that had been tight for 90K plus to ALL come loose. 3, seen it happen many times that bolts/nuts are started finger tight and then need to be finally brought to full tightness (these kind of fasteners are rarely torqued with a torque wrench due to access issues). One way to get an idea on some of this would be to get access to an on-line repair manual and see what it says, might even find this in a you tube video. I have a couple friends with sprinter vans, when I get a chance I'll look but this could take several days. Much more to possibly say about this.
Good luck, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:34 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdes8 View Post
Hey Mark, Mark here with a definite probably. My background - 45 years as an import tech with the last 10 being heavily German and euro stuff. Pretty sure I've put a radiator or condenser in a Sprinter but they all blend together. First up, the fan and/or clutch assy. is often removed in any front of engine work, if for no other reason then space or convenience. 2, would be really unusual for bolts that had been tight for 90K plus to ALL come loose. 3, seen it happen many times that bolts/nuts are started finger tight and then need to be finally brought to full tightness (these kind of fasteners are rarely torqued with a torque wrench due to access issues). One way to get an idea on some of this would be to get access to an on-line repair manual and see what it says, might even find this in a you tube video. I have a couple friends with sprinter vans, when I get a chance I'll look but this could take several days. Much more to possibly say about this.
Good luck, Mark D
Appreciate your comments. I will research for on line repair manual to validate!
Mark